• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it possible to achieve 99+ ATAR from taking both histories? (1 Viewer)

wendybird

HSC
I dunno about me being smarter than Wendy. She obviously has a better work ethic than i do and seeing as intelligence = natural ability + hard work she kicks my arse :)

And you still haven't replied to my post yet.
See I'm not even going to deign to give a reply to that particular post. (Schoey93)

ILU Anna! :kiss:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Whatevs.

Reply to Anna's post:

Well. Quite misleading. It's misleading to give so much accurate information purely cuz it it a confusing process. So I aim to simplify scaling and put it into 'real terms' but you know what I mean, you practically majored in maths! :p

And all of what u said was valid, but it was stuff I sort of half-knew already by couldn'tbefucked to acknowledge as I'm not into essays like you:karate:

:jump:
Schoey93: plz note ur rep is now red box kthx

CecilyMare

HSC
Whatevs.

Reply to Anna's post:

Well. Quite misleading. It's misleading to give so much accurate information purely cuz it it a confusing process. So I aim to simplify scaling and put it into 'real terms' but you know what I mean, you practically majored in maths! :p

And all of what u said was valid, but it was stuff I sort of half-knew already by couldn'tbefucked to acknowledge as I'm not into essays like you:karate:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Whatevs.

Reply to Anna's post:

That's the 1st time i've heard something so ridiculous. If you want to simplify it into "real terms" that's fine. But keep it to yourself as you're wrong and are "correcting" people even though you're wrong.

And I didn't say anything that needed much maths knowdledge at all - any sane person with a bit of a brain would be able to understand what i said.

See I'm not even going to deign to give a reply to that particular post. (Schoey93)

ILU Anna! :kiss:
:eek:

Schoey93: plz note ur rep is now red box kthx
LOL. I <3 you wixxy :eek:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Many people from my school are taking chemistry 'because they want to do med'.

What do the others think? Guys?
Take chem as there's more HSC chem knowkedge in the mod course. You'll learn the anatomy of the human body again in med anyway :)

Schoey93

HSC
Take chem as there's more HSC chem knowkedge in the mod course. You'll learn the anatomy of the human body again in med anyway :)
Not true. My GP, Dr Peter Roach, from KFMP said that Biology is fine yet "don't worry about your subjects as I don't think there are really any subjects you should or have to do for medicine". A

I listened to him because he has a dual qualification, B Sci (Med), MB, BS.
And he also recently received his vocational 4-year qualification of FRACGP (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of General Practitioners). Anna doesn't have such qualifications and cares too much about Chemistry being her fav subject + obsessed with good scalars

NB Biology scales just fine. It isn't even capped. And it's easier than Chem. And much more interesting. For example, I do Bio, would you rather cut open a rat with sweeping, longitudinal cuts and peak at its insides, or would you rather play with HCl and Mg?
(If you don't know what those mean, please don't do Chem)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Not true. My GP, Dr Peter Roach, from KFMP said that Biology is fine yet "don't worry about your subjects as I don't think there are really any subjects you should or have to do for medicine". A

I listened to him because he has a dual qualification, B Sci (Med), MB, BS.
And he also recently received his vocational 4-year qualification of FRACGP (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of General Practitioners). Anna doesn't have such qualifications and cares too much about Chemistry being her fav subject + obsessed with good scalars

NB Biology scales just fine. It isn't even capped. And it's easier than Chem. And much more interesting. For example, I do Bio, would you rather cut open a rat with sweeping, longitudinal cuts and peak at its insides, or would you rather play with HCl and Mg?
(If you don't know what those mean, please don't do Chem)
Chem is assumed knowledge for Med. If the Unis make Chem assumed knowledge and not Biology it means that Chem is more important for Med. This is what the Universities say.

Schoey93

HSC
Chem is assumed knowledge for Med. If the Unis make Chem assumed knowledge and not Biology it means that Chem is more important for Med. This is what the Universities say.
Wrong. It is "recommended" which is distinct from assumed knowledge Only assumed knowledge UNSW MB,BS has is "English (Standard) as ESL is not considered sufficient preparation for our courses although it will not block you from entry into the course"

Schoey93

HSC
And besides Biology is Chemistry; it's "APPLIED CHEM". Which actually makes it more interesting coz you look at life and life processes, ageing death and disease plus genetics (which is an awesome science) instead of "here is an atom. It is made up of p+, e- and neutrons" "Milk is a homgenous substance" Louis Pasteur created the process of pasteurisation and yada yada BORING

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Wrong. It is "recommended" which is distinct from assumed knowledge Only assumed knowledge UNSW MB,BS has is "English (Standard) as ESL is not considered sufficient preparation for our courses although it will not block you from entry into the course"
Same shit, it still means the Unis would rather med students do Chem rather than Bio.

Schoey93

HSC
Yeah, but they don't fuck if you did science or not is the long&short of it. My doctor even said so. I don't believe he took high school science and he did just fine and got his GP vocational qualification FRACGP, M.B.B.S., B Sci (Med) in 11 years (the normal time when u don't accelerate or take a 5 year long MBBS - that would shorten it to 10 years) :)

So calm down people.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah, but they don't fuck if you did science or not is the long&short of it. My doctor even said so. I don't believe he took high school science and he did just fine and got his GP vocational qualification FRACGP, M.B.B.S., B Sci (Med) in 11 years (the normal time when u don't accelerate or take a 5 year long MBBS - that would shorten it to 10 years) :)

So calm down people.
The point is, if you do what to do a science for med you'd pick chem over bio. Of course it isn't required; it's only recommended.

wendybird

HSC
The point is, if you do what to do a science for med you'd pick chem over bio. Of course it isn't required; it's only recommended.
Precisely.

And people going into Med with NO chemistry background will struggle. Fact. ETA: Or not. Listen to Zephyrio - he knows better than I.

Originally Posted by Schoey93
Not true. My GP, Dr Peter Roach, from KFMP said ...

I listened to him because he has a dual qualification, ...

You've made two of what we who study logic and rhetoric term "logical fallacies".

1. Argumentum ad verecundiam - appeal to authority.

2. Non sequitur - your conclusion does not follow from the premises (the evidence you base it on).

Just sayin' ;)

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
Actually, people with no chemistry background won't struggle in med if they do sufficient study. We've come across very few really "omg, I totally learnt this in HSC Chemistry!" moments. To put this into perspective, Le Chatelier's principle was given approximately 5 minutes in a lecture. To me, my prior chemistry knowledge only came in handy when we were studying biochemistry. I suppose this is why chemistry is recommended... but really, if you got into med then the basic chemistry behind a lot of concepts can be taught to you quite quickly anyway. :)

Most of the things we learn are completely new, and I can say with complete confidence that biology has more relevance to what is learnt. A lot of the basics are touched on in the HSC syllabus.

Zephyrio

HSC
I suppose I should further add that physics has little to do with what is actually studied in med. I remember my science teachers distinctly telling me to do physics over biology, and I'm glad I didn't take heed of their advice. I reckon bio's a good course if you're motivated enough.

BTW: It is possible to achieve a 99+ ATAR doing both histories. Some of my friends have done amazingly well without the traditionally big scalers. I remember someone asking a bunch of us what the hell we were doing in med, and to "get out of the room" because we hadn't done 4U maths LOL.

Also, just took a look at Wendy's amazing marks and they further justify the fact that one does not need 4U maths/chem/phys to get a great score in the end. So what if business studies is a crap scaler? If you do well you'll be rewarded handsomely.

wendybird

HSC
Actually, people with no chemistry background won't struggle in med if they do sufficient study. We've come across very few really "omg, I totally learnt this in HSC Chemistry!" moments. To put this into perspective, Le Chatelier's principle was given approximately 5 minutes in a lecture. To me, my prior chemistry knowledge only came in handy when we were studying biochemistry. I suppose this is why chemistry is recommended... but really, if you got into med then the basic chemistry behind a lot of concepts can be taught to you quite quickly anyway. :)

Most of the things we learn are completely new, and I can say with complete confidence that biology has more relevance to what is learnt. A lot of the basics are touched on in the HSC syllabus.
Great to hear your perspective! You've sold me - I can definitely see where bio would be more relevant, and its great to get it from the source :)

PS. Your subjects were practically identical to mine. I actually did 3U Maths and Chemistry until the middle of term 2 in Year 12. I ended up doing 4U English, Modern and Hist X, Philosophy Distinction Course (thanks to Business) and 2U Maths.

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
wendybird demonstrates that zero maths and zero science can rule!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)