• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Important: Question regarding Skrzynecki poems (1 Viewer)

fusionillusion

HSC
I told my tutor which poems I had chosen for my AOS essay: "10 Mary Street" and "In the folk museum" and he said that markers don't like 'In the folk museum' because its not cultural enough and that some schools don't even allow their students to choose it etc. However, in the markers comments from past HSC exams, it was recommended that students not limit themselves to poems that dealt with cultural belonging.

Quote: "Enhancing their overall quality, many of these responses did not limit themselves to the poems which dealt with notions of cultural belonging, like Feliks Skrzynecki, 10 Mary Street or Migrant Hostel, but developed their argument in interesting ways by referring to the other poems, including In the Folk Museum."

Is what my tutor said true? Can someone clarify this?

Thanks in advance :)

nightweaver066

HSC
As long as you can tie the essay question and the ideas relating to belonging with quotes from 'In the Folk Museum' together, it should not be a problem.

fusionillusion

HSC
So you don't think I will lose marks for doing "In the folk museum"?

I'm just so confused, everyone is saying something different... :eek2:

Bobbo1

HSC
Doing one text compared to another shouldn't limit your marks, likewise choosing different poems/extracts shouldn't prevent you from achieving the high marks. Just choose the poem which YOU feel comfortable with and which you can easily adapt to any given question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)