• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Intl.Relations/Law Double Degree Question (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi all,
Im a y12 student in Sydney currently eyeing a Intl relation/law degree. This would mean I would have to move to Canberra, (I WANT to do politics, therefore Canberra is the place to be) however, I am also a musician and would like to continue my instrumental studies with my Sydney teacher. Is intl rel./law demanding? Would it be impossible for me to nick down to sydney every fortnight? Furthermore, i intend to join many of the clubs that anu has to offer.

Please advise me. Unfortunately I am unable to attend the open day.
Thank you!

EDIT: EDIT: Ok, since no one seems to know intl relation/law so here is my refined question: Is any double with law demanding?

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
You didn't leave much time between the edit :p

A double degree is generally no more demanding then a single degree - because you are still only doing the same amount of subjects that a person doing a single degree would do.

As for doing a double degree with law, I find that it is less demanding in the early years when you only have one or two law subjects a semester (I think ANU might have two a semester). I found it to be much more demanding once i had finished my first degree and was just doing four subjects of straight law. However I don't think that happens at ANU until 5th year if I remember correctly.

I think its doable if you really want to, but it is about a 3 hour drive/bus ride. I used to know people who came up to sydney to work two days a week, then drove back down to canberra for uni for the rest of the week, but that would have to get tiring after a while. Personally I would think after a while it might get annoying always having to drive down to sydney for a particular day each fortnight, but that's just me (the effort to keep about a day free etc - which means you can't plan for uni or social occasions on that day). I think its going to be a very personal choice.

Depending on your instrument, you could always look for a music teacher down in canberra to continue your music studies.

HSC
Thanks for the advice! that sounds great! Anyway I'll see what happens with my ATAR then make the desicion lol :) Thanks again!

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
why do you want to do politics?

i wanted to become ae politician too long ago..
i've since discovered it's a disgusting place full of backstabbers.

think of that one girl/boy in your year that always seemed to backstabb people.
now imagine a whole building full of those sorts of people.

HSC
why do you want to do politics?

i wanted to become ae politician too long ago..
i've since discovered it's a disgusting place full of backstabbers.

think of that one girl/boy in your year that always seemed to backstabb people.
now imagine a whole building full of those sorts of people.
im more interested in the diplomacy part of politics lol. hence "international relations"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)