• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Introductions (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
In tutorials for all of my 4 subjects we have gone around the room and said our names, what course we are doing and depending on the subject some other random stuff.

And so far I have remembered 1 persons name. As soon as people finish saying their name, I am forgetting it.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has done this round the room thing, and if you have how many peoples names do you remember?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
You'll do it at the beginning of nearly every subject you ever do in your degree at UOW. And you'll tend to only remember one or 2 names, and they're usually people who end up being friends or people you immediately acknowledge as being attractive.

HSC
I mostly don't really absorb the names unless they're people who I can envision myself talking to. That said, this causes problems when they have different ideas and remember my name, and make me feel like a dick for not bothering to remember theirs.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Raiks said:
You'll do it at the beginning of nearly every subject you ever do in your degree at UOW. And you'll tend to only remember one or 2 names, and they're usually people who end up being friends or people you immediately acknowledge as being attractive.
Yeah thats why I remembered that 1 persons name cause she was attractive.

santaslayer

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Yeah thats why I remembered that 1 persons name cause she was attractive.
Hell yeah!

You only tend to remember the hawwwt ones. :p

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
santaslayer said:
Hell yeah!

You only tend to remember the hawwwt ones. :p
Especially Chrissy and Lana from my tutorial on Thursdays :D

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
That being said, if the one class continues on and on, and there's not much people in it, you will remember everyones name by a time.

I agree with ogmzergrush though. You do feel like a dick when you don't remember someone's name, and they remember your name. Also, yeah, you do tend to remember the hot ones more. Or in Computer Science, you'll remember the girls' names always, since they're so few.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
poloktim said:
That being said, if the one class continues on and on, and there's not much people in it, you will remember everyones name by a time.

I agree with ogmzergrush though. You do feel like a dick when you don't remember someone's name, and they remember your name. Also, yeah, you do tend to remember the hot ones more. Or in Computer Science, you'll remember the girls' names always, since they're so few.
Well I don't think anyone will remember my name so it shouldn't be a problem.

Scanorama

HSC
We did the similar thing in our PASS class, where everyone had to tell the class the name, degrees, favourite holiday destinations, and suburbs they live in of the person we sat next to,

malkin86

HSC
I haven't had to do any of that... Odd. Maybe science lecturers see it as unneccesary?

santaslayer

HSC
malkin86 said:
I haven't had to do any of that... Odd. Maybe science lecturers see it as unneccesary?
Tutors, not lecturers.

Science does'nt have tutors right? Only pracs?

Ninga

HSC
Usually both tutorials and pracs in my experience with science classes. Along with lectures. Theres not like any group work in sciences, so i dont think they really have any need to learn other peoples names. Thats how it was in first year physics and chemistry anyways. And maths.

santaslayer

HSC
Ninga said:
Usually both tutorials and pracs in my experience with science classes. Along with lectures. Theres not like any group work in sciences, so i dont think they really have any need to learn other peoples names. Thats how it was in first year physics and chemistry anyways. And maths.
I guess so. But at least people should know a few names. Forming study groups would be benefical. :)

Ninga

HSC
Study groups are a waste of time, unless its with your lecturer who is giving you the questions that theyre going to ask in their exam.

santaslayer

HSC
You really think so?
OK then.
I aint about to argue with an honour student. :p

so...u dunno what ur gonna write about in ur thesis?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Ninga said:
Study groups are a waste of time, unless its with your lecturer who is giving you the questions that theyre going to ask in their exam.
yes, the more people the more off track you get

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
It's just a case that if someone is different to the others, you'll tend to remember their name. Such as if you are attractive, outspoken, a complete fuckwit or have blue hair, people will tend to standout for various reasons.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Raiks said:
It's just a case that if someone is different to the others, you'll tend to remember their name. Such as if you are attractive, outspoken, a complete fuckwit or have blue hair, people will tend to standout for various reasons.
I want blue hair. I've wanted it for ages. I don't think I'd look good with it, and now if I got it, I'd be copying. :(

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
It's alright Tim, I'll eventually change to different colours when I get to the stage blue doesn't do it for me, and then you can become blue :D

pogiangel

HSC
I wish we got to do some of these sorts of things, it helps to break the ice.

I hate awkward silences and classes where people dont talk, makes the whole experience so much more worse.

Ive found that most 1st years have been reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy shy in the first weeks, but starting to open up a little bit.

Cheers, Jerome

PS: Creative arts really sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)