• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it worth the drop from 2u to General? [PRELIM] (1 Viewer)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
OK i don't want to judge but it would be safe to say that the reasons for your poor results in Math exams are at a due cause of this textbook. It may be a good book for schools to use but only because it explains the very basics of the topics and doesn't even go close to providing exam style questions that are going to be in your trials and HSC. The book is hated amongst students on this forum and we would recommend you start using another textbook immediately or consolidate your practice to past papers if you can't get another book. The book is too simple and you won't expose yourself to difficult questions which exam writers will throw into papers. Yes you might get homework from this book but just complete it and do proper study from another source since this textbook is basically a waste of time for proper study. If you want to get the foundations set then fine, by all means use it as much as you want but once your clear with ideas get rid of the book and do past papers. The book is loaded with repetitive styled questions unlike other books like cambridge or New Senior Maths which use a variety of styled questions especially similar to HSC to give you a better idea of how questions are like and what markers will expect of you to know how to do from studying a particular topic. Sorry for ranting about the shitness of the book but frankly its the truth, i fell into this trap personally and suffered at a cause of it. I now consolidate it only for the compulsory use of it for school homework and do the proper study from past papers and questions from other textbooks. I hope this helps.

tl;dr
Don't use Maths in Focus, it is shit.
Ah yeah I understand what you mean. I'll see how I feel when I change books and see If I can cope/do well in the course and re think my options!

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah use Cambridge. If your school requires you to use MIF, then don't argue or protest, just make sure you don't use it as a indicator of the difficulty of the course, or rely upon it.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
yeah use Cambridge. If your school requires you to use MIF, then don't argue or protest, just make sure you don't use it as a indicator of the difficulty of the course, or rely upon it.
This.

leehuan

HSC
I'll admit if I had better acceleration and actually used Cambridge I probably would've gotten a 97 instead of a 94 for MX1, but hey I used MIF and still got the 94 anyway.
Whoever denied me access to past papers?

But, I cannot deny the fact that the questions in Cambridge completely overpower those of MIF.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I'll admit if I had better acceleration and actually used Cambridge I probably would've gotten a 97 instead of a 94 for MX1, but hey I used MIF and still got the 94 anyway.
Whoever denied me access to past papers?

But, I cannot deny the fact that the questions in Cambridge completely overpower those of MIF.
Oath.

Feynman

HSC
MIF has questions that are easier than year 10 textbooks. Sadly a lot of schools use it because the students 'aren't good enough' to use harder textbooks and as a result, students get bad exam results. This continues pretty much until the student gives up and drops to general, or starts using a more challenging textbook.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
MIF has questions that are easier than year 10 textbooks. Sadly a lot of schools use it because the students 'aren't good enough' to use harder textbooks and as a result, students get bad exam results. This continues pretty much until the student gives up and drops to general, or starts using a more challenging textbook.
Yeah exactly

Think about it, if people aren't challenged, will the world even progress?

braintic

HSC
N/A
When schools assess that students aren't good enough to use Cambridge, they are usually correct for the majority of students.
The fact is that large numbers of 2U students don't have the ability to understand this maths beyond the most basic level, and MIF is all they are capable of handling.
Those students would get even worse exam results using Cambridge alone, because they will never cope with the harder questions, and don't get enough practice at the basics.
Of course this creates issues for the handful of stronger students in the class, so the teacher should be supplementing the homework with questions from those books.

Yeah exactly

Think about it, if people aren't challenged, will the world even progress?
More often than not, people (and the world) progress when they challenge THEMSELVES.
The problem with that 'handful of stronger students' ... the majority haven't worked that out yet. They are prepared to go along with whatever is presented to them.
(Yes, I know I'm generalising .... there is no need for anyone to say "but I am not like that")

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)