• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it worth doing? (1 Viewer)

Will Hunting

HSC
Fruitcake05 said:
Is it worth doing?
Really comes down to personal tastes and preferences, man. The course is a huge asset if you love Maths, and is especially handy if you want to take Maths to the tertiary level. From a practical point of view, 4U Maths scales the best out of the core HSC courses, making it great for your UAI if you can score well in it. You really have to ask yourself whether you a) see it as something you're capable of, and b) see it as something you'll enjoy.

Fruitcake05 said:
Is it really as hard as they say?
Again, it depends on the person. One person's conception of difficulty's going to differ from another's. My advice to you would be to shut out what everybody else is saying (to an extent), and make an honest assessment of whether or not it is something you're good enough to do. If you're good at Maths, but afraid of going the extra mile with 4U, give some thought to how badly you'd like to do it, because if you want to do 4U badly enough, you'll make it work.

My personal opinion - the subject's breathtaking. The scope for independent, explorative thought is so much greater, and the content's simply awe-inspiring, although I feel the course could, with impunity, embrace still more (eg. Euler's thm). It's not so much hard as it is demanding of time and effort. Much of the course builds on the foundations laid in 2 and 3U Maths. It's up to you, man, but I'd say, yeah, go for it.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Fruitcake05 said:
Is it worth doing?
Yes. It's worth it to have a challenge in the HSC course. If you're relatively good at maths, you enjoy it and you like problem solving then I'd say go for it.

Fruitcake05 said:
Is it really hard as they say?
The initial jump in the level of thinking required for the course can be a bit of a shock but you'll get ontop of it. I was the revising for my half yearlies just last night and I was amazed to see that I was doing questions, which would have previously taken me a fair bit of thinking and time to do, in a short amount of time and with relative ease. If you put in the work and pull yourself up to that next level then you'll see that the subject aint that bad... Except perhaps for question 7 & question 8 which have some stuff which I am still aprehensive about and yet to conquer but you needn't really worry about that just now :p.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
im doing 4u maths and i dont even need it for uni. any of you guys feel better after getting a really tough question right? i do, and thats why i do it.

lozz2787

HSC
Yeah it is wonderful when after spending a good half hour figuring out a question finally to get an answer equalling something like 2a. It may seem to the average onlooker that it seems stupid but really it you feel you have accomplished something.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
nick1048 said:
if ur as smart as slide rule this little logic applies... if you dont have time for a minimum of 8 extra hours of study a week to pass the course... dont do it. and no getting 50% is not worth it.
You're such a cynic.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you don't have time to do the course, ignore your other subjects, they're all crammable.

DistantCube

HSC
withoutaface said:
If you don't have time to do the course, ignore your other subjects, they're all crammable.
:p love it!

anyway on topic; just spend some time thinking about it, I mean some good time, a couple of days, a couple of weeks, weigh your options up, make a decision then stick to it.

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
nick1048 said:
if ur as smart as slide rule this little logic applies... if you dont have time for a minimum of 8 extra hours of study a week to pass the course... dont do it. and no getting 50% is not worth it.
You don't actually need 8 extra hours of study per week to pass...
A lot of people do way less than that (i.e. less than 2 hours per week) and still manage to get >90%

Fruitcake05, I'd say if you're pretty good at maths, it's worth doing because at least it'll make your 3u count as two units. It's not as hard as they say if you're someone who learns maths by understanding, and not just drilling on exercises...

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
its BLOODY hard!

i wish i was smart...thinking about my workload rather that my image

i just wish i did 2u that was so damn easy!

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
put it this way, this year the exam will be near impossible (oh k jus very hard), now a hard exam is ur best friend. if u are capable do it, realisticly 80% of the state get 80+ as a mark. now if u get 85 (which would be at the bottom of the state somwhere) it still helps u cos its like getting a 94/95 in 2u... and then ur 3u mark counts for 2u not jus 1
i say give it a go, unless ur fukn doin real shit... ie 40% or less, i would drop it

Hobbsee

HSC
I've asked that question many times myself - is it worth doing (while i was in year 11)...I'm in year 12 now, and doing 4 unit maths (and 2 sciences and english)

If you can, do it....if you doubt that you can do it, or are not sure, take it up, then drop it later if you need to.

Is it hard? Yes, in some ways...some things are hard...i'm sure that some things arent written in english! (and yes, english is my first language)...and yet, earlier this evening i was looking at the '02 trial...and looking at the topics we've done, and going "yep, i can do that, and that, and that, and when i do that bit of homework i can do that question as well"...

And i'm so glad my 2 unit marks dont count...i'm sure i dont remember large amounts of that stuff...sure i did the homework for it, along with my 3 and 4 unit stuff, so i could do it if it came up, but i'm so glad i dont need to do horrible, long things such as loan repayments and superannuation in a test at all!

ishq

brown?
HSC
Look at the positive side, if you do it, you'll never have to do Time Payments ever again.
That was the deciding factor for me.
:D

Hobbsee

HSC
ishq said:
Look at the positive side, if you do it, you'll never have to do Time Payments ever again.
That was the deciding factor for me.
:D
ROFL!

So true! It's great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)