• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

iPod Alternatives (iPod Lovers Not Allowed To Post Their Love For the iPod) (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
I'll put my hand up for the iRiver too. I have a few IT-crazy friends who refused to touch anything Apple and settled with an iRiver, and I must say, they're brilliant machines. I prefer the sound quality over the iPod, but the sexiness of my iPod gets me every time I use it.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I agree, iRivers are good machines, but the iPods sure have style and looks going for them.

P

pLuvia

Iriver's battery life is pretty long, I currently have the iriver T20, not the most advanced but it's good enough

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Legham said:
I also have an iRiver H340, and it is reliable as anything. I've had it for a year, dropped it numerous times, and the only problem today is the battery is starting to lose capacity. And i'm not the kind of person who takes good care of their stuff. If you're looking for reliability, the iRiver H300 series mp3 players are for you. Although, i think you'll have to get it off ebay nowadays because they were discontinued a while back (bad move by iRiver).

Also, the H300's are SUPER customizeable. Not only are there hundreds and hundreds of themes available off the internet, but if you don't mind voiding your warranty (which probably wont exist if you buy it off ebay) you can undo the screws and stick a bit of paper or something behind the clear casing. The possibilities are endless!
pics of some of my previous skins:
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8745/12oz.jpg
http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=936jj.jpg
http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1005at.jpg
kewl, are u a misticriver, member btw?..irivers pwn, i have a h320 with an open source firmware called RockBox, check the link it has way more features than the stock fw, and still going. Only downside to the H3xx irivers is the size compared to the ipods, but the features and options outweight that, imo.

edit: btw, this is why it pwns all other players(the open source firmware, not the stock iriver):

Key Features of Rockbox

* Support for MP3, Ogg Vorbis, AC3, AAC, Musepack, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, Shorten, WAV, and Wavpack Sound Codecs
* Gapless Playback
* 5 Band Parametric Equalizer
* High Resolution Volume Control, 82 levels
* Abilty to create your own theme or use one of these.
* Crossfade, Crossfeed, and Replay Gain
* Picture and text viewing
* Calendar
* Doom
* Real Time Clock on the player's that have the necessary hardware
* Tag Database
* Unicode Support
* On The Fly Playlists
* Voice Interface, and Multilingual Interface
* Many Plugins and Games to enhance Rockbox even further.
* Open Source, so Rockbox is constantly improved.
* Album Art (for H3xx series)

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I would suggest one of the iRiver HDD players if you don't mind the chunkyness.
http://www.iriver.com.au/iriver/index.cfm?pageID=2&sID=2&prodID=9&
(It really is quite chunky in terms of thickness)

Ohterwise, get a sony one. However, you will have to deal with the bad software.
like http://www.sony.com.au/walkman/walkman/catalog/product.jsp?id=NWHD5S&section=arch&term=MP3

I wouldn't recomend the m:robes since they have fiddly interface.

The creative players are ok, but I keep hearing about reliability problems.

I reckon you will look at all the alternatives and end up getting an iPod again :p
There isn't really much choice if you are looking for a player with lots of space ie. 20GB+.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Besides the iRiver, which I've heard is good but have no personal experience with, the Sony Walkmen are awesome brutes. I've got a 20gig one and it hasn't failed me yet.

The Sony software is fine. It's not worse than any other software for players I've seen - including iPods.

I'd say stay clear of the m:robes. Mine died. And besides dying, it had an easily scratchable screen and an easily breakable but not easily replacable power cord.

Some_Guy

HSC
alas i recently got an ipod (mostly cos everyone else in my family has one and we can share all the extra crap for it). i will time how long it takes to die.

Some_Guy

HSC
ok i have just been listening to my iPod and i have come across a MAJOR problem. If the songs on an album run together there is an annoying pause between each track. i mean i know the average ipod user with their britney spears cds wont notice this but for me this is very irritating. do all mp3 players do this?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Some_Guy said:
ok i have just been listening to my iPod and i have come across a MAJOR problem. If the songs on an album run together there is an annoying pause between each track. i mean i know the average ipod user with their britney spears cds wont notice this but for me this is very irritating. do all mp3 players do this?
most mp3 players have a pause.
iPods are supposed to cache the next song so there isn't a pause. I've tested this on an iPod.

Some_Guy

HSC
nope no good. joining the tracks makes the whole album 1 track which i dont want. crossfade makes the tracks fade into each other which i also dont want. i just want the tracks to flow together like they would normally do on a discman, no other mp3 players can do this?

Some_Guy

HSC
politik said:
Can you specify the crossfade time? If so, make it 0.3ms. I do that on winamp, and it works well.
really? anyone know how to do this on itunes?

Some_Guy

HSC
so turn it on and put the slide right all the way to the left? or would that be the same as leaving it off?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)