• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

LAW427 - Trial Advocacy running in 08? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Heya guys,
Does anyone know if LAW427 - Trial advocacy is running in 08? In the 07 handbook it says it will but there is no meantion of it on the 08 draft timetable. I've emailed the co-ordinator and got no response. I need to pick an elective as I am down to one SOC subject which I am doing in second semester and I need to get a waiver so I have to organise it soon. I am also thinking about LAW509 - International Law but I am wondering if it will be a bit much with constitutional and property

maka

HSC
Thats a shame.

Trial advocacy seems pretty interesting!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
No, the bloody bastards have withdrawn it! The law dept have stressed me out this year with units. They all said they were running until just the other day which I think is hella dodgy. I wanted to do international dispute settlement, too :(

Health law in S1 is fantastic, I cant recommend it enough. And as GTG said Dispute is fantastic, too. I'm doing EU law in S1 which I'm really looking forward to.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Yeah, it looks fantastic doesnt it? If they do run it next year, contact the law admin people because I think you need to put your name on a list for it or something, because it is so popular.

Then I'll read your notes because I'll be a law graduate geek! ;)

maka

HSC
Hey Melsc,

I was just wondering if the convenor ever got back to you in relation to when the subject will be run next.

It looks very interesting and I am hoping that unlike some of the other electives, it will not get cancelled and put back until after we finish uni.

maka

HSC
I think they really need to review the LAW electives that they have on offer. Do they ever evaluate law electives in terms of running new subjects/discontinuing subjects as electives?

Its pretty limited in scope when compared to other universities options. A lot of them seem overly jurisprudential, human rights based or environmentally focused. Thats not necessarily a bad thing but it really isnt my cup of tea. It just seems like various emerging areas of Law need to be considered some more.

I think I might have to consider doing some law options from other unis because I reckon I'll struggle to get 8 electives that actually interest me.

They really need a Sports Law subject for example. I am certain that course would be packed out year in year out if it was offered. USYD, UNSW and UTS offer it already. They really need to keep up with student interests and trends. Trial Advocacy is another example. Seems to be really popular and there is a decision not to run it.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I know I'd really love to do it.
I'm already considering Advanced Criminal law and International Criminal law at UWS because we have nothing like it and personally if we did I prefer not to be taught by anne.

The only ones that interest me at mac are mooting electives, clinical program and international law. I'd love more practical subjects

maka

HSC
What would you really love to do? Sports Law and/or Trial Advocacy?

From my quick look at the MQ Law electives, I only find 4 as being definite:
Labour Law
Trade Practices Law
Trial Advocacy
Dispute Mgt and Resolution

Then I think I could be sorta interested in:
Family Law
International Law.

Then theres 2 subjects I wouldnt really know what to do

I was considering Health Law and Ethics especially if George Tomossy takes some tutorials. Hes a really good tutor. Then I suppose either Sports Law at another uni or Foundations of Commercial Law.

maka

HSC
melsc..

The following may be of some interest to you.

I was going through the handbook and I had a look at Trial Advocacy. It says that it will be offered in 2009

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unit.php?edition=2008&unitCode=LAW427

I think since demand for this subject was supposedly rather large last time, I doubt they would be able to cancel it.

Maybe your email wasnt the only one about the subject!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)