• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is there a limit on how big your muscles grow? (1 Viewer)

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
After I do my workout, im dead. Arms shaking, veins popped out, heart feels like its gonna rip outta my rib cage. Ill try doing the oblique crunches aswell as normal crunches.

and 23 why should I change my workout program?
i have a name you know:vcross: lol jks.

what are your goals?

do you workout at home or in a gym?

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
once you settle in to a routine of hanging leg raises you do weighted hanging leg raises :)
where you hold a dumbbell with your feet :)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Whoa, that sounds hard.

Sorry Mrsajmon23, I work out at home, my goal is to just get big muscles and at the same time look better, more defined.

Anything I can do for the chest ( pecs) other then chest press with dumbells, flys are to hard for me, the weight drops when I bring it down.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
pushups, and when u do flys, do a low weight, its normal for that weight to be much much lower than the weight u use to dumbell press.

HalcyonSky

HSC
Hi
I know there is a limit but what im asking is for a 17yo, who has been doing weights everynight ( 3 sets of 12 reps of bicep curls, bicep hammer curls, shoulder press, over row , chest press, tricep curl).

Is there a point were they wont grow, or as long as I do them every night they rip and grow.

you're overtraining you dipshit

5 minutes of reading any bodybuilding website and youll know that training the same muscle groups two or more days in a row is detrimental to their growth

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Whoa, that sounds hard.

Sorry Mrsajmon23, I work out at home, my goal is to just get big muscles and at the same time look better, more defined.

Anything I can do for the chest ( pecs) other then chest press with dumbells, flys are to hard for me, the weight drops when I bring it down.
lol, was just kidding, but thanks anyway ;)

what kind of equipment do you have? i gather from the info that you have dumbells, but do you have a bench + barbell?

HalcyonSky

HSC
(done when you lie flat on your back, with your hands at the base of your spine for added support. Raise your legs up at a 90 degree angle, then slowly lower until they’re only inches from the ground. Repeat until your stomach burns and you want to throw up)
ive never had back pains doing crunches, but doing this exercise they recommend instead usually gives me lower back pain once i get to about 30 with strict form

bleh

HalcyonSky

HSC
also, whats your verdict on the spinal safety of these babies:

[youtube]vCjHLu46ucA[/youtube]

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
If your heart feels like its going to rip out of your chest you should probably to some aerobic shit.

Venom.

HSC
Hi
I know there is a limit but what im asking is for a 17yo, who has been doing weights everynight ( 3 sets of 12 reps of bicep curls, bicep hammer curls, shoulder press, over row , chest press, tricep curl).

Is there a point were they wont grow, or as long as I do them every night they rip and grow.
Poor advice in this thread.

I highlighted the bold for a reason, if you're not a complete idiot you'll know why.

quik.

HSC
Your workout is horrible. That may be a result of a lack of equipment but it is still horrible. You need to work your legs and back as well. This will a) stop you having chicken legs (if you say 'nah my legs are big enough already' so help me god) b) help the rest of you grow as it will stimulate more hormones

There is no real limit to muscle hypertrophy, at least not one you are going to reach without YEARS if not a decade or more of dedicating yourself to the goal of gaining as much size as possible

Your current workout, the frequency at which you do it, and probably your diet even though you haven't mentioned it, are what will be holding you back.

Your workout needs to incorporate major muscle groups (legs/back/chest) and revolve around compound movements (movements that involve more than one joint). Around the compounds you can place isolation movements (those that involve one joint) as you see fit. Limited equipment will obviously limit your options, either get to a gym or ghetto some stuff up, it isn't that difficult if you're creative. 9-12 reps have been shown to result in greatest muscle hypertrophy (not necessarily strength), however you need to keep increasing the weight for it to continue working, at the very LEAST. Generally you will benefit from changing rep range when you plateau, as well as using different movements.

Frequency: Your muscle needs time to regenerate and build themselves back up stronger than they were before you damaged all the fibres. 24 hours or less (what you currently do) is not enough time for this. You will simply break them down again before they are rebuilt. If you've been doing your current routine for any significant period of time (more than a few months) then that pretty much signals that the weights you are using are for girly men because if they weren't you would be in a state of overtraining. 2-3 days before hitting a muscle group again is pretty standard, but if your muscles haven't recovered by then obviously wait till they do.

Diet: Without enough protein + calories, you will not grow. Period. You have to eat more than you burn to grow, it is that simple.

Also, DOMS (muscle soreness) isn't a very good indicator of a workouts effectiveness. In omie's case it is probably related to the fact he only works out once a week, in yours I would say it is because you keep hitting the same muscles before they are fresh again. Personally after a week or two of introducing a new movement, my body has adapted and DOMS is all but gone.

quik.

HSC
Injecting oil in your arms until they go boom doesn't count :p

HSC
Hi

Yes.

A full sized natural at 5' should be 100 pounds. If taller than this, for every 1" add 12 pounds for a heavy bone structure, 10 pounds for a medium bone structure and 8 pounds for a lighter bone structure.

But yeah, you wont get there without squats, deadlifts and power cleans/rows.

HSC
Quik I'm gonna leave this shit to you I'm sick of talking to walls. None of these guys eat, let alone have touched an actual barbell.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
I only started doing chest stuff for a few days, my chest is sore, so I guess I have to wait a couple of days for them to heal.

First time I did stuff for the triceps, they were really sore the next day, now they dont hurt at all.

ok, so what are some exercises I can do with a barbell? I dont know where to get one, I dont have that much cash atm.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Ok, now I need to buy a bench and a barbell

reel have this barbell set, 200 dollars, the barbell and 50kg of weight.

With the bench, do they come with racks? are they expensive?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
ok, so what are some exercises I can do with a barbell? I dont know where to get one, I dont have that much cash atm.
seriously, google any queries you have before posting on bos and making us all facepalm at your questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)