• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Law: Group work? (1 Viewer)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Is there much group work in the law course? I have read a few posts where people have spoken about such group activities/assignments in their course and was hoping this isn't the same for law.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I don't do law, but group work is essential and a large part of most degrees. Plus, after about a semester to a year, you learn who to work with and who not to work with - majority comes from bitching behind peoples backs. lol.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I have still to do 2 group assignments this semester. Its good, cause we are all very good friends, so we all know who is good at doing what. The only problem is that cause we are all good friends, we kinda get really side tracked. I like threatening people with peer assessment, you don't work, I'll give you a 1 :p

I do prefer individual assignments though.

Jonathan A

HSC
I have not come across a group-work assignment in my LLB course thus far. But they do occur. I did Law and Society last semester which did have a group assignment.

Law is taught in seminar-mode. It often requires prior preparation and a group to consult with is ideal. In addition, seminar activites may involve a group and I often regard interaction with others vital in building networks.

Jonathan A

HSC
melsc said:
I prefer to do individual assignments, I hate group assignments bcoz u get stuck with the slackers or have a major disagreement abt something stupid

I agree Melsc. That is why often I give the "HD Speech"

It goes along the lines of:

"By entering this group with my presence, you agree to strive for a High Distinction. Anything lower is not good enough. I demand excellence, diligence, commitment and originality. Extensive research is an understatement for the endeavour we embark upon. If you fail to do this, you are not in the group. Is that understood?"

hYperTrOphY

HSC
melsc said:
I prefer to do individual assignments, I hate group assignments bcoz u get stuck with the slackers or have a major disagreement abt something stupid
Exactly, that is why I don't like group work. I do enjoy the interaction and team work, but in the past I have found that I feel I have to do nearly everything (even if others dont mind doing the work) so I get the mark I want.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Exactly, that is why I don't like group work. I do enjoy the interaction and team work, but in the past I have found that I feel I have to do nearly everything (even if others dont mind doing the work) so I get the mark I want.
Exactly!!!!!!!!

Angel45

HSC
For my comm. research assignment i am doing student attitudes' toward assessable group work:p i'll be sure to 4wd on a copy of the survey. hehe

L

LaraB

melsc said:
does that get rid of the slackers LOL
not really - eg my group for intro to law i was given that speech coz im just a lowly 1st yr outa school undergrad so of course i'm a moron :rolleyes:

i can't stand peopel who give that speech.. so what.. i'm aiming to fail? my life mission is to prevent you getting a HD? its just arrogant and rude and no member of group work has a right to 'command' the others...

that's what makes group work f*ck up - when you have 1 person try to take charge and 'oversee' everyone else to make sure we're up to their supreme standards.. so stupid

L

LaraB

natstar said:
I got the only HD out of anyone in the unit in a recent essay I did. My group is telling everyone, SHE"s IN OUR GROUP, its so embaressing and now i'm expected to get a HD in this assignment.
I think the "p's get degrees' philosophy is totally stupid. I pay 4 grand a year to go to uni. I expect myself to get the grades worthy of paying that much money
$4000 a year?! What the?!

i mean..i'm doing bus/law and law is one of the most expensive courses and it costs me this year i think around $3000 for uni + SAF

far as the question originally re groupwork - there is very little group work for law... basically none except moots which don't really count as group work coz you're not marked as a gropu you just have to ensure your moot is inline with your groups arguments and facts etc

yes most courses have group work but not all courses havea substantial amount and a lot of group work you are not marked as a group anyway. A lot of group work you do a group presentation and hand inyour own written piece, or research as a group and do all the writing individually, or present as a group but get marked on each contriubution etc

unlike high school, there ar em ore formal and official procedures to go thru if a group member fails to do work and there isn't,.. or at least shouldn't be a group Nazi who feels a need to command everyone to aim high... if peopl are failing to cintribute you can inform your tutor/lecturer etc and it will often lead to them being marked accordingly

hYperTrOphY

HSC
$3,000 for law!? $0 - $3,847 is for National Priorities - why would law be so cheap? Law is a band 3 course - $0 - $8,018.

In saying that, I hope it is only $3,000! :)

EDIT: Thanks for the info on group work!

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Arts/Law at USyd - three years, no group assignments at all.

I have a feeling, based purely on anecdotal evidence, that group assignments tend to be more common in Eco/Bus and Science faculties. :)

My HECS is so much per year that it's depressing - so I'm not going to talk about it. But - I found out the other day that I need to start paying it back because last financial year (and this current fin year, I assume) my income exceeded $35,000! I am sooo annoyed!

L

LaraB

to those talking about unsw or usyd or whatever - i'm assuming since this was posted in the uws thread the question was about group work in law degrees at uws not unis in general...

hyperthrophy - re the fees - it was a typo - was meant to be around $5000 per year.... that's based on this year tho - 1st year will cost me between $5-6000. 2nd and 3rd will be cheaper coz i'll have 3 non law units, 4th and 5th will be more expensiev coz its all law units

its not $8000 per year - it's less or more depdending on how many law units you do per semester... eg each semester this year cost me roughly $2500 i think coz i had half business and half law subjects - combined law degrees costs are less per year than straight law degrees but more overall i'm pretty sure

Natstar - i was saying that $4000 a year seemed ridiculous since law is a top band course and i've got half law half business units this semester so it seemed wrong that it's so close to being the same cost as my course this year since half my units are the most expensive ones and half are the same level as the marketing ones.

L

LaraB

ManlyChief said:
Arts/Law at USyd - three years, no group assignments at all.

I have a feeling, based purely on anecdotal evidence, that group assignments tend to be more common in Eco/Bus and Science faculties. :)
no group work may not be a good thing though since Usyd's been criticised for being too theory based and not as interaction-based as you'd expect

seems like marketing and communications are the big 2 for gropu work given the nature of the course content and the probably nature of occupation for graduates.

ps - omg poor baby i pity you for earning enough to pay back hecs :rolleyes: how ironic that a uni student, particuarly a law student since its expensive, is whinging about having a shitload of money compared to the average uni student:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)