• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

If you aren't ranked internally first but you get the highest raw HSC mark, will you be scaled less than the person in first? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends how well those ranked in the 80’s perform in the HSC. If your internal mark is 30 and external mark is 100. You get an average of 65 which is band 3. However if your peers in the 80s range improve and everyone in that rank of 80 get their average mark up to 50% for example you included, your estimated internal mark could be 50 and external would be 100. Averaging 75 which is band 4. Jimmy can double check if what I’m saying is total garbage lol.

There is also the possibility that sammantha's Assessment Mark may end up being slightly better than expected, the likelihood of which is dependent on the moderation process/her peers' performance in their HSC exam (as you mentioned), although this is a factor beyond her control.

Getting ready for the copy/paste season 👀

chaevely_park

HSC
The mark you get in the HSC exam is yours. That will be your external mark, there's no link to ranks with this. You can be ranked 20 and get the top mark if you get it in the actual exam. However, this won't be the same as your internal mark, which is where the ranks will be factored into it. This is fair because then whoever came first in the assessments at school gets a mark linked to this performance.
Does this mean that if you bomb/underperform in your internal exams (my 4U maths trials !!! very sad), that you can "recover" and get a Band 6 in the end? I thought that the HSC marks were allocated from highest to lowest according to your internal ranks?

carrotsss

HSC
Does this mean that if you bomb/underperform in your internal exams (my 4U maths trials !!! very sad), that you can "recover" and get a Band 6 in the end? I thought that the HSC marks were allocated from highest to lowest according to your internal ranks?
Only half of your mark is allocated like that (well it’s slightly more complicated but pretty much), making up your internal mark. However, the other 50%, your ‘external mark’, is completely dependent on how you perform in the actual hsc exam.

As long as your ranking isn’t awful, it’s still more than possible to get a band 6 so long as you perform sufficiently well in the hsc exam. Basically what I’m saying is, yes, you just need to make sure you ace that hsc exam!

Good luck! :)

iloveeggs

HSC
ralph22 said:
Hi all,

I understand how Moderated Assessment Marks are calculated and everything but just wondering if there are any implications for being on the same rank (not 1st or last) as someone. Here is what my cohort roughly looks like:
Rank 1: Sitting on an internal mark of 95
Rank 2: 90
Rank 3: 85
Rank 4 (me): 84
Rank 4 (other student): 84
Rank 6: 81

Let's say each student in the cohort goes into the HSC and gets above 93 (including me), however, the student who is on the same internal rank to me get's like an 82. How much will this affect my moderated assessment mark if i were to get say an 95 in the HSC?

IK this can be quite complicated but would appreciate any help as I'm sort of worried
im not that sure about your exact question but i thought typically schools try not to rank ppl the same to avoid this happening. in my school they look at the decimal places of your weighted mark to distinguish

so do you have the EXACT same mark as the person tied with you down to the decimals or are your rounded marks the same? you might want to discuss this with your head teacher for the subject/faculty.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
iloveeggs said:
@jimmysmith560 pls help
My understanding is that for ranks other than first or last, students ranked the same would simply be awarded the same Assessment Mark. In the case of first or last, the average of the highest or lowest two (or more) Examination Marks is determined and that average becomes the Assessment Mark of the equally ranked students. However, NESA does not mention anything about this process applying to ranks other than first or last, which can be interpreted as not applying to students in between.

In your particular case, your Assessment Mark and that of the other student with the same rank as you will be determined according to the equivalent Examination Mark. This means that your Assessment Mark and that of the other student will be adjusted to be similar to the fourth-highest Examination Mark achieved by anyone in your cohort. On the other hand, each of you will keep your own Examination Mark. In the example that you provided, the equivalent Examination Mark is 82, meaning that your Assessment Mark and that of the other student will be similar to 82. In maintaining the relative gaps, the Assessment Mark could be made higher than 82 (for example, 85). However, your overall HSC mark will be higher than the other student since you achieved a significantly higher Examination Mark:

I hope this helps! :D

Blue22

HSC
Is there some sort of calculator/formula available to figure out the moderated assessment marks?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok thanks for that. It seems quite unfair as though individual merit is not rewarded. So in this case, if the 4th highest HSC Marks was actually like 90 we would both get that for our moderated mark?
Yes, your Assessment Mark and that of the other student would be similar to 90.

I disagree with the notion of supposed unfairness. A higher rank would lead to a higher Assessment Mark. You control your own performance in your school-based assessment tasks/exams through regular study/preparation. Similarly, favourable HSC exam performance, which also requires thorough preparation, would translate into a favourable Examination Mark. Individual merit is indeed rewarded. This is the reason that when considering your example, you end up with an overall HSC mark significantly higher than that of your peer.

spiderfan44

HSC
Sure but considering that i have essentially the same rank as the person in front of me and the person who is on the same rank as me got rounded up it's actually not that fair because the person above me will benefit far more despite almost having the same mark
if youre worried you could always help the person out in the subject so maybe their hsc is better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)