• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Intel Pentium 5 CPU Due in Jan 2004 (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by -X-
BTW: I always thought Longhorn will be a 3D desktop based OS.
Heres a site with some more Info about longhorn which looks like it will have 3D UI.
http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=41454,00.asp
Check those small videos at the end. Thats some pretty amazing shit i tells Ya!:eek:
LOL! that's not 3D though, that's just the power of Direct X 9, and that was an alpha build, those will be just effects and animations for the windows nothing special, don't be tricked by the tech sites, trust me there is NO 3D Desktop for the next Windows, even Paul Thurott got it wrong the dude whos suppsoedly connected to windows http://www.winsupersite.com

i gurantee you won't see one.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Then what exactly is a 3D desktop, im not sure if i understand? But 3D or not, those videos kick ass!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by -X-
Then what exactly is a 3D desktop, im not sure if i understand? But 3D or not, those videos kick ass!

those won't be on windows desktops, one of it will be i think where the windows were being dragged, i think the spinning windows is a screensaver, but these are all demos of how powerful direct x is

The plan MS made for the 3D desktop was like some art gallery like room where u see windows all on the walls, and if u minimise it the window goes to the wall, very confusing to explain but they researched it and made something before as a test, but i just dont think MS wants to implement it.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
Well this processor is big jump in the IT Industry

with a FSB of 4ghz, shit....

it's crazy...
That is not 'real' 4GHz though, it is 1GHz quad-pumped:).

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
That is not 'real' 4GHz though, it is 1GHz quad-pumped:).
Theoretically its the same so doesnt really matter.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by -X-
Theoretically its the same so doesnt really matter.
Well I am not that knowledgeable but that is not what I have read (don't ask me where I read it, I can't remember: it was like a month ago):).

-X-

HSC
N/A
Yeh thats why its "theoretically" the same, but there are some factors that affect it, which im not sure about.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by -X-
Yeh thats why its "theoretically" the same, but there are some factors that affect it, which im not sure about.
If it is " 'theoretically' the same, but there are some factors that affect it ", then it does matter:).

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
If it is " 'theoretically' the same, but there are some factors that affect it ", then it does matter:).
Not that you will notice the difference. The advantage is it will run allot cooler than having a FSB of 4ghz, which means higher speeds is easier to achieve = faster processor. :D

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by -X-
Not that you will notice the difference. The advantage is it will run allot cooler than having a FSB of 4ghz, which means higher speeds is easier to achieve = faster processor. :D
OK then, thank you for the information:).

-X-

HSC
N/A
Yeh read that before. I doubt microsoft will let Intel go through with it anyway. Intel is like microsofts dog.

Huy

HSC
N/A
I thought AMD were Microsoft's new lapdogs.

"AMD XP 3200+" and so on... (I don't care too much about AMD, as others have figured... hehe)

But Intel and MS have always had a good rapport

-X-

HSC
N/A
lol, what i meant was that microsoft controls intel, what microsoft says, intel does.

chris42

HSC
Yeah, well it was intel that made a specific chip for its x-box machines from memory.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by chris42
Yeah, well it was intel that made a specific chip for its x-box machines from memory.

No, there wasn't any specific chip made for X-Box, X-Box used a celeron chip, but they had a exclusive verison of the nVidia nforce motherboard which had supported intel chips.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
No, there wasn't any specific chip made for X-Box, X-Box used a celeron chip, but they had a exclusive verison of the nVidia nforce motherboard which had supported intel chips.
i thought it used p3 733Mhz....

the celeron 1.4Ghz Xbox was a modded one

-X-

HSC
N/A
No it was a celeron. Allot of people mistake it for a pentium p3.

Jeo

Originally posted by Huy
I thought AMD were Microsoft's new lapdogs.

"AMD XP 3200+" and so on... (I don't care too much about AMD, as others have figured... hehe)

But Intel and MS have always had a good rapport
I think it stands for Xtra performance. My 1.73Ghz (2100+) outperforms a 2.4Ghz-B, running at 100% processor using same hardware.

But what my friend said is, anything under 2.5Ghz-B range is much slower compared to AMD, he didn't give me a reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)