• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ling Research Participation (1 Viewer)

ALLLICE

HSC
For Ling 109 I get to do research participation as part of my assessment (participating counts for 5% of my mark :))....so just out of curiosity what kind of things do they test u on?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Psy 104 and 105 students have to do this for similar proportions of their marks, too. I was hooked up to a virtual reality machine and told to walk across a room, on a collision course with a (virtual) person waking toward me... Lots of fun! :D That was one of the more interesting ones, anyway! Generally, they tended to involve filling out a fair few questionnaires about you and your life for the 4th year honours/postgrad/research students.

...however, this might be different for you, given that's for psych. Dont' know if the ling and psych studnets are all in the same system, or whether they're separate.

If they're separate, you'd presumably be exposed to more ling-y experiments ...but I haven't got any examples to help you out with, though! (And, on that note, would love to hear what they do, if you are!)...

Last edited:

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
Well, i did an experiment for ling210 early in the semester with Felicity Cox and she got us to read a list of random words for her research project on Australian pronunciation. I also did one for ling214 last year in which you had to sit at a computer and look at random words quickly flashing across the screen and you had to guess what the words on the screen were.

Intervene

HSC
Haha i did 3 of these things last yr for 109/110/120... Man were they boring.. One of Robert's tests i think, was for you to write out what you think you heard, whilst he gives you a list of words which they could possibly be.. they also got gradually harder to hear/interpret..

The sucky thing was that they didn't give you the results =P.. The Psych research participation is much different though, where you're expected to do 4hours i think, of research participation =(

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
^^^^ ha ha, Robert's my tutor and he's awesome! We recieved a link where we could see the results of the study, but the link didn't work :( anyway, my experiment with Felicity Cox was a little hard - we had to read out words that didn't even exist in the English language and we had to constantly pause the recording so they could help me pronounce the words properly. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)