• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Law School in jeopardy? (1 Viewer)

Spirits

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering what u guys think about them removing Jurisprudence and now all this talk about PLT. I'm sure most people took these two factors into consideration when choosing to do law at UWS. Is anyone having reservations?

L

LaraB

Nope...

i came to uws coz the business course here that im doing isnt offered anywhere else and coz i was told the law lecturers are really good and the course structure's good.

i dont really mind about the other stuff....i dont care where i go for all the post-grad/practical stuff because everywhere seems just as good as each other. I actually had planned on going to unsw or anu anyways...

but yeah..it does suck that they may be ditching it for those who wanted to do it...

same goes with the restructuring of the SGSM people (post grad management)... lol even the lectuers are bitchin about it:p

L

LaraB

Demandred said:
OMFG, wtf are they thinking. :chainsaw:
i dunno..depends on your perspective..but from what i've been told uws PLT isnt like...far and beyond all others in quality or cost wise...so i dunno..i don't think its THAT bad a thing...its shitty but not the end of the world i guess...

Spirits

HSC
N/A
can u get HECS assistance if u do PLT at a different place?

L

LaraB

Spirits said:
can u get HECS assistance if u do PLT at a different place?
from what ive been told you can do PLT wherever the hell you want...

just like you can transfer unis or do a post grad course at a different uni or do ur masters or honours at a differernt uni and still get HECS support

i dunno but the HEC's type stuff might be different for the PLT coz there wsa all this stuff on the survey about increased costs and i ncreased student fees and stuff...

Spirits

HSC
N/A
yeah its just that PLT is different to transferring. PLT is AFTER u graduate right?

L

LaraB

Spirits said:
yeah its just that PLT is different to transferring. PLT is AFTER u graduate right?
yeah..its not like going from one year to the next...they don't 'assume' i guess, that you're going to do it

Jonathan A

HSC
Spirits said:
I was just wondering what u guys think about them removing Jurisprudence and now all this talk about PLT. I'm sure most people took these two factors into consideration when choosing to do law at UWS. Is anyone having reservations?

I don't want either to be removed. However it wont mean we are in jeopardy. THe Legal Practitioners Admission Board set what we need to complete in our LLB to gain admission, UWS is fine. Jurisprudence is an elective at UWS and is a unit looking at cultural and philosophical issues of law. It is in some respects controversial as it takes a different path from positivism that we would traditionally adopt as practitioners. Jurisprudence is offered every second year, what annoys me is how "Feminist Jurisprudence" is offered more often.

PLT is an important step for all graduates intending to be lawyers. It generally takes 6 months and most law students go to the College of Law or UOW which doesn't have a practical placement programme (streamlined). But I think we will need it, considering the West needs practical training facilities.

Spirits

HSC
N/A
the fact that there is so much effort being put into trying to get this changed seems to suggest it is a pretty serious concern

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Isnt it the certificate you have to get thru the skool of law after ur degree to practice law?
it's the postgraduate training course which qualifies you for a practising certificate. Law Society link here.

Jonathan A

HSC
The PLT (also known as the Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice) is not available at every uni - not even USyd has it. As I said, most people go to:

-College of Law (at St Leonards)
-UOW (does not have practical placement)
-UTS
-UWS (which has some units with College of Law)
-ANU
-Bond in QLD (Which offers a Master of Law (Legal Practice) degree)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Jonathan A said:
The PLT (also known as the Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice) is not available at every uni - not even USyd has it. As I said, most people go to:

-College of Law (at St Leonards)
-UOW (does not have practical placement)
-UTS
-UWS (which has some units with College of Law)
-ANU
-Bond in QLD (Which offers a Master of Law (Legal Practice) degree)
Is the PLT only a requirement for practice in NSW? Even thought I dont want to go interstate it wld be good to know

Jonathan A

HSC
Generally it is. If you are admitted in NSW, you can practice in any state and territory I am meant to believe.

I am planning on doing the English Admission test, so I can practice there. Another thing on my list, but a hard one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)