• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is it possible to integrate e^(x^2)? (1 Viewer)

vds700

HSC
i tried using integration by parts, substitution etc and got nmowhere. I put it into mathematica and it comes up with imaginary error function or something and i dont know what it means.

By the way, this is not a question from a textbook or anything, its just a random function.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It is impossible to get and explicit primitive function when you integrate an exponential to an even power of x. You can only obtain an explicit primitive function when you integrate exponentials to odd powers of x.

Last edited:

sicmacao

HSC
You need "complex analysis" which is taught at university level to find the definite integral of e^(x^2)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
3unitz said:
¥
S x^(2n + 1) / [n! (2n + 1)]
n=0
a) what does that mean?
b) the font is screwed up on my browser. I'm guessing you're giving a series to infinity for a function, but the limits and series sign show as an S and a yen sign for me.

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

sicmacao said:
You need "complex analysis" which is taught at university level to find the definite integral of e^(x^2)
Really? A guy in my class brought this question up and he said he found it in a trial and he solved it but forgot how.. could this be possible?

sicmacao

HSC
Pimpcess.Snaz said:
Really? A guy in my class brought this question up and he said he found it in a trial and he solved it but forgot how.. could this be possible?
The above quote really reminded me of the quote by the greatest amateur mathematician in history Pierre de Fermat:

"I have discovered a truly remarkable proof which this margin is too small to contain"

This Theorem is Fermat's last theorm x^n + y^n = z^n has no integer solution for n>2.

P

Pimpcess.Snaz

sicmacao said:
The above quote really reminded me of the quote by the greatest amateur mathematician in history Pierre de Fermat:

"I have discovered a truly remarkable proof which this margin is too small to contain"

This Theorem is Fermat's last theorm x^n + y^n = z^n has no integer solution for n>2.
Yeah.. I told him it was impossible since I was reading this thread a while ago. However when he brought it up in class, I thought i'd consult the thread once more..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)