• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Law at UQ - any good? (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Law at UQ?

I believe UQ is a fairly respectable university.

Of course, if you want to practice law in NSW, then a law degree from USyd or UNSW would be more highly regarded.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Re: Law at UQ?

MoonlightSonata said:
Of course, if you want to practice law in NSW, then a law degree from USyd or UNSW would be more highly regarded.
I find myself doing this on these forums a bit and I swear I don't intentionally set out to stir things up, but:

Why?

It is based on anything you actually know or just what you perceive to be the case?

The difference between studying in Qld and practising in Qld would be almost exactly the same as studying in Qld and practicing in NSW (assuming for a second that that is what the OP intended to do).

You pretty much re-learn everything once you start practising anyway, you never refer to legislation without going back to it and examining in much more detail than you ever would in uni and largely, the law is very similar.

Sure, you can say "NSW doesn't have a criminal code" or "this piece of legislation (NSW) is much different to that piece of legislation (Qld)", but you don't get hired for your knowledge of the law, you are hired for your potential ability to implement your analytical legal skills into practice. This ability is not jurisdiction-specific.

Assuming that UQ is recognised as providing roughly a similar standard of degree as UNSW, USyd, ANU etc, (which is something I'm not necessarily saying, although it does appear to be the consensus) I can't see any sense in your comment.

(Note: I did not go to UQ)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I understand what you're saying and it makes sense in terms of the value of the degree programs between the jurisdictions. But I'm referring to the attractiveness of the law degrees for practice in NSW in terms of recognition or reputation.
BillytheFIsh said:
Assuming that UQ is recognised as providing roughly a similar standard of degree as UNSW, USyd, ANU etc, (which is something I'm not necessarily saying, although it does appear to be the consensus) ...
I think that assumption is the root of the disagreement. My view is that in NSW law degrees from USyd or UNSW are more highly regarded by firms in NSW than any other university in the country. That includes UQ. To what extent is always debatable. I don't make any argument about the quality of the programs whatsoever, merely the recognition.

It may also be the case that QLD law firms see a UQ degree as more highly regarded than a USyd or UNSW degree, but I don't really know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)