• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I'm in a bit of a pickle...optom. or med. imaging? (1 Viewer)

BLERGHtrue

HSC
Okay, so I have a little dilemma. UAC applications are due at the end of this month, and i'm still tossing up ideas on the career path I should take.

Yes, i know, i shouldn't rush it, i should try things out and blah :blah: but honestly i really want to get into the workforce ASAP without dwindling for another few years. Have already gone through 12 years of full-time education, and not looking forward to having to go through another 8 or so 'til i seriously get into a careers

I've pretty much narrowed it down to Optom. or Med. Imaging (3 catergories, i know) to be my main options. Here's a comparative list i made:

OPTOMETRY
PRO

-high demand in australia
-high job growth rate
-starting salaries are 50,000(sydney)-65,000(outer regions, interstate) but can go up to 100,000 as you go on
-more income potential if you start starting your own businesses/employed in some big company etc (like 200,000)
-free glasses for the rents
-aging population + computers/&other small screens intergrated in our lives will increase the glasses-contacts-laser surgery industry + more people accessible to services
-rents want me to become one
-recognised in NZ as well. and bits of the pacific regions
-lots of client interaction involved
-a less stressful and demanding job in general
-i have friends keen on doing Optometry @UNSW

CON

-haven't done UMAT. have to try to get in through transfer
-competition is HIGH (UNSW takes only 40 afterall!). the threshold is 95UAI but a recent survey found that the minimun was more likely 98, unless your UMAT score was...crazy good
-seeing my estimated UAI is like 90 and i'm up against other 95+ people for that Distinction average rank to try to transfer, (from Science/adv. science) chances are, I won't get in and i'd have to apply post grad
-if i apply as a grad, i'll have to do the GAMSAT. seems quite painful.
-if i apply as a grad, not only do i have to go against crazy UAI+UMAT kids but it will be another 5 years of education before i really enter the qualified workforce. (that's 8 years out of highschool total)
-jobs within accessible area are limited and lower-paying.

MEDICAL IMAGING PROFESSIONAL (1 of 3 sectors, haven't decided which yet)
PROS

-realistically enter-able degree (80-89 UAI range @USYD)
-high demand in australia
-jobs are largely located within cities or big country towns (for the hospitals with the facilities)
-starting salaries 67,200-131,000 (after completing requirements...takes +10years) + (salaries based on award rates)
-a pretty cool job in general
-industry is either in the private or government sector - but more so in the government and government jobs are stable and has equal treatment to women
-internationally recognised degree (i.e. high volunteer-overseas-usefulness potential)

CON

-high risk of being exposed to dangerous doses of radiation (only if you're careless/stupid. but still)
-more demanding and stressful job (dealing with radiation here...and patient's lives)

Okay, so i can't think of so many bad points on becoming Med. Imaging Proffessional. However, those 2 points alone are VERY BIG DEALS.

Basically, the problem i see is that if i DO go with the Optom. pathway and (most possibily have to) do it as a grad, effectively using up 8 years of my life, by the time i enter the workforce as a qualified optometrist i could've already been settled down and promoted to 80,000/yr in Med. Imaging. But then again, i could be earning more in Optom later on to make up for that. :mad1:

Chances are I'm going to pick Adv. Sci. or Sci. (@UNSW) to go through before i really consider anything, but I'd like to hear anyone else's opinions&additional info i've happened to have missed. :)

Don't bother suggesting the whole 'do what you're interested in' thing. Let's assume I'm interested in both equally atm. Because i am, according to what i know on each subject so far. I did go to my career adviser for help, and we basically agreed that i was in a pickle. My friends have split opinions themselves.

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Additional con for Optometry: medico-legal responsibility for early diagnosis referral of eye condition(s) to opthamologists, working with quack iridologists, etc. But then again many patients go and see the GP about cataracts, etc.
Business orientation, especially working for a company such as Luxottica which ows: OPSN, Laubman Pank, Budget eyewear, etc.

Looking at what you've written for medical imaging I suggest you look more into it before tossing up butween the two. Both your cons/negatives are highly unlikely, since you are protected behind lead shields and screens, wear radiation tags/lead vests (if you are required to be with the patient), the machinery has become alot safer/accurate since the early 70's and attributable cancers amoungst technicians is rare. Also the diagnosis is usually in the hands of the radiologist, also for things like IV contrast, radiated stuff are mainly physician administered and not by the radiographer. But things such as ultrasounds, etc remain highly operator dependent.

Also for Optom, if your really interested and can move, I suggest you look at interstate options and see if any don't require umat, etc. Failing that why don't you start by doing a science or medical imaging and then try transferring into optom. But then again you need a high GPA once you start a degree to transfer into a competitive course as you have already mentioned.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)