• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

legal/economics/physics! (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
the year 11 subject choices starting soon..
here are my list:
english 3u
maths 4u
japanese continuers 2u [may add extension]
physics 2u
economics 2u
physics 2u
= 15 units..

OVER THE MAX. OF 14 UNITS..

can anyone give some suggestion on legal/economics/physics?! i still want to drop one of them..
as iRule said in #6,,14 units are still a lott..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
after all those help..
i have change my listt..
english 3u
maths ex 1+2 3u
japanese continuers 2u
physics 2u
economics 2u
legal studies 2u
= 14u..

however,, i still want to drop one between physics/economics/legal studies..?
can anyone give me more advise?!

and also a new question..?!
does anyone know about japanese extension or any language extension..?!
is it much harder than beginners/continuers?!

Last edited:

swathard

HSC
here are my list:
english 3u
maths 4u
physics 2u
economics 2u
physics 2u
= 15 units..

can anyone give some suggestion on legal/economics/physics?! i can only choose two.. can anyone help me?
did you mean LEGAL 2u? you repeated physics twice, I just assumed it meant legal.

well, in terms of which ones you should select.. there are a number of ways you could look at it:

if you're looking at it from a scaling point of view, then physics and economics have the best scaling out of the three you've mentioned. legal doesnt scale particularly well.

you should also think about it from the point of view of what your future career choice will be, or what you have a strong interest in. if youre looking to follow a path in something science-related, then physics is a worthwhile option. if you're looking to follow something in the business world, then economics is probably the best option. as for legal, it doesnt help so much for you if you want to get into law, i dont know what it would be useful for haha.

another viewpoint from which you should examine the issue is the content of each subject. have you looked at the syllabuses of each of the subjects? what interests you? what seems boring? syllabuses are a great way to get a feel for what the subject is about without actually doing the subject.

i can give you some insight into economics and legal studies, since I do both of those. economics in year 11 is about building a sound basis for year 12 in terms of introducing various concepts and ideas. you learn about the problems of choice in an economy, how economies operate, you do a case study for a country other than australia in many schools, you learn about the role of consumers and businesses in the economy and also about supply/demand, as well as various other things to do with the economy like government intervention, the market etc. In year 12, from what I hear, the course becomes more Australia-based, and you focus on Australia's role in the global economy, with particular emphasis on current economic issues.

for legal studies, the year 11 course introduces all these notions to do with the law, including justice, equality, fairness, anarchy, as well as the constitution and how it works. it is all about the legal system and how it operates, and there is also some focus on disadvantaged groups and how they can access the law and how the law affects them and their lives. in year 12, i hear the course becomes FAR MORE interesting, and you actually examine practical parts of the law with particular focus studies on area of law, such as family, workplace, consumers etc.

i can't really give you much information about what physics entails, perhaps someone else here can fill in that gap.

personally, I find economics more interesting than legal studies at the moment, things may change in year 12. economics is the most difficult of all the social sciences. If youre a bit worried about that, you may want to choose business studies, because although it is a heavy-content subject, some bits are more common sense than economics and you may do better there.

so in concluding, consider your interests, future career options, the likely content of each subject and if and ONLY if you still cannot decide, consider the scaling of the subjects you want to choose from.

good luck, I hope you enjoyed reading my rather exhaustive post, haha.

swathard

HSC
yeah, that's right. sorry, I didn't notice the 4u maths option. but he may want to keep 13 units for year 12? lol.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
here are my list:
english 3u
maths 4u
physics 2u
economics 2u
physics 2u
= 15 units..

can anyone give some suggestion on legal/economics/physics?! i can only choose two.. can anyone help me?
Subjects are alrite, 4u maths comes in year 12, same with jap extension (I think, I dont do jap)

Mine are

3u Maths, 2u English adv., Physics, Chem, Eco & Business Studies

Year 12: 4u Maths 2u English Adv., Physics, Chem & Eco (or might drop one of these for 10 units depends)

So ur fine with ur subjects, btw, 14 units is a lot, so just try and take it easy

LordPc

HSC
your fine. cant do 4u math till year 12.

so you can do your 14 units this year and drop what you dont like in year 12. if you find out that legal or physics isnt to your liking, the you can drop it next year. but for now you seem fine

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Subjects are alrite, 4u maths comes in year 12, same with jap extension (I think, I dont do jap)

Mine are

3u Maths, 2u English adv., Physics, Chem, Eco & Business Studies

Year 12: 4u Maths 2u English Adv., Physics, Chem & Eco (or might drop one of these for 10 units depends)

So ur fine with ur subjects, btw, 14 units is a lot, so just try and take it easy
correct. extension languages are generally only done in year 12.

muzeikchun852

HSC
回覆: Re: legal/economics/physics!

did you mean LEGAL 2u? you repeated physics twice, I just assumed it meant legal.

well, in terms of which ones you should select.. there are a number of ways you could look at it:

if you're looking at it from a scaling point of view, then physics and economics have the best scaling out of the three you've mentioned. legal doesnt scale particularly well.

you should also think about it from the point of view of what your future career choice will be, or what you have a strong interest in. if youre looking to follow a path in something science-related, then physics is a worthwhile option. if you're looking to follow something in the business world, then economics is probably the best option. as for legal, it doesnt help so much for you if you want to get into law, i dont know what it would be useful for haha.

another viewpoint from which you should examine the issue is the content of each subject. have you looked at the syllabuses of each of the subjects? what interests you? what seems boring? syllabuses are a great way to get a feel for what the subject is about without actually doing the subject.

i can give you some insight into economics and legal studies, since I do both of those. economics in year 11 is about building a sound basis for year 12 in terms of introducing various concepts and ideas. you learn about the problems of choice in an economy, how economies operate, you do a case study for a country other than australia in many schools, you learn about the role of consumers and businesses in the economy and also about supply/demand, as well as various other things to do with the economy like government intervention, the market etc. In year 12, from what I hear, the course becomes more Australia-based, and you focus on Australia's role in the global economy, with particular emphasis on current economic issues.

for legal studies, the year 11 course introduces all these notions to do with the law, including justice, equality, fairness, anarchy, as well as the constitution and how it works. it is all about the legal system and how it operates, and there is also some focus on disadvantaged groups and how they can access the law and how the law affects them and their lives. in year 12, i hear the course becomes FAR MORE interesting, and you actually examine practical parts of the law with particular focus studies on area of law, such as family, workplace, consumers etc.

i can't really give you much information about what physics entails, perhaps someone else here can fill in that gap.

personally, I find economics more interesting than legal studies at the moment, things may change in year 12. economics is the most difficult of all the social sciences. If youre a bit worried about that, you may want to choose business studies, because although it is a heavy-content subject, some bits are more common sense than economics and you may do better there.

so in concluding, consider your interests, future career options, the likely content of each subject and if and ONLY if you still cannot decide, consider the scaling of the subjects you want to choose from.

good luck, I hope you enjoyed reading my rather exhaustive post, haha.
great amount of info..
thankss..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)