• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

KING LEAR help - Brook and Miller (1 Viewer)

tigerlilli28

Hey, does anyone have anything on Peter Brook's production (as existential) or Miller's (as aristolian tragedy) ??? especially the first and last scenes...im sooo screwed for king lear.

you know how in Peter Brook's he's minimalised emotions etc - when Cordelia says "nothing" and Lear banishes her does he still go crazy or is he emotionless here too? i cant remember- its been ages since ive seen it.

Owyn

HSC
I havent seen brooke's one.... well that i can remember, but i read Miller's as a marxist production. You dont actually develope much sympathy for Lear through Millers production, whereas Kent's honour and Edmunds dishonour are emphasised. Lears even shown as being cruel to everyone in this poruction so i dont see how traditional tradgedy structure works with miller....

HSC
Wasn't Miller the romantic/ christian one? with Cordelia dressed all in white to contrast with the rest of the people (who are in dark clothes) in the court? in Act I Scene I, I mean..

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
sixleadballoons said:
Wasn't Miller the romantic/ christian one? with Cordelia dressed all in white to contrast with the rest of the people (who are in dark clothes) in the court? in Act I Scene I, I mean..
i always thought it was a christian one, particularly with Cordelia being dressed in white and Tom having the wreath and the loin cloth and the markings on his hands..

tigerlilli28

um, i don't know, the notes i got from someone were all about it being an aristotelian tragedy... with Cordelia in white I interpretted that as representing good whilst Goneril and Regan wear black which represents bad, which was the idea in a traditional reading...
But I'm really confused, I might stick with feminist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)