• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hurricane Katrina (1 Viewer)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Apparently anarchy's so rife it's now shoot to kill for anyone firing upon servicemen.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think looting should be allowed for essentials because the store owners will be able to recoup for their losses through insurance and people need to eat. The troops should be focusing on preventing violent crime and focusing on rescuing and helping people as best they can.

The relief effort is a debacle, I just can't understand why they can't get food and water to people, this isn't some third world country, it's the richest nation in the world.

Rorix

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
I still do not understand why the government is so dam slow to feed all those people. They had plenty of warning too, you dont have a plan to evacuate 30 000 people and just think a few days later 'oh we better do something about food.' Dickhead leaders. Now if they found out that there was a stash of oil underneath the city, i bet that city would have been cleaned up the very next day.

If I had you as a White House advisor, you would have definately sorted shit out. Probably would have prevented the storm in the first place.

If the QB just pumpfaked the left and threw the hail mary to the WR we would have won the fucking superbowl :mad:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Geez, I love this situation. It reminds me heartily of some post-apocalyptic 80's movies where people are trapped and resort to cannibalism.

Mmmm, people.

Did anyone listen to Hack today? Apparently there's been some un-reported collapse in a safe-zone where 200 people died...more later, I suppose.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
An uncomfortably high proportion of these posts, especially on the first page, can be summarised with "LOL BUSH AMERIKKKA SUX LOL". Not cool. The median age in BoS is 16-18, and I expected much better.

Anyway, they National Guard and other authorities really have to play catch-up to restore a resemblance of law and order to the city. I've read first-hand reports on net blogs about rapes and murders. This really goes to show how easily people and society can degenerate into chaos. As the assertion goes, civilisation is 24 hours and 2 meals away from anarchy.

When it comes down to it, laws and society work only when people allow them to. Otherwise, when authority and the status quo break down, people will naturally become opportunistic, hence loot and steal, if only to live for another day.

Quite frankly, until the governmental authorities in NO manage to organise together adequate relief efforts, people are going to continue to loot shops and shoot one another. It's only human.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
it's terrible but what the fuck can authorities do to people who shoot down helicopters that are trying to evacuate people?

how can you arrest someone and hold them prisoner during a time like this?

it seems barbaric to say shoot to kill, and although I dont agree with it, the situation probably demands some sort of enforcement and it gets as ugly as this, and its very very frightening...

there isn't much to say on it, no judgement on it except for the treatment in the superdome, its just out right chaos and you don't know what the fuck.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Police indicated that people are free to loot for essentials.

Last edited:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
You See God Is A Communist!

Praise Thy Comrade God! For The Revolution!

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Police indicated that people are free to loot for essentials.
This seems reasonable. Where and when was this?

I have no idea about the motivations of the people trying to 'shoot' down rescue choppers. Until then, we can't really judge. If they are fired at, the police and guard will probably not fire back, as that will only escalate the situation.

The Bush administration is beginning to gain a reputation of lacking strong contingency or long-term plans. However, this could always be a situation where breakdowns of communication have occurred, which render the plans useless. Apparently, the reason they were unable to seal one of the breaches in the levee was because some of the Black Hawks had been requisitioned by the guard to rescue civilians trapped on rooftops.

Obviously, until they establish better communications, any plans made will fail from a lack of co-ordination.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It was on Newshour with old Black eyes. I think it may've been NO police chief too. I think a shoot to kill policy was ordered too (saw that on abc)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm not trying to be racist or anything but in all seriousness the black people are causing more trouble than the hurricane did.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
That is being racist, it's not that they're black.. it's that they're desperate people / criminals. The problem you have is that the more desperate people (those who had no where to escape to) and the criminals... were the ones that decided to stay.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
I was surprised to see Bush with a big grin to a reporter, saying that he 'understands people's anxiety'
I bet he will understand their anxiety when those starving souls feast from his flesh upon his arrival there tomorrow

Not suprising though -- this is his chance to be the big strong president in a time of peril (even though he doesn't seem to be doing that particularly well)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Gavrillo said:
Geez, I love this situation. It reminds me heartily of some post-apocalyptic 80's movies where people are trapped and resort to cannibalism.

Mmmm, people.

Did anyone listen to Hack today? Apparently there's been some un-reported collapse in a safe-zone where 200 people died...more later, I suppose.

MAd MAx 2?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I bet he will understand their anxiety when those starving souls feast from his flesh upon his arrival there tomorrow

Not suprising though -- this is his chance to be the big strong president in a time of peril (even though he doesn't seem to be doing that particularly well)
It will hopefully be very interesting. Every appearance he's made in his presidency has been so carefully staged. What's unique about his admin. is the way he's used images to communicate ideas, rather than words. The white house have huge headhunted media people who work on making the best stage possible for him. TV friendly. What the fuck are they going to do here? It will be one of the first tests of Bush I think.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Every appearance he's made in his presidency has been so carefully staged.
Wow! Who would of thought the president would stage appearances... this has been going on for many years in many countries.

What's unique about his admin. is the way he's used images to communicate ideas, rather than word.
I disagree.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I think looting should be allowed for essentials because the store owners will be able to recoup for their losses through insurance and people need to eat. The troops should be focusing on preventing violent crime and focusing on rescuing and helping people as best they can.
i agree. but you have to admit that is hard to regulate. its not like troops or police can go with the looters and say yep you can take this bag of rice but not this sound system...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Only Regan did it, but he was also an actor, so the Bush team have emphasised much more on the symbolism of the surroundings. Take the S11. speech with the Stat. of Lib. fantastically lit up, the 'Mission accomplished' president-warrior. No other admin. has poured so much into image. They understandably compensate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)