• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

losing weight at GYM? (2 Viewers)

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i joined my local gym about a month ago. its pretty good. $8.25 a week no matter how many times you visit. some advice: THE SLOWER YOU GO, THE MORE FAT YOU BURN/MUSCLE YOU BUILD.

dont just hop on the treadmill and run full pelt like nothing! get on and 'warm up' and dont go faster than a slow jog, it will burn more fat! any faster and your doing a cardio workout... which i dont think is what you want.

and with weights, do 3 lots of 10, with 30 second gaps in between each set of 10, on all the weight machines.

fast music helps heaps too. if the gym doesnt play it, bring along your discman or whatever

jezmarelda

HSC
ud do more good by just avoiding all the junk food first and foremost, rather than going to the gym. whats the point of burning off all the crap u ate in the day and running on the treadmill, when u can just NOT eat the food in the first place.

btw do those weight watchers programs really work? it all sounds a bit dodge.

Amryllis

HSC
Not eating junk food is one thing, but everyone needs exercise. Even if you're really good and never touch junk, you won't get fit. The only way to get fit is by exercising. And there are other heaps more fun alternatives if you don't like going to the gym e.g. dancing! :D

It's better to have junk food in moderation with regular exercise to work it off plus get toned, than just not having either.

I think those Weight Watchers programs probably do work because they teach you to eat healthily, which benefits you in the long term, rather than to cut out some foods completely. ;)

jezmarelda

HSC
Amryllis said:
Not eating junk food is one thing, but everyone needs exercise. Even if you're really good and never touch junk, you won't get fit. The only way to get fit is by exercising. And there are other heaps more fun alternatives if you don't like going to the gym e.g. dancing! :D

It's better to have junk food in moderation with regular exercise to work it off plus get toned, than just not having either.

I think those Weight Watchers programs probably do work because they teach you to eat healthily, which benefits you in the long term, rather than to cut out some foods completely. ;)

yyEHH!! sports are better than the gym! weight watchers ... have u seen the ads, how they persuade u to pay for healthy food. i dont get how weight watchers work. is it like a meals on wheels thing? or do they just mail u brochures periodically and encourage you to eat healthy foods?

Amryllis

HSC
I guess Weight Watchers is kinda similar to meals on wheels... They deliver the food to your door or something. Although I'd rather find a cheaper way of learning how to eat healthily and do it myself rather than get my meals prepared all the time.

Healthy diet and exercise is the way to go! :)

I love dancing! :D

wanton-wonton

HSC
69^boi said:
hi ppl i was just wondering wot gym is like, is it really good?
ok i break it to you straight:

well, you see im a pretty fat bastard and after the hsc i wanna lose all those fat
of my thighs, ass, tummi and chest(manboobs) oh yea and i cut out damm fuken junk foods like krispykreme, marebars, doritos, &maccas

whch gym do you go?? does it cost alot?

Much appreciated
Gym - 1. Weight gain and 2. Weight loss.

If you want to loose weight, you're better off doing the cardio exercises (such as treadmill) rather than weights. Weights help you gain weight.

But really, you wouldn't want to spend money to loose weight at the gym when you can be skipping/running outside.

Pepani

Jixxt Designer
HSC
The gym is definately the place to be to loose the weight. Gives u a focussed frame of mind (u see all these other pplz working hard out... pushes you further).

So yeah.. the money is CERTAINLY worth it.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
weight watchers is not meals on wheels, you guys are thinking of jenny craig...

weight watchers is a program which teaches you what is healthy and what is not (it's a lot cheaper than jenny craig) .... weight watchers has a points system, in which you are allocated a certain amount of points. Every food has a certain number of points depending on fat, carbs etc, eg slice of white bread 4 points, slice of wholemeal bread 1 point.
And doing points your adds more points to your system.

When i did it (ages ago, i just copied my cousin's program) i ate MORE than i did before, just healthier, i was never starving on this program and this is going to sound unbelievable but i lost 3kgs the first week of doing this.

The program is awsome, you learn heaps... your even allowed to goto maccas, kfc blah blah as long as you have enough points which i did at the end of the week and yeahh it's pretty good

Amryllis

HSC
Wow~ That sounds awesome. So people pay the money to get a program that's suited to them right? Or is it just a general program that everyone can follow?

How 'bout a few tips? :D I wouldn't mind losing a few kilos myself...

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
yeah i did weight watches last year as well and it is nothing like meals-on-wheels and is not a rip off.. they don't simply send you a broucher.
i lost 13 kg whist i was there and lost another 5 since leaving
they don't just give you the food to eat you still have choices.
and they teach you that you have to exercise to loose weight
and if you exercise you get more points... even if it is just housework
they teach you to change you habits rather then going on a diet
you can eat anything you want .. if i wanted chocolate i had it.
the meeting that you go to to get weighed at,
they teach you extra things and give you support and motivate you to keep loosing.
but yes gym is good... but do both cardio and weights...
and in the begining focus more on cardio to lose the weight

RIZAL

HSC
69^boi said:
hi ppl i was just wondering wot gym is like, is it really good?
ok i break it to you straight:

well, you see im a pretty fat bastard and after the hsc i wanna lose all those fat
of my thighs, ass, tummi and chest(manboobs) oh yea and i cut out damm fuken junk foods like krispykreme, marebars, doritos, &maccas

whch gym do you go?? does it cost alot?

Much appreciated

I would recommend that you get into cardio training first and lose a lot of fat. Treadmill or go for a run for 1/2 hour every morning. No more junk food. You should see results within 2 weeks.

Once you're down to normal weight and you wanna get ripped, start a weight training program. Something like:

Monday: biceps
Tuesday: shoulders
Wed: Legs
Thursday: chest
Friday: rest
Saturday: 1/2 hour run.
Sunday: rest.

This is my daily program:

Wake up, gym for 1.5 hours.

after workout: Cereal + protein powder shake.

2 hours later: piece of chicken or something similar.

2 hours later: Tuna + lunch + Protein powder

2 hours later: piece of chicken or something similar.

2 hours later: Dinner + slow release protein bar

The idea is to bulk up first - weight training and eating a lot of food...you will build muscle and overall bulk. Once you hit a 'plateau' you should cut the fat by doing intense cardio...

hope this helps.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Amryllis said:
Wow~ That sounds awesome. So people pay the money to get a program that's suited to them right? Or is it just a general program that everyone can follow?

How 'bout a few tips? :D I wouldn't mind losing a few kilos myself...

well yeahh it just depends on your weight, but i think nowdays they're going by your body mass index ... hrrmm it might be still weight,... anyway from what i can remember if your over 90kg u get 25 points and the more u weigh the more points you have... but if your a chick and your around 65-85kg you get 20 points... under that i think its 18

yeahh it's awsome, it changes your whole perspective on life and food... you learnnn heapss... and yeah the guy that posted below, you can add more points if you excercise or do housework and you can eat what you want to eat, just make sure you don't go over or if you do, go excercise to bring it back down to limits

i was full all the time as well, except on the days when i tried to live on 14 points a day (which is bad lol i know that now), i applaud weight watchers because it focus's on your lifestyle as well as your diet, whereas jenny craig just hand you expensive diet food everyday... i know some people who have done jenny craig, lost weight and then gained it all back and more, once they went off jenny craig's food. Weight watcher "graduates" usually don't put it back on because they're not dependent on their food the program helps them deal in the "real world"

because they've even allocated points on take out food like maccas,kfc... i think some of the food there was like 15 points :S:S but yeahh some is pretty low

Amryllis

HSC
That sounds pretty comprehensive... How many extra points do you get from doing housework and other activites? And also what are the low point foods so I know what I can eat more of. How many points are take away foods?

Is there a guide to how often you should eat or what's the best time for certain foods? I heard that it's better to eat smaller proportions more often than having big meals less frequently.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
i go to "curves" its a chic gym and its just a1/2 hr workout 3 times a week i love it. since going my BMI and my total body fat % have both dropped and i have found muscles in my body!!!!

just doin the gym bit and still eating feral is OK ahaha becos at least ur gettin ur excersise but it is better to gym it and eat healthy.

alien

HSC
go to all the classes- they're really fun and you don't have to push yourself so much to work out, the trainer person pushes you. or you could get a personal trainer, they're really good cos they'll give you exercises that cater for your specific needs

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
just don't overdo it and injure yourself

a few months ago i got tennis elbow by exercising too much

alien

HSC
Kazuya said:
just don't overdo it and injure yourself

a few months ago i got tennis elbow by exercising too much
lol yeah that's true. make sure you buy good runners first so you don't get shin splints on the treadmill. injury slows you down BIG.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
losing weight is nearly impossible unless u work urself out to the max like that TV show,

but if u go gym, u can build bulk and not get fatter = )

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Firstly cut all unhealthy food from your diet.

Secondly if you are going to be working out increase (unless it's already huge) of protein (to build muscle), simple carbs (for short burn energy prior to a workout), complex carbs for long burn energy.

As far as the workout to build fitness and tone you need to do cardio eg running, circuit training, low weight high rep workouts, to build muscle weights, lots of weights, heavy weights.

Importantly you must maintain correct form in all exercises to prevent injury.

You must maintain variety. To start out work-out generally say 3-4 exercises per area eg you would do 3-4 different exercises (of say 3 sets of 10 reps) for each arms, chest, back, abs, legs.

Later (if you have the time) change to working out one or two parts of your body a day and alternate these days with cardio days eg Monday do arms, Tuesday ride, Wednesday chest, Thursday swim etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)