• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Islam (2 Viewers)

tempco

HSC
i missed tariq ramadan's seminar that happened a few weeks ago... that really sucked :(

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
Sweets said:
Umm maybe you shouldn't be so presumptuous my friend. I have read the Qu'ran in both english and arabic and I did say that to me Tariq Ramadan represents a good wordview I did not attempt to impose that on you. Btw, I was raised in a muslim family so maybe you shouldn't presume and as a result of this I have been exposed to many strands of Islam- conservative, liberal, fundamentalist, extremist you name it.
my bad, i was quick to judge

HotShot

-_-
HSC
why are you taking another persons interpretation of the quran and believing isnt that lazy? lol i think it is.

interpret the quran urself and read other peoples interpreatation compare and contrast. research history not of the only quran nor only islam but christanity and judaism, because christanity and judaism are in some ways related to islam and give further understanding.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
umm i'm not being lazy im exposing myself to various thinkers and philosophers who I believe have much more knowledge on Islam then I do. If you have ever read the Qur'an you will realise it is a complex book which is hard for some1 who does not have a wide breath of theological knowledge to decipher correctly. You may have that. But I feel I don't that's why i like to read many books, articles etc on issues and gather a greater understanding of religion itself.

I think the first step in learning is to realise you know nothing, you my friend seem to have failed to do that.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
HotShot said:
why are you taking another persons interpretation of the quran and believing isnt that lazy? lol i think it is.

interpret the quran urself and read other peoples interpreatation compare and contrast. research history not of the only quran nor only islam but christanity and judaism, because christanity and judaism are in some ways related to islam and give further understanding.
"I think the first step in learning is to realise you know nothing, you my friend seem to have failed to do that."

i exactly what you said to read articles that are related, but to believe them just yet until you yourself have formed a interpretation.

i dont think the first step in learning is to realise you know nothing, rathers its something you know and you want to further investigate which will in turn open other options that you want to learn.

by knowing nothing how do you what to learn and how to learn?

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
sweets, the problem with losing faith in organised religion is that thats what people view it as-organised religion. You cant just look at the exterior and say "oh, empty rituals, a bunch of useless dogma etc." like i suppose you can do with Christianity (no offence guys im drawing on an analogy). People who are disilussioned by organised religion never stop to think about the inherent truth behind them. We live in a world which values relativism and refutes the idea of an ultimate truth, and thats the sad thing, because an ultimate truth does exist but people are often too lazy to find it and so buy into these relativistic ideals in the name of "free thinking". I'd know...ive fallen into it. Sweets, im not sure what ur reason behind losing faith in organised religion is, but you cant refute the fact that there is an ultimate truth as has been revealed through organised religion, but amongst all the rituals and dogma we place such value on, we've lost that touch with the divine. Thats why its important to look past the points you may dislike in an organised religion and realise the truth behind it.

Im not being pushy by the way, im merely stating the fact of the matter

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
It's great how you have faith but there is nothing factual about what you said. It all held together my one thing faith and belief. Inherent truth- well I think when you were writing that you were aware of the fact that the truth is a complex thing. I mean it seems to me you don't realise that you are a product of your context and therefore your belief on what is true is filtered your context, so in that sense there is nothing inherently truthful about your belief. It is just a manifestation of your context and nothing spectacular or divine in that sense. As are my beliefs.

Free thinking- I think it should be encouraged because if there is an inherent truth then people will always return to it. I mean you would only want to stop people from questioning if it wasn't the truth right?

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
people, im not returning til end of my trtials, so see u in august :)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ok got a question?

what is the significane of the Dome of the Rock in islam? Thank you

i need to know, simply cause i dont know.

anyhow answersplz.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
thanks

anyhow i just needed to know about the al aqsa mosque, cos of the arab-israeli conflict for modern history.

suppose if the israelis were to blow it up, would the general muslim community be enraged (not the arabs they have their political reasons to be enraged) like would it be as bad if the jews lost jerusalem?

i know its wacked question!

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
nekkid said:
hrms, I should think so. I am Muslim after all. :p
lol.....shit man I did not even know that......hehehe...I was about to recommend going to a mosque....lol

tempco

HSC
I should go to a mosque though. only go on Fridays, even though I live like 2 mins away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)