• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I need some serious guidance..... (1 Viewer)

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
I know it's a bit late in the year but my teacher and I realised that the wearable artwork i was doing wasn't going so well - it was becoming to broad and too expensive!! So i wanted to start anew but my teacher is getting me to do something that i really don't like....she wants me to put Jesus on the cross with his back to all these starving children/adults and have a woman kneeling down and begging for help. She wants me to do this artwork to say that God turns his back on people (something which i don't think is true if he exists) and i'm really having trouble getting my message through to her.

I've decided that instead I'm going to take control of MY work - i don't think i can change it now because she's already got me to draw the damn thing but i don't want this message to get across to other people. I don't want my name to be on an artwork that is something against religion - i don't want to discriminate. Should i try and change it completely or add my own little symbols to make the message something different - like that people ignore the sacrafice that jesus made and refuse to help the starving - like the government institutions and that..........?

I really need some outside input

What do you all think??

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
You've got one mixed up art teacher. They cannot dump their beliefs on you like that and expect you to be cool with it. espaecially with that particular theme.

stand up for what you want not what your teacher wants - no matter what they say.

go see the head teacher. I tell you what i had similar problems before and i told the teacher to stuff off - my work, my rules.

if you want your work to have symbols go for it - just don't let yourself get overthrown. Do your own stuff at home and bring it in and ask another teacher for guidance because s/he sure isn't.

Good luck.

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
i agree with duckof doom. my teacher changed my work so many times that i eventually told her to get lost.

you can change you artwork whenever you want to, just remember to get it finished on time. if you are doing somthing that you enjoy you are more likley to end up with a better result.
"my own little symbols to make the message something different - like that people ignore the sacrafice that jesus made and refuse to help the starving - like the government institutions and that..........?"
if you do this you'll have to be carful which government institution or rep that you pick - remember that our gov and people donated millions of dollars, more than any other country, to the aid of tsunami victims. maybe look at the refugee detention centers or another simialar issue especially with all the hype over the australian citizen that was deported.

goodluck and stand your ground!!

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
God didnt turn his back on them.thats freakin insane
we have turned our backs on the starving etc.
we r the ones with the resourses
stop blaming a god that otherwise they would say didnt exist. or thank him that ur not one of the starving. if he turned his back on them at least he is facing u

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
pirotess4 said:
. I don't want my name to be on an artwork that is something against religion - i don't want to discriminate. Should i try and change it completely or add my own little symbols to make the message something different - like that people ignore the sacrafice that jesus made and refuse to help the starving - like the government institutions and that..........?
Why do art teachers get to tell u what to do... isn' it like up to u...

students at my school doing art were complaining about the same thing... they decribed their ideas to me... and i must admit they were unique- talk about symbolic representation- and for some reason the teacher didn't like the ideas so they had to change them....

anyways... remeber ur art work is forever going to be gazing into ur face... so yeh it would be really hard having to confront ur own fine piece of art... everyday... feeling bad about it... so I say go ahead with the painitng changing it to pass on a different message...

I think if ur creative and artistic enough to be doing HSC art then u should be fine transforming it's meaning into something u wish to pass on...

perhaps u could show the childern and the lady beging the captors to free jesus

ahh i got it...

the starving children weren't starving until jesus was placed on the cross... u could make it look as though they were protesting by going back to starvation... and the woman begging for help could be turned into a women begging to see the face of jesus... being deprived of a last look into his bright glistenning face...

I don't know just an idea....

but anyways... what my fellow bosers said.. it's ur work...u should take charge... and let the meaning drift into something u can live with and accept.. let ur work be a true masterpiece in not only the eyes of the markers... but most importantly in ur eyes...

I wish u the best of luck....

soso

HSC
N/A
May be you can use what you have to demonstrate the push/pull people exert of religious concepts to promote their own agenda.

Think of the irony of both world wars where each side claimed god was on their side.

Think of the absence of god in places like concentration camps.

Think of your art teacher playing god with your art work. Perhaps you can replace jesus head whith the art teachers. Give it a crown with Art Teacher written on it.

What do you think?

bubble_tea

stuff what your art teacher is telling you and do what YOU want to do.
you still have quite a bit of time left, my friend made her B.O.W in a week! I think you should do something that reflects yourself and the world you live in rather than a comment on the world or society because thats really hard to prevent it from becoming too cliche

mossup

can you do the mossup?
cloud eight & nine tenths. Yes its frustrating
HSC
I can totally sympathise with your teacher butting in on it, and while it is really anoying and it is your artwork, a good way to get around your teacher is to take on some of her suggestions and say, "hey miss that was an interesting idea, and it lead me to ..........*insert idea here*......, so thanx for that"

its a bit lame i know, but your gunna need to cope with the teacher until the hsc is over and in so many cases i've seen people get on the bad side of teachers and hate art, or what ever subjects they happen to have the quarrel in!

Stick with it and goodluck! i really do hope it all turns out 4 u!!! (hope its not as goood as mine! hehehe Joke)

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
make it about aboriginals.

Then you are bound to get full marks.

Take for example, that peice of shit plado animation at art express last year, that got full marks purly for the fact that it was done by an aboriginal and about aboriginals.

i am not being racist, it is the markers that are racist. It was demening and patronising to give that work full marks.

So make jesus aborigional, and have him on the cross.

Full marks, right there.

Done and done.

Ohh, and I know you pinko's are gonna start whingeing, but the fact of the matter is that that video was in there purly because it was about aboriginals, and if your subject matter infers that you are aboriginal, you will get better marks.

The system is racist, all works should be judged equally, regardless of race.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)