• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it right for teachers to change ranks around? (1 Viewer)

StillAlive

HSC
Giving first to who they think will get the highest HSC mark instead of the person who actually came first?

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Giving first to who they think will get the highest HSC mark instead of the person who actually came first?
This is NOT suppose to happen. It's unfair for the teacher to allocate marks based on favouritism instead of actual ability. Your marks in assessment tasks are recorded and added up accordingly, and who has the highest marks will come first.

If it does happen, you have the right to report to the board of studies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D94

HSC
N/A
Ranks are not given to students. Ranks are based off assessment marks. Most students know how other students perform, and can easily determine who is ranked first without the need of a final report. It would be hard for a teacher to get away with it.

braintic

HSC
N/A
That was indeed the system back in the 80s. The HSC mark was based on 50% HSC exam mark and 50% Estimate.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It is not morally right, and I have no idea whether it is right under the relevant laws governing teacher's conduct..if this really happened, one should go to the relevant authority-i.e. a head teacher or principal and ask them to investigate into the matter further-since internal ranks can influence ATAR

braintic

HSC
N/A
It is not morally right, and I have no idea whether it is right under the relevant laws governing teacher's conduct..if this really happened, one should go to the relevant authority-i.e. a head teacher or principal and ask them to investigate into the matter further-since internal ranks can influence ATAR
I don't see how his question could pertain to reality, considering the assessment process is nowhere near finished.

enoilgam

HSC
The ranks are supposed to be based on assessment marks, so a teacher cannot decide who comes first based on their personal preference. However, given the underhanded tactics I've seen some teachers use in the past, it wouldnt surprise me if this did happen at some schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)