• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is first person a diary entry? (1 Viewer)

Abbeygale

HSC
A diary entry is a text type.

The persons on the other hand-
Personal pronouns can also be divided into three groups called persons.
1. First person is the person speaking:
I, we
me, us
my, mine, our, ours

2. Second person is the person spoken to:
you, your, yours

3. Third person is the person or thing spoken about:
he, she, it
his, her, hers, its
him, her, it
they, them, their, theirs

( from http://www.einfoweb.com/grammar/pros/person.html)

In short, a diary entry is almost always in first person, but first person is not always a diary entry.

No offense, but that is fairly basic stuff.

bright_angell

yeah well sorry - i didnt know i was being judged...just making sure- its better to be safe than sorry- and i know what first person is- perhaps i should have elaborated...

Can someone fall into the trap of sounding like a diary entry rather than telling a story from the sole/protagonists perspective? particularly when my story is phsycholigically based...

iamsickofyear12

HSC
bright_angell said:
yeah well sorry - i didnt know i was being judged...just making sure- its better to be safe than sorry- and i know what first person is- perhaps i should have elaborated...

Can someone fall into the trap of sounding like a diary entry rather than telling a story from the sole/protagonists perspective? particularly when my story is phsycholigically based...
I don't think so. Diary entries are more informal, and a whole bunch of other really obvious things.

bright_angell

such as............seriously , these threads are here to help people...not judge them with a bitchy attitude to satisfy ur patheticly hsc-ridden mind.

WOW- that felt good

Abbeygale

HSC
bright_angell said:
Sorry to poke you when you're already on the defensive, but don't you think you would have received more helpful responses earlier if you'd simply posted that ^^ in the OP? It would take a lot of lateral thinking to address that concern based on your original question.

I don't think you'll have a problem with falling into a trap. Just don't start the story with 'Dear Diary' and you should be fine.

bright_angell

Haha- sure thing- and I'm not defensive or anything of the like...and if i am, its coz i didnt expect that asking a question would have me being questioned for doing so! Buy yeah-no thanx anyhoo...its all good now- i realise i assumed too much when i asked the question in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)