• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is the following situation ethical? (1 Viewer)

BobMac

HSC
I'm getting a new tutor for english, and for my half-yearly exam he is gonna give me a band 6 essay for Frankenstein/Blade Runner. I've already written one, but I don't think it's like band 6 at the moment. So would it be ethical for me to use that essay in my half-yearly?

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm getting a new tutor for english, and for my half-yearly exam he is gonna give me a band 6 essay for Frankenstein/Blade Runner. I've already written one, but I don't think it's like band 6 at the moment. So would it be ethical for me to use that essay in my half-yearly?
The only time where it's considered ethical is only just using some of the quotes and just paraphrasing the analysis and the related stuff :p

But personally I could suggest actually check your essay with your tutor, like try to tell him that it's better to make it your own work rather than just replicating memorized essays T_T

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Common sense obviously says that's highly unethical.

Would that essay even answer the question you are given? HERP DERP

HSC
Uni Grad
Common sense obviously says that's highly unethical.

Would that essay even answer the question you are given? HERP DERP
and the above as well. You should try to make an essay that answers the question, not just take someone elses and memorize it :p (even if you memorize your own essay, make sure you can adapt it to the question :p)

hscishard

HSC
Lol wtf? when it comes to the hsc you shouldn't care about ethics. Use w/e you have to your advantage.
Though this is my opinion

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^If one can excuse lack of ethics for the HSC, chances are they'll be able to justify if for everything that crops up in life.

To me, there are things far more important than the HSC. One is keeping your ethics about you.

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
What is ethical to one person may not be ethical to another person. Greed and your thirst to succeed, whisper in your ear to take the essay. But do you find this to be the right thing to do?

ps take the essay fuck people and their jealousy

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
No that is not ethical. Haven't you done "All my own work"? LOL, I don't exactly remember it but I'm pretty sure it states that your situation is unethical.

addicts

Officially Insane
HSC
yeah it's clearly not ethical.. personally when I get my assessment tasks back I feel good because I know I achieved that mark on my own.

but in the end obviously a band 6 essay right in front of you would be pretty tempting to use.. as long as it answers the question.

probs better to re write your own and incorporate parts of the other essay..

whatever floats your boat.

Aindan

HSC
It is 100% not ethical. I guess the real question is, are you prepared to do something unethical for a mark?

meh2163

HSC
I don't believe it's ethical to do that at all.

If you use your tutor's essay, this act will stand out to you and pry at your conscience perhaps for the rest of your life.

And I think you already know the answer; you wouldn't ask others if you didn't. Don't be tempted by others to get 'easy' grades. There are no shortcuts to a healthy life :)

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
I don't believe it's ethical to do that at all.

If you use your tutor's essay, this act will stand out to you and pry at your conscience perhaps for the rest of your life.

And I think you already know the answer; you wouldn't ask others if you didn't. Don't be tempted by others to get 'easy' grades. There are no shortcuts to a healthy life :)
o_O holy fuck you will not lead a happy successful life

BobMac

HSC
Thanks addicts, I think that will just some parts to it, and get him to check and edit my essay.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're just going to rote learn an essay that has no chance of adaptation to the question they actually ask, then you're screwed + you'll fail university with great splendour.

HSC
I assume if a tutor were to give his/her situation a band 6 essay, it would be adaptable.

In said case, I would take it tbh. This ethics bullshit really won't matter if you see a damn good mark in exchange for no real work whatsoever.

Though he could probably be giving an essay merely demonstrating what you need to do, which isn't adaptable. Then I would look into patching the essay into a more broad question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)