• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is western civilisation better than aboriginies of the past? (1 Viewer)

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
cxlxoxk said:
A large factor of this is "different strokes for different folks" which you can't see completely, because your western world influence makes you think that sociological outcomes matter to EVERY culture among other things.
there it is

pure unashamed racism

"the brown people LIKE dying of curable diseases!"

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
of that cxlxoxk, will he ever learn? *loony tunes music plays*

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
To be completely serious for a moment, I'd say there were many good things about indigenous Australian culture, they produced some decent art, music, knowledge etc... but on any qualitative measure of well-being and development in human civilisation an individual was substantially less well off to be born into aboriginal society.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
cxlxoxk said:
citation needed, where is your source?

[please apply to everything you have claimed so far]

thankyou for your co-operation

cxlxoxk

HSC
Will Shakespear said:
there it is

pure unashamed racism

"the brown people LIKE dying of curable diseases!"
no...they died of fewer diseases, before british came omg, watch guns, germs and steel, aborigines, did not have smallpox along with many other germs/diseases, that white man had contracted in their history...

Misericorde

HSC
cxlxoxk said:
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The trade of women was one way that the tribes could gain fresh genetics. By today's definition, the trade of women was a form of rape. The woman could not refuse the will of her tribe, nor that of her chosen partner, nor his kin. Although this trade was in the interests of both tribes, perhaps it was not a nice experience for the woman being traded. Consequently, a number of rituals developed to make the transition easier.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]In other areas, a girl may have been unaware that her marriage was impending. While she was out collecting food with the older women, she may have been seized by her intended husband and his "brothers". Once seized, her husband's brothers had sexual rights to her until she had settled down. By today's definition, this was a form of pack rape sanctioned by her tribe. However the girl's social upbringing would have motivated her to perceive the symbolic meaning of the pack rape in a different way to how it is perceived today. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]A retaliatory ritual may have been created to help girls cope with stress. An 1897 anthropological report described groups of men using their fingers or penis-shaped sticks to enlarge a girl's vagina. Several men then had sex with the girl. The second part of the ritual allowed dancing girls to hit any men whom they held a grudge against. This was done without fear of retaliation. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Although such customs may have lessened the lady's trauma, her trade was probably still quite stressful. It is also possible that her husband may have been an older man whose sperm had passed its used-by date. Perhaps a secret lover was taken to provide her with emotional support in her alien environment. Such a relationship would have been her only hope for the kind of romantic love that is known today. A secret lover might also have increased her chance of mating with a man whose sperm was virile. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]
[here]

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
To be completely serious for a moment, I'd say there were many good things about indigenous Australian culture, they produced some decent art, music, knowledge etc... but on any qualitative measure of well-being and development in human civilisation an individual was substantially less well off to be born into aboriginal society.
well put. unfortunately, 'better' implies all aspects, included which are quality of life. so xcloxcocxlcxxcoxc and the gang are fighting a losing battle

cxlxoxk

HSC
gibbo153 said:

[please apply to everything you have claimed so far]

thankyou for your co-operation
i don't need to, mine has been largely analogies...

you do however...

ongitsangali, also said a source, yr 9-10 australian history textbooks.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
cxlxoxk said:
no...they died of fewer diseases, before british came omg, watch guns, germs and steel, aborigines, did not have smallpox along with many other germs/diseases, that white man had contracted in their history...
i want you to start admitting when we point out flaws in your argument.

seriously, you again have just put forth a very very distorted statement.
i plead with you, just stop talking horse faeces

Misericorde

HSC
cxlxoxk said:

you do however...

He also admitted to their bias.
ongitsangali said:
i can't believe that there are so many people here that take the view that opposes his view, actually.

the government, board of education, and the media seem to all concur with him...
EDIT: Also, I don't believe analogies are exclusive with facts.
EDIT2: We've provided citation in the post up above, in case you didn't notice.

Last edited:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
cxlxoxk said:

you do however...

ok, well start using sources. your own imaginings do not count as evidence.

no i don't, please quote where i need to.

ok good for her, you didn't though.

STOP POSTING

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Misericorde said:
EDIT2: We've provided citation in the post up above, in case you didn't notice.
of course he didn't notice. noticing that would dent his own personal sense of 'him winning'.

cxlxoxk

HSC
oh and btw, it would be stupid of me to compare aborigines of the PAST, to women of TODAY'S western world, i would have to go back to the same time British arrived, traditional aboriginal culture have not had the past 200+ years to change, it was fucked up by the british.

Because traditional Aboriginal culture virtually disappeared and didn't get to change...

in 18th century Europe, (the "western world" at the time) - some even closer to present day

on women's education:

"The goal of women's education was to attain an ideal "womanhood"—a "proper education" was viewed as one that supported domestic and social activities but disregarded more academic pursuits."

on women's rights:
Olympe de Gouges demanded equal rights for women in the new French Republic, and was eventually executed by guillotine in 1793.

Madame Roland, was an activist for women's social and political rights and was executed for treason, largely due to her outspoken feminist ideas.

Women in the 16th, 17th, and 18th Centuries | Introduction: Feminism in Literature

on slavery of women:

Phillis Wheatley was a slavewoman in Europe.

Did aboriginals enslave human females??? Which is worse slavery or forced marriage?

on property ownership for women:

Only unmarried woman could do ALL of these things: "own property, make a contract, or sue and be sued".When married, women, "gave up her name, and virtually all her property came under her husband's control"

on jobs for women:

"In 1890, women constituted about 5 percent of the total doctors in the United States. During the 1980s the proportion was about 17 percent." Wow and that was just 28 years ago, talk about gender inequality in professions.

"Women constituted more than 45 percent of employed persons in the United States in 1989, but they had only a small share of the decision-making jobs."

Other

"During the early history of the United States, a man virtually owned his wife and children as he did his material possessions."

WIC - Women's History in America

Last edited:

cxlxoxk

HSC
Riet said:
Quit living in the past.
i'm not, i am saying, the aboriginal culture was of the PAST, so i have to compare them to western world OF THE SAME TIME AS THEM.

cxlxoxk

HSC
Tell me which is more important, to be able:

to do what you want (freedom of LIFE) or to marry whoever you want (freedom to MARRY)

If you say that being a slave is better than being forced to marry someone, then your conscience is fucked.

Phillis Wheatley was not the only slavewoman in Europe at the time, there were thousands of others.

Last edited:
HSC
cxlxoxk said:
Tell me which is more important, to be able:

to do what you want (freedom of LIFE) or to marry whoever you want (freedom to MARRY)

If you say that being a slave is better than being forced to marry someone, then your conscience is fucked.

Phillis Wheatley was not the only slavewoman in Europe at the time, there were thousands of others.
You really are fucking retarded. You don't think the Aboriginals had a rigid social system and marriage arrangement?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)