• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

introductions (1 Viewer)

darshil

Replicant
HSC
What a lovely day to be working on introductions ? (=

Discuss the policy options available to the federal government to deal with environmental issues affecting the Australian economy and explain the limitations to these policies.

Introduction: Environmental issues in Australia are worsening day by day and the Federal govt must use its policy options to deal with them. The govt can use command and control or incentive based market instruments to deal with enviro issues such as preservation of natural environment, pollution, externalities and the depletion of non renewable and renewable resources. All these methods have their advantages, disadvantages and limitations which will be discussed in this response.

How do you rate this introduction? I have always had trouble with them. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks !

HSC
I like it. I'm not really one for self-reflexive economics essays but sounds good.

I would deviate away from talking about the environmental issues and focus more on the different policy solutions. After all, you are discussing the policy options available and their limitations, not the issues themselves. What you have said in the introduction I think should be almost sufficient for the whole essay.

Btw... preservation of the environment is not really an environmental issue, unless you are of a certain political inclination. lol.

I recently had a major assessment task worth 30% school mark towards HSC calculation. It was an in-class essay [1 hour] and the question was; " Research a contemporary Australian environmental issue. Explain how market failure occurs in the issue you have researched and discuss alternate government policy responses to address this issue. "

I have attached what I wrote. I got 20/20 but should have referenced the CPRS a fair bit more. Have a read and let me know what you think.

Hope it helps.

P.s. 8/10...fairly decent

Last edited:

darshil

Replicant
HSC
Hey thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it. I will fix up what you said. By the way what do i need to do to make it into a 10/10 introduction? I know it depends on the whole essay but an introduction is pretty much a good indicator you know?

With that assesment task you attached, i think it is brilliant. I mean it. I am making this response my holy book for economics extended responses. I really liked it (especially the diagrams [and how you crossed out "licences" :)]). Actually we have a similiar assesment task in the first week of term 3. We have been given 3 questions and have to write a response to one the teacher chooses in class [40 minutes]. I am finding the question above very comfortable and i hope i do well in it. The others questions are very similair.

Nonetheless thanks for the reply, owe you one bigtime

munchiecrunchie

HSC
darshil i really think that it would be a big BIG mistake to leave out the nature of the environmental problems as blaze has suggested.

Part of assessing the implementation of policy is to look at the problems that you have and to see whether the solution properly addressed the source of concern. In order to do that, you would need to outline what the problems are and the extent of them.

What you essentially need to do is NOT cut out the environmental issue part of your response, but to SHRINK it. Spend around 25% of your essay on it to establish what the problem is and then go onto how the government has tackled the problem.

As for your introduction, its great, but in terms of the policies you mention, I think you would find it much neater if you refer to them as either being macroeconomic, or microeconomic, and expanding on the specific types under those headings.

hope that helps.

HSC
Discuss the policy options available to the federal government to deal with environmental issues affecting the Australian economy and explain the limitations to these policies.

Well I think that 25% may be about right, a paragraph at the start?, be concise. This is an economics essay, not geography. The policies should be discussed in relation to their effectiveness in combating with the environmental issues, however, the economic impact should take up as many words as the environmental implications [sad I know but this is the nature of economics, no?]. The only issue that I have with the intro is that it seems to set up a discussion on the issues and an explanation of the policies, where it probs should be the other way round, if not even more on the policies. you have two verbs that are both focused on the policies.

I strongly agree with munchiecrunchie about the macro/micro thing. Big points for structure and utilisation of economic knowledge and concepts.

By no means leave out the environmental issues but integrate the explanation of them into how policies can be used to combat them..

"The govt has...blah... to solve this problem...blah...which is a problem because.... blah(enviro problem)...The policy will...blah(economic impact)....and will combat the problem, causing... blah(environmental impact)"

lol. something like that...
For a research assignment, i would write a few para's on the enviro problems, however for an in class essay, make it concise.

However, the intro

for 10/10, I would write a sentence saying.. "I will discuss these macro policies... blah... and these micro policies" [maybe not those words but you get the idea]"

kudos to M.C. for the macro/micro thing

HSC

Well I think that 25% may be about right, a paragraph at the start?, be concise. This is an economics essay, not geography. The policies should be discussed in relation to their effectiveness in combating with the environmental issues, however, the economic impact should take up as many words as the environmental implications [sad I know but this is the nature of economics, no?]. The only issue that I have with the intro is that it seems to set up a discussion on the issues and an explanation of the policies, where it probs should be the other way round, if not even more on the policies. you have two verbs that are both focused on the policies.

I strongly agree with munchiecrunchie about the macro/micro thing. Big points for structure and utilisation of economic knowledge and concepts.

By no means leave out the environmental issues but integrate the explanation of them into how policies can be used to combat them..

"The govt has...blah... to solve this problem...blah...which is a problem because.... blah(enviro problem)...The policy will...blah(economic impact)....and will combat the problem, causing... blah(environmental impact)"

lol. something like that...
For a research assignment, i would write a few para's on the enviro problems, however for an in class essay, make it concise.

However, the intro

for 10/10, I would write a sentence saying.. "I will discuss these macro policies... blah... and these micro policies" [maybe not those words but you get the idea]"

kudos to M.C. for the macro/micro thing

darshil

Replicant
HSC
Thank you both for the replies, I really really appreciate it!
Thanks M.C for the advice, I have left the explanation of the issues in there. As for macroeconomic/microeconomic the best word here is really, kudos.
Blaze I thank you again for the help, i'm going to be fixing it all up and owe you the sky. i wish to say all the best with the studies i know you'll do great

Thank you everyone!

PS: What about command and control + incentive based market instruments insteat of micro/macroeconomic?

munchiecrunchie

HSC
glad that you guys have found the macro micro classifications useful =)

for command/control + incentive based - still use those terms in your essay, but under the broad macro/micro classification.

i still very much think you should be spending some substansive time on the environmental issue itself. whilst its not a geography essay, you need to keep in mind that environmental management is an economic issue too, and the way you can keep your essay sticking with an economic theme is by using your jargon (eg externalities, tragedy of the commons, intergenational equity, free riders, public goods)

the high A range essays will set up a criteria for evaluating the effectiveness/limitations of policy. the way they do this is to examine the problem and then see whether the policy was effective in addressing this. Here is a possible way of doing this:
"in examing the limitations of the environmental policy options, it is essential to also examine the nature of the issue itself, in order to assess if the policy has addressed the source of the problem."

i'm stressing this because i've seen people lose marks over it. of course it is entirely up to you if you want to include it or not.

darshil

Replicant
HSC
m.c. I really thank you for the replies. I Do not know what I would do without them
I have taken everythng in and when I get the A i will be owing it to you guys (=.

Oh and thanks for clearing up the macro/micro stuff, should have seen that.

seriously thanks, have a good Sunday

(=

darshil

Replicant
HSC
m.c. I really thank you for the replies. I Do not know what I would do without them
I have taken everythng in and when I get the A i will be owing it to you guys (=.

Oh and thanks for clearing up the macro/micro stuff, should have seen that.

seriously thanks, have a good Sunday

(=

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)