• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Law/Commerce @ UNSW/Monash/UQ ? (1 Viewer)

mrlayup

HSC
Hey guys, this is my first post so forgive me if I've placed it in the wrong section.

I'm a 2012 high school graduate from Queensland with an OP1 (ATAR/ENTER of 99+). I've recently been offered combined law/commerce at UQ (QLD), UNSW (NSW) and Monash (VIC) and I have sorted out all the necessary accommodation at both NSW and VIC (on campus). I'm leaning towards UNSW and Monash as prospective universities to study at, mainly because of their higher rankings in Australia (and the world) within their respective Faculties of Law and Business. That being said, I am certainly open to what UQ students/alumni have to say about the university and its faculties.

In addition to the offers, I've received two scholarships at Monash University totalling $31,000 over the 5 years of this dual degree.

Now, my question is especially directed to those who have had experiences at UNSW and/or Monash as to which university they would recommend in my circumstances? Both require interstate travel and while I currently prefer Sydney more, this should be taken lightly as I've only ever visited Melbourne once (and quite a few years ago).

All comments are welcome and if the answers could address these following points, I'd certainly appreciate it!
- Personal experiences
- Prestige (national/international recognition)
- Practical opportunities offered (work experience/internships/exchange)
- Job prospects

inJust

HSC
I'd take the scholarship to Monash considering the difference between UNSW and Monash is very little.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd take the scholarship to Monash considering the difference between UNSW and Monash is very little.
My sentiments exactly - can't go wrong with either law school. Curious which state would you like to work in the future?

mrlayup

HSC
My sentiments exactly - can't go wrong with either law school. Curious which state would you like to work in the future?
Right now I'm favouring Sydney but in general I'm certainly looking towards the bigger CBDs and international hotspots here which attract top tier firms/industries. For the long term, perhaps somewhere overseas like the US or the UK. What are your thoughts on the Commerce side of it?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Right now I'm favouring Sydney but in general I'm certainly looking towards the bigger CBDs and international hotspots here which attract top tier firms/industries. For the long term, perhaps somewhere overseas like the US or the UK. What are your thoughts on the Commerce side of it?
Given that Sydney is the financial hub of the country and that a majority of foreign banks are located here - it is natural to assume that there are more job prospects. Also I'm incline to say that the Sydney based employers would favour a student from UNSW over UQ/Monash, ceteris paribus.

In the grand scheme of things there's no distinction between the global reputation of either of the aforementioned universities and work placement in the US/UK would be dependent on experience/CV, cover letter, referrals etc.

mrlayup

HSC
Another factor that was brought to my attention is the entry cutoffs for each university. While I understand these rates are affected by many factors than simply the quality of the education (demand/supply), it certainly defines the cohort demographics that I'll be studying and perhaps working with. To what extent should I take this on board for university consideration?

UNSW = 99.65
Monash = 97.95
UQ = 97.5

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Another factor that was brought to my attention is the entry cutoffs for each university. While I understand these rates are affected by many factors than simply the quality of the education (demand/supply), it certainly defines the cohort demographics that I'll be studying and perhaps working with. To what extent should I take this on board for university consideration?

UNSW = 99.65
Monash = 97.95
UQ = 97.5
I generally wouldn't take that into too much consideration. UNSW has quite high atar requirements compared to EVERY other university.

fatboi

HSC
N/A
You'll often find that the reason the general cut off is so high for UNSW/USyD law isn't because only 99.7ers get in. If you think about it, there's only 250ish students who get 99.7+ in NSW, and I'll tell you, less than half will do law. The real reason those cut offs are high is due to EAS

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
You'll often find that the reason the general cut off is so high for UNSW/USyD law isn't because only 99.7ers get in. If you think about it, there's only 250ish students who get 99.7+ in NSW, and I'll tell you, less than half will do law. The real reason those cut offs are high is due to EAS
Moot point. The same happens at UQ/Monash and even UoM for that matter.

mrlayup

HSC
Hm how about the long term scheme of things? Should my $31,000 scholarship be such a decisive factor? Or merely an added bonus? I like Sydney but I hear Melbourne is really great too. As far as financing is concerned, I'd assume I'd break-even a few years into getting a decent job...

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Hm how about the long term scheme of things? Should my $31,000 scholarship be such a decisive factor? Or merely an added bonus? I like Sydney but I hear Melbourne is really great too. As far as financing is concerned, I'd assume I'd break-even a few years into getting a decent job...
Well the scholarship + award (circa 30k) that I received was a pretty decisive factor for me. Who knows maybe I would of chose dentistry at Griffith. It really depends whether you can financially cope in a different city.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
It shouldn't be the decisive factor. I would just take it as an added bonus.

If I was to travel interstate I would consider factors such as the uni environment, things I can do on days off, where I want to work more later on etc.

mrlayup

HSC
Thanks all for the prompt replies! Your comments have given me a lot to consider/think about as I made my decision :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)