• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

i hate this! (1 Viewer)

ben150891

HSC
i really don't know what to do. i mean iv been considering degrees but i just don't know what to. This is really hard. i keep changing my mind. iv been considering primary school teaching, animal science and communications. how do i make a decision that will affect the rest of my life. i mean i know i can always transfer but i don't want to waste time.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Waste time.

It's better to waste a year or two here and now rather than 30 years in the future.

LordPc

HSC
this decision will not affect the rest of your life. the decisions you make after this one will

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Relax. Try something generalist like combined arts / education. that way you can try a bit of this and a bit of that and see what you like. Once you've started something, you can chop and change and get credit for prior studies.

Animal science is a difficult degree with a lot of general science subjects like chem and bio etc, so if you can try some of those subjects in another degree first, you'll know whether you realy want to do 4 years of them. Most grads from animal sci find it hard to find a job as its really geared towards postgrad research or farm management.

I just spent 6 years at uni doing vet (I did a year of animal sci first), and now i'm applying for a masters of primary teaching. But working as a vet at the same time. I don't feel like I've wasted time because I always wanted to do vet and I'm glad I can work as a vet, but I want other options for the future.

The decision you make now can always be modified and you can always change your mind at any stage. And its much easier to get into teaching primary post grad if you have a generalist degree to start with.

wLym

HSC
i really don't know what to do. i mean iv been considering degrees but i just don't know what to. This is really hard. i keep changing my mind. iv been considering primary school teaching, animal science and communications. how do i make a decision that will affect the rest of my life. i mean i know i can always transfer but i don't want to waste time.
If u dont know what u want to do, then dont gamble dice trying to decide. Its exactly what it says it is - "what YOU WANT". If u dont know, then ur not ready. Take a year off and do lots of work experience and get ur mind set. A gap year is also a good option to deal with the transition from schooling to the world. But if u r going to take a gap year then make sure u make plans. Theres nothing worse than going into a gap year without direction.

Kamal15

HSC
mmm this is actually a really interesting topic. There was a guy at the USYD high achievers reception who actually got up and talked about how many different subjects and electives he had completed in his 5 or 6 degrees. When he actually listed them they amounted to about 25 - 30 with the broadest range possible. I got to tlk to him a bit and he told me the reason he did it becos of the situation the op is in, he had no clue of what he wanted to do. So he set about sampling and experimenting and developing skills through music, science, maths, a bit of arts etc until he eventually got a phd in physics and now teaches at the university.
personally i think that you shouldnt feel pressured at this point, go with something and pursue it wholeheartedly. If you decide its not for you, dont be afraid to transfer and try out something else. but thats my two cents and ppl sometimes tell me off for giving crap advice :)!!!

chefman21

HSC
N/A
Here's some thoughts I have posted in a couple of other topics...

Re: Gap Year
A gap year is worth it - as long as it's productive. I actually wish I took a gap year after high school. The benefit of hindsight... If you do, I seriously recommend taking a working holiday overseas. Don't go to an English speaking country - get out of your comfort zone and immerse yourself in a new culture. France, Italy, Spain, Japan, China - the list goes on. There are plenty of "Aussie Bars" you can work at for cash, being bilingual looks great on your resume and you'll gain perspective on the world. What's more, waking up for your morning walk and wandering past the Arc de Triomphe, Pantheon or Colosseum or an old Japanese temple is amazing. Use it to make friends & network but don't party too much. Experience it. You can party anywhere but you can't see the Great Wall of China, Auschwitz, the Black Forest or the Taj Mahal everywhere.
Re: What to do...
Whatever you do, and speaking from my own personal experience, pick something that you have a keen interest in!

When I finished high school, I was either going to go to university to do IT or become a chef. I got good enough marks to get into university and picked IT mainly because of its good pay and easy hours. By halfway through the second year, I hated it. Great marks (distinction+) but I had no passion for it. So I dropped out.

I picked up my apprenticeship. After four years of working for very little pay (barely taking home $400 a week) and working 16-20 hours a day six days a week, I qualified. I have now been around the world, worked with some of the best chef's in the world and worked with some amazing people. It may be one of the most stressful jobs you can do (I've had Emergency Room doctors, Paramedics and Soldiers come through and drop out because of the stress and the hours), but I fell in love with food.

I think at the end of the day, find something you are passionate about and can really rally behind otherwise you will end up hating your and your degree. Don't try and convince yourself that you like something either! I'm now 26 and applying to do journalism (UTS,USYD) or business (USYD,UTS,MACQ).

I can either be a food & travel writer or restaurant critic/Michelin Guide Inspector if I get into Journalism, or a product/food researcher for someone like Relais & Chateaux, Simon Johnson or Leading Hotels of the World if I get into business. Find something that can open up the world!
Basically, find yourself a hobby or keen interest and then find something that enables you to do that or a degree that will allow to work with and around that. For example, food opened up journalism to be a food & travel writer or business to work with the aforementioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)