• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

James Ruse Trial Question (1 Viewer)

Ambility

HSC
bCocb9j.png

This is a screenshot from an answer sheet of a James Ruse paper. Apparently, the correct answer is B (bolded), but I believe the correct answer is A. Could someone explain why B is correct?

Shuuya

HSC
http://i.imgur.com/VjeFFez.png

Why is this c? How would you even work it out?
For elements up to about 20, the neutron: proton ratio should be about 1. For larger elements until about 83, the neutron: proton ratio should be about 1.5 for stable elements.

In the case of c), there are 20 neutrons and 17 protons, which is about 1.17, meaning that the ratio of neutrons: protons is too high. I pretty much went through all the options and checked the ratios :)

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
View attachment 32876

This is a screenshot from an answer sheet of a James Ruse paper. Apparently, the correct answer is B (bolded), but I believe the correct answer is A. Could someone explain why B is correct?
Note that the question asks for the IUPAC name of an isomer of the compound, not the name of the actual compound itself.

http://i.imgur.com/VjeFFez.png

Why is this c? How would you even work it out?
On our periodic table, we can see that the average mass of a chlorine atom is 35.45 amu (atomic mass units). In option C, we have 37 atomic mass units, indicating that we are dealing with a isotope with more neutrons than usual; hence our neutron : proton ratio is too high.
Also, all the other options are wrong, if you employ a similar method of thinking.

http://i.imgur.com/6Iw5vro.png

Also, how would you work out this?
Both lead (II) sulfate and lead (II) chloride are insoluble.

Ambility

HSC
Sigh....

Do I need to memorise the solubility table? I don't think it is on the data sheet.

Ambility

HSC
Note that the question asks for the IUPAC name of an isomer of the compound, not the name of the actual compound itself.

On our periodic table, we can see that the average mass of a chlorine atom is 35.45 amu (atomic mass units). In option C, we have 37 atomic mass units, indicating that we are dealing with a isotope with more neutrons than usual; hence our neutron : proton ratio is too high.
Also, all the other options are wrong, if you employ a similar method of thinking.

Both lead (II) sulfate and lead (II) chloride are insoluble.
Thanks, I didn't realise that it was an isomer... :mad3:

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Sigh....

Do I need to memorise the solubility table? I don't think it is on the data sheet.
You should also remember/memorise specific details about specific precipitates, e.g. BaSO4 is fine & white, PbI2 is bright yellow, etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)