• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Integrated and Block? What is the difference? (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
Hey, can someone define integrated and block essays? I'm not really sure, but I'm assuming integrated is where you seamlessly link everything together or something?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
In a nutshell, integrated essays are those which have most, if not all your texts in each paragraph that you're talking about. Integrated is often harder to tackle but very easy to get that 'integration of texts' obviously. Block essays, which can still be very easily maintained and integrated throughout (with some simple steps and ideas) are where each paragraph will have one designated text.

Often you will find that integrated essays focus on a theme or idea per paragraph, whereas block essays have the text as a focus to prove and develop the thesis.

I hope this helps.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty Much what Aquawhite said.

Integrated = Talk about 1 main idea from 1 text, then link it with the other text in the next paragraph.

Block = Talk about 1 whole text and then the other text and then try and link it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally... it really doesn't matter.

I am doing a block style essay for AOS but in my last paragraph, I have them all in the one paragraph. In my Mod A essay, despite only having two texts, I integrate the two but I must work on my integration to be a little more implicit rather than just pointing out what links 'stuff'.

Try integrated if you have never done it.

acemusic415

HSC
Can anybody provide examples or link me to like one example where an integrated essay has been done well. Mainly, I do block essays with subtle links as opposed to integrated essays, where in a sense its explicit. I've gotten top marks with block essays, but I'm very curious how you synthesis an integrated essay.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Can anybody provide examples or link me to like one example where an integrated essay has been done well. Mainly, I do block essays with subtle links as opposed to integrated essays, where in a sense its explicit. I've gotten top marks with block essays, but I'm very curious how you synthesis an integrated essay.
tbqh can't really find an example, but the paragraphs and sections in an integrated essay tend to be related to an overall concept rather than a specific text as in block essays.

acemusic415

HSC
tbqh can't really find an example, but the paragraphs and sections in an integrated essay tend to be related to an overall concept rather than a specific text as in block essays.
It's just because everybody in my school has discrepant viewpoints about this. In English, I rely on myself and learning by myself - and I just use the method of a new topic sentence for each text and thus, link it back to the question. By doing this, I link it all back to belonging and the similarities between all my texts. But others choose one core concept and use it for all their texts and if they have time for another, they repeat that step.

Since I'm accelerating, my teacher's style of marking is very tough, I appreciate that - but his main concern is that my point and style of writing is there, but an integrative essay will attract more marks etc will therefore allows more synthesis in my essay.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
From my experience with integrated essays, you use the same thesis, however, you attack the paragraphs with sub-ideas which are so closely related to the texts and concept too. Integrated essays take longer to perfect, but look and flow smoother.

acemusic415

HSC
From my experience with integrated essays, you use the same thesis, however, you attack the paragraphs with sub-ideas which are so closely related to the texts and concept too. Integrated essays take longer to perfect, but look and flow smoother.
Oh I see, because I let my teacher check my Frankenstein/Blade Runner essay, he gave that full marks because it was integrated. I approached it with one core thesis and divided into subtopics like you said. As opposed to my other essays for the remaining modules, he gave them 13/15 because he wanted my integration between ideas etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)