• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

LAPPY WARS!! Single vs. Dual (SLI) Graphics cards (1 Viewer)

HedgeMaster

HSC
Yo ppl,
Im gunna buy a lappy in the next few days and im down to 2 models the dell xps m1730 and the toshiba satellite x200. Both models have pretty similar specs, same T7700 2.4 core 2 duo proc, expect the xps has a faster hdd (7200rpm) a higher res and dual geforce 8700M GT SLI cards. Wheras the X200 has a HD-DVD drive and a Geforce Go 8700M GT with 512mb dedicated video memory( 512mb discrete video mem and 767md shared system memory using turbocahe tecH). Did I happen 2 mention the XPS M1730 is 2 Kg's heavier than the other which and has super kool pretty led'son top and a customisable light backlit keyboard, lol!!, which also has 2 b taken into consideration. Wat this thread will hopfully determine to me, which lappy I should get and answer the burning question..... is two cards better than one??

Collin

HSC
N/A
What lappy should you get? You can answer that better than us.

Hint: We have no idea what you want the laptop for.

If it's for gaming, then ever considered a desktop? The dual 8700M GTs aren't much better than a 7950GTX Go. $3000 could instead go towards a E6850, 8800GT 512MB SLi + 24" LCD gaming beast (with change to spare) which would absolutely demolish the M1730 and X200.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
ur gonna buy a ridiculously priced laptop to play games? how absurd.

HedgeMaster

HSC
LOL!!, thats a stupid idea. Of course the laptop just aint for gaming, as not not realise as much, is that gaming runs alongside performance programmes, lol!, so its basically for maya/ PS rendering on the run (dual boot with os X), lol!, he he laptop for gaming, like ther gunna replace desktops, LOL!!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
http://www.penta.com.au/template.php?seqid=22016

http://www.penta.com.au/template.php?seqid=22258

I'm getting the second one, for "uni" and not crysis or cod4 or timeshift or unreal tournament 3 ;)

You should be able to use maya and stuff on it, as well as play games on pretty high settings (at least i reckon). Maybe loading xp onto it, instead of vista, will make em even better.
These 2 laptops are quite good, performance and price wise. I know ur xps will be quite expensive, not sure about the toshiba, but ultimately its up to u. The toshiba will most likely be cheaper than the xps, so if that can do the job, then that'd be the better pick. Check out my 2 links too, theyre quite good too.

EDIT: HD dvd is out of the game now, blu ray won, so if u really want, get one with blu ray, but i dont reckon it'll be needed, unless u wanna watch bluray movies. Even so, i dunno if bluray drive can work as a dvd-r or dvd-rw drive, which is why im getting the laptop which doesnt have bluray. Up to u what u wanna do with it.

oops..i didnt realise how old this thread was LOL!

Last edited:

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
i really like that second one you put up. maybe could get it a little cheaper if you shopped around a little more.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Yeah, i got it last thursday from myer, came in a bundle: laptop, mouse, bag, 250gb ext hardrive, and microsoft office home and student. Price was $1999, we got it for around $1500, haggling and employee discount ftw! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)