• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Linux Workshop at Wollongong Uni (1 Viewer)

ziggyboy

HSC
There will be a 1 day Linux Workshop at the University of Wollongong campus on Saturday, the 25th of September. The event will be run by the SITACS Students Society and the Sydney Linux Users Group. Entrance is $5 with pizza and coke lunch. Wollongong Uni is situated about 10 mins from the North Wollongong station, about 90 mins by train and a bit less by car from Sydney.

More information about the talks can be found here:

http://www.slug.org.au/events/detail.html?id=167

The event is open for participants and volunteers. More experienced users can go around answering questions and helping participants who will be bringing their machines to uni.

Should you need assistance in directions you can send me an email at cs83@uow.edu.au

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
ziggyboy said:
There will be a 1 day Linux Workshop at the University of Wollongong campus on Saturday, the 25th of September. The event will be run by the SITACS Students Society and the Sydney Linux Users Group. Entrance is $5 with pizza and coke lunch. Wollongong Uni is situated about 10 mins from the North Wollongong station, about 90 mins by train and a bit less by car from Sydney.

More information about the talks can be found here:

http://www.slug.org.au/events/detail.html?id=167

The event is open for participants and volunteers. More experienced users can go around answering questions and helping participants who will be bringing their machines to uni.

Should you need assistance in directions you can send me an email at cs83@uow.edu.au
I had better see some of you there. A lot of you.

*peers at ogmzergrush*

neuro_logik

HSC
I'd go... if only I lived in wollongong, had my p's or if the rail system improved god damn city rail... but thats another story

HSC
Haha, yeah tim, right on :) I'm going to skip going home for the first weekend of my midsession break, to sit around at uni, and a linux workshop at that? :)

I've got google, once the motivation to bother comes along, that's all I need :)

ziggyboy

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
hmm... i dislike linux :p

I prefer to nurture windows xp to a usable condition
But Windows does not have much academic value to engineering/compsci students. Linux has a very rich history with it being a UNIX-based system. The history of of UNIX is all about engineering and computer science. It was a system built by scientists FOR scientists. It's just recently that UNIX has been brought to the average Joe in the form of Linux, BSD and Mac OS X.

HSC
On the other hand though, the practicality of working with MS based products, as opposed to academic Unix knowledge, could prove advantageous, though let's not go there, I guess it comes down to an individual's priorities in learning to work with something, and what they'd like to get out of said knowledge :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
On the other hand though, the practicality of working with MS based products, as opposed to academic Unix knowledge, could prove advantageous, though let's not go there, I guess it comes down to an individual's priorities in learning to work with something, and what they'd like to get out of said knowledge :)
Most Linux people know enough about XP. It's not about forgetting about Windows rather than expanding on knowledge.

Most Linux people could get a job using MS VS.NET as well as xemacs or vim. :)

It also comes down to choice. While there are the major "OGM YOU USE TEH WINDOWS YOU WILL BURN IN TEH FIREY DUNGEONS OF HELL!" people, there are also the "WTF WHY WOULD YOU USE TEH LINNNNNNUX FOR? YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON!!!!" people.

A lot of us are more on the side of "I use what I use." Excpet when it comes to getting marks. To appease SITACS, and out of personal taste, we use *nix based systems. :)

Anyway, it's twenty-five past seven, and I had better go to catch a bus so I can go home and have some food (haven't eaten since 10:00 this morning).

HSC
Haha gmraso :)

and lol tim, interesting :) I wasn't specifically talking about 'microsoft people' vs 'linux people', but you make a valid point :)

What I was alluding to (in my own vague, special, and probably misleading way) was the number of people who seem to have degrees remarkably similar to mine (well, the one which I will have, circumstances allowing, in about two years), who complain about how difficult finding jobs is, for the simple reason that lots of employers are looking for things like experience with vs.net and whatever else, while all their university degree has armed them with is a 'scientist's' understanding of unix based systems :)

I'm sure on the other hand lots of people go on to get wonderful jobs with such knowledge as a foundation, and I'm sure that the people who complain about the issue are (hopefully) in the minority, but still, the fact that they exist is a little disconcerting, at least from where I stand :)

I can see advantages in experience with both, don't get me wrong, and I certainly didn't mean to trigger an(other) OS Jihad, my initial post was only intended to point out that it's not like there are no advantages in working with MS platforms :)

Ninga

HSC
I'd go if i didnt have to go to work on the weekend/saturday. Looks good. I need to learn some programming shit poo.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Haha gmraso :)

and lol tim, interesting :) I wasn't specifically talking about 'microsoft people' vs 'linux people', but you make a valid point :)

What I was alluding to (in my own vague, special, and probably misleading way) was the number of people who seem to have degrees remarkably similar to mine (well, the one which I will have, circumstances allowing, in about two years), who complain about how difficult finding jobs is, for the simple reason that lots of employers are looking for things like experience with vs.net and whatever else, while all their university degree has armed them with is a 'scientist's' understanding of unix based systems :)

I'm sure on the other hand lots of people go on to get wonderful jobs with such knowledge as a foundation, and I'm sure that the people who complain about the issue are (hopefully) in the minority, but still, the fact that they exist is a little disconcerting, at least from where I stand :)

I can see advantages in experience with both, don't get me wrong, and I certainly didn't mean to trigger an(other) OS Jihad, my initial post was only intended to point out that it's not like there are no advantages in working with MS platforms :)
I see where you're coming from. As I said though, most Linux people came from Windows, and while some have blue balls for getting rid of Windows, others (sometimes begrudgingly) realise the importance of Microsoft applications (and agreeing with what you said, particularly, MS VS.NET).

ziggyboy

HSC
ogmzergrush said:
my initial post was only intended to point out that it's not like there are no advantages in working with MS platforms :)
Of course not. Working with MS platforms is INEVITABLE. It's like a fucking nightmare you want to get out of but can't. So whether or not scientists would like to use UNIX 24/7, they simply CAN'T. Windows is everywhere.

ogmzergrush said:
On the other hand, there are jobs that require UNIX experience where Winblows users have no chance getting. Learning Windows is easy for a UNIX user but not the other way around. :uhhuh:

HSC
ziggyboy said:
On the other hand, there are jobs that require UNIX experience where Winblows users have no chance getting.
I'll be damned, two sides to the coin! :)

ziggyboy said:
Learning Windows is easy for a UNIX user but not the other way around. :uhhuh:
Very true, I think I'd be much more receptive if I wasn't already well-used to the conveniences of MS gear. I do ok, but a lot of it still seems to be more effort than I can be bothered with, at this stage at least. Still, in the end I'll win out, with the assistance of spare time, google, and a healthy bladder :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ziggyboy said:
Of course not. Working with MS platforms is INEVITABLE. It's like a fucking nightmare you want to get out of but can't. So whether or not scientists would like to use UNIX 24/7, they simply CAN'T. Windows is everywhere.

On the other hand, there are jobs that require UNIX experience where Winblows users have no chance getting. Learning Windows is easy for a UNIX user but not the other way around. :uhhuh:
i disagree, it is equally dificult to understand either O/S in depth

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
i disagree, it is equally dificult to understand either O/S in depth
I'll disagree with that.

The idea of Windows, is to make harder tasks simple. Since Linuces are unorganised, and normally run by a bunch of hackers, as opposed to full fleged software developers, people in the Linux envrionment are often left with a more difficult (yet efficient) way of doing things. It is often up to the user to make a task easier.

So, I disagree with you because I think that MS are making Windows to make life easier, and eliminate fiendishly difficult tasks. While some Linuces are doing the same thing, it's much harder than people think.

HSC
I agree with you Tim, after all, difficult and efficient are synonyms :)

That said however, it's true that Windows does aim to make things simple, but it's far from the 'OMG PLAYSKOOL MY FIRST OS' label that it sometimes seems to get stuck with. There is fair potential for (Whatever) if you care to look under the hood, obviously not to the same extent as most linux distros, but there nonetheless :)

Of course I acknowledge the tradeoff between offering a user-friendly environment and giving the user full control, and it's very evident where Microsoft products stand in relation to this, but I still don't feel that it's quite as simplistic as seems to be the assertion.

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
I agree with you Tim, after all, difficult and efficient are synonyms :)

That said however, it's true that Windows does aim to make things simple, but it's far from the 'OMG PLAYSKOOL MY FIRST OS' label that it sometimes seems to get stuck with. There is fair potential for (Whatever) if you care to look under the hood, obviously not to the same extent as most linux distros, but there nonetheless :)

Of course I acknowledge the tradeoff between offering a user-friendly environment and giving the user full control, and it's very evident where Microsoft products stand in relation to this, but I still don't feel that it's quite as simplistic as seems to be the assertion.
It isn't as simple. But it aims to be.

It is a lot of childrens' first OS. They need to be able to use windows to play their computer games (as do we, the older generation).

I never said efficient and difficult were synonyms. :| I said that although the linux ways were difficult, they were efficient [on system resources]. Obviously something that is hard to do isn't going to get done fast. That's where Windows is efficient. Though it does eat up system resources making it less efficient on those, Windows allows people to do simple and difficult tasks at the click of a mouse button, which makes it more efficient time-wise. Why do you think Windows is the most widely used operating system? Because Bill Gates is holding a gun to our heads? No. Because Windows allows us to easily do what we want.

Now that Apple has released MacOS X, you've seen the efficiency of both worlds collide. You have the efficiency of the use of a point and click GUI and a [pseudo] familiar environment, with the efficiency of being based on FreeBSD, a very system friendly operating system. Maybe the tables will turn. I don't know about you, but I've noticed a fair few people making the switch to Apple. Hell, I want to buy an ibook/powerbook.

HSC
lol Tim, I agree completely, my joke may have suggested otherwise, but you make a good point. And yeah, sadly an apple system is looking increasingly beneficial from a productivity perspective, though I don't think I'd ever switch over completely for games, etc. :)

ziggyboy said:
them's fightin words! If that's a special way of commenting that thread is rather off topic, I apologise if my shenanigans have caused you significant distress. In an effort to return to the topic, how did the linux workshop yesterday go (for anyone who did attend)?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)