• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

If you got into both pharmacy and medical science, which one would you do? (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
If you got into both pharmacy and medical science, which one would you do?

can you give 1 reason why you would pick one over the other?

Dylanamali

HSC
With the assumption that you have a desire to get into Med, here are my thoughts:

1. Pharmacy
- Good, because you have a decent backup career available if you complete the degree.
- Bad, because it's 4 years rather then 3 so if your seeking postgraduate entry it will take a longer amount of time.

2. Med Sci
- Good, because it prepares you for GAMSAT.
- Good, because it's a short 3 yr degree.
- BAD, because the job prospects are quite poor - unless you see yourself becoming an academic or a researcher.
- GREAT, because generally uni's have schemes which make it easier to get into Med, e.g. UNSW and UWS.

I chose Adv Sci @ UWS. Reasons:
- Easy course, means that I will have a GPA close to 7.0. (Good for graduate entry)
- Short course, 3 years (Good for graduate entry)
- Adv Sci -> Med pathway/stream, lowers the UMAT threshold for Adv Sci students (Good for a possible lateral transfer)
- Scholarship (5k/year)
- Location (10 mins away from home)

And this was a decision I made with an ATAR sufficient enough to get into Med Sci @ UNSW, Pharm @ USYD, Optom @ UNSW, Physio etc.
And I'm definitely happy with it.

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
With the assumption that you have a desire to get into Med, here are my thoughts:

1. Pharmacy
- Good, because you have a decent backup career available if you complete the degree.
- Bad, because it's 4 years rather then 3 so if your seeking postgraduate entry it will take a longer amount of time.

2. Med Sci
- Good, because it prepares you for GAMSAT.
- Good, because it's a short 3 yr degree.
- BAD, because the job prospects are quite poor - unless you see yourself becoming an academic or a researcher.
- GREAT, because generally uni's have schemes which make it easier to get into Med, e.g. UNSW and UWS.

I chose Adv Sci @ UWS. Reasons:
- Easy course, means that I will have a GPA close to 7.0. (Good for graduate entry)
- Short course, 3 years (Good for graduate entry)
- Adv Sci -> Med pathway/stream, lowers the UMAT threshold for Adv Sci students (Good for a possible lateral transfer)
- Scholarship (5k/year)
- Location (10 mins away from home)

And this was a decision I made with an ATAR sufficient enough to get into Med Sci @ UNSW, Pharm @ USYD, Optom @ UNSW, Physio etc.
And I'm definitely happy with it.
wow thanks that was really helpful. However I was actually thinking about specific careers in medical science vs specific careers in pharmacy. Not about best possible route to medicine

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
Pharmacy = pharmacist - dispensing drugs/medications, educating patients regarding dosing, how to take the drug, when, with/without food etc, making creams etc. If your in it for the "money" then it basically becomes a glorified retail job where you try to sell as much goods as possible.

Med Sci = research depending on what your interested in and what area you would like to pursue OR academic which is a relatively logical step after completing research, writing papers, completing a PhD and then possibly going into lecturing etc.
Because Med Sci is only a 3 year degree, the job prospects with solely a Med Sci degree is quite limited. If you want to be competitive for research or academic positions you definitely need to do a Hons and/or a PhD.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Dylanamali knows what he's talking about!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)