• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is STAT is similar to UMAT , ??? (1 Viewer)

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
a friend of mine is doing STAT in september and she asked me if she can use my UMAT
practice test paper and some material which i have used to prepare myself for UMAT.
So wondering , is there a huge difference in them or both r similar ?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
very different..

STAT is more like an IQ test..

the UMAT tests 'communication skills'..

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
trustmenever said:
a friend of mine is doing STAT in september and she asked me if she can use my UMAT
practice test paper and some material which i have used to prepare myself for UMAT.
So wondering , is there a huge difference in them or both r similar ?
The STAT test is in two parts - the first is a multiple choice exam testing basic problem solving and comprehension skills, the second part is where you write two short essays.

You can't really prepare for the kind of things the STAT asks of you either, you either have it or you don't. If however your friend really wants something to practice with then they automatically get sent it in the mail when they apply for the STAT. The best thing anyone can do to prepare for the STAT is to relax though as it is really easy to do well - I got among the very top marks and I'm nothing special - so just tell your friend not to stress too much and it'll be fine. :)

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
LottoX said:
Well, the UMAT also tests promblem solving skills and stuff...

yes , i have done UMAT and got a good score last year , but i m very worried about her coz she has recently come from oversease , i m not sure about her communication skills and literature, coz in umat every thing was based on logic,
i m just not sure abt STAT ,
by the way , i m making her read tons and tons of english novels :D
she gets soooo frustrated but i think it's a great way to develop vocabulary and also making her do lots of maths QAs lol (very basics stuff)
, wondering , do they also ask questions on general knowledge coz i didn't do any general knowledge QA in UMAT but since u have mentioned it's similar to IQ, i m just curious ,
By the way, do the essays have to be profound and simialr to an advanced english level in HSC. coz it will kill her :bomb: when i tell her to start practicing writing essays , lol it reminds me of my english advance class last year lol, ,sooooo boring ,:sleep: ,
thanks for the info guys ,:)

Roboooo

HSC
i did stat got 77. my uai was 92.

stat sucks

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
LottoX said:
What's a par score in STAT?

not sure, never done STAT , but UMAT is completely based of logic and u have to have the "it" factor and after the UMAT , the interview shit comes along , which is another pain in the ass if u r applying all around Australia apart from tasmania ,
air fares + accommodations = $$$$$$$$

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
LottoX said:
Haha, I only applied to one uni. It's a real wonder how I got in...

Anyway, at least it's an experience; the travelling, that is.

lol,lucky u , yes the travelling bit was nice but it wud have been more nicer if parents paid for it all, unlike my parents ,they paid for it fair amount but i also contributed some,
it was fun, me and me , travelling like the people in" Lonely planet" in discovery .

Raginsheep

HSC
STAT is bloody easy. I haven't done UMAT but I'm certain that STAT is much easier (at least for the multiple choice sections).

What STAT essentially does is test basic arithmetic and numeracy skills and also basic english comprehension skills. Just do the practice questions they send you. More than enough.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^What Raginsheep said. You only need to do the practice questions and you're fine. I did the STAT workshop in WEA which was helpful but not necessary (it did help my frame of mind though) because it catered to people who had not been studying for some time and so might need a bit of guidance regarding an academic situation like this, but honestly, if you're smart enough to get the UAI required for pharmacy (which I'm assuming it is, unless it's RET in which case it's RET and not "STAT" as such), you won't need to do anything other than practise the practice questions.

UMAT is much harder, and I got something like 120 :shy: without study. Which in any case is a crap score. STAT tests your general English and mathematical skills, but UMAT really requires empathy (section 2), inference skills (section 1), and spatial reasoning (section 3).

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
thanks a lot guys for the information ,really appreciate it ,:)
by the way , i m doing medicine next year even though i got me a position in MOnash but this year is a bit hectic for me coz of family reasons plus other reasons and don't ask it's long story ..................

arithmetic and numeracy skills , i hate when they put numbers in the boxes and ask u to guess the missing number which some how linked with all the others, i did that for my IQ test and got it wrong , lol
funny thing is, my IQ test was sooooo crap when i did in the internet ,( not high at all )but some how i managed to do really well in my UMAT ,, seriously it's very strange coz i have seen some people sit for UMAT over and over , many times , even though their IQ is far better than mine , example my dad's friend's son.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, go see a qualified psychologist if you want an IQ test--the market price for administration of an IQ test is around $150 to $200.

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
lala2 said:
Yeah, go see a qualified psychologist if you want an IQ test--the market price for administration of an IQ test is around $150 to $200.

fuck that, i rn'tpaying that much to check my IQ ,rather sit home and do something else to impove my IQ, read books , play with mathematical problems , and read the general knowledge book,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)