• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Journeys: Things Fall Apart By Chinua Achebe (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
Has anybody read this book? I'm still curious, how it relates solidly to journeys or more specifically inner journeys? I see how it may relate to change, and the controversy between culture and change. Can anybody explain to me how it relates to inner journeys - or if they have notes they feel free to share, please PM me.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I apologise if I posted this in the wrong section.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
This is in the correct section.

Things Fall Apart is an excellent choice of text for Journeys, or Belonging for that matter. I in fact, used it for my HSC for Belonging. Change and inner journeys are very closely related as well. Nwoye goes on an inner journey of spirituality - he initially starts out with the beliefs that very closely mirror his father's, however, as time goes by, his experiences of this culture disillusion him, as he conforms to the beliefs of Christianity, and finds inner happiness there. Hence, you could say that Nwoye has gone on an inner journey of his own - his own so called 'path of enlightenment'. On the other hand, Okonkwo's inner journey is one of steadfast loyalty to his cultural beliefs. Despite the 'obstacles' faced along this path, whether that be the introduction of Christianity to his tribe, or his being sent to jail - he is always been steadfastly stubborn to his cultural heritage. Hence his inner journey contrasts his son's inner journey.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
^ Exactly. Yet Okwonkwo's inner journey, which allows him to remain steadfast with his traditional beliefs and hence provides him with a greater appreciation of it, ultimately leads him to this death in the end.

It's the introduction of white colonisation and Christianity that acts as a major plotline catalyst for both characters, and their reactions towards it instigates them to go on diverging pathways.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I really liked this book and I'm thinking about using it as a found text. Aerath's summary is excellent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)