• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Low averages for english exam (1 Viewer)

IceBreaker

HSC
does anyone think their school is going to get low averages for english? i dont know about mine yet, but for yr11 went crap

100percent

HSC
IceBreaker said:
does anyone think their school is going to get low averages for english? i dont know about mine yet, but for yr11 went crap
off course, 12 people in advanced, 5 full classes of standard. school rank 497. looking at it statastically. yes for bonnyrigg

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
don't go having a hem. at my school we have 1 advanced class of 22, and the others left in that 140 students do either esl or standard!

and we were ranked at 194 in '04. in our 2nd assessment, they were so harsh?! the highest in advanced was like 15/20, i got 14/20 :D. now that seriously is harsh marking when we all did relatively well?!

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
i counted THREE band 6's in adv eng from my school in 2004. THREE. out of at least 100 people.

my future certainly doesn't look very bright *glances at own ranking*

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
well in year 11.... 1 person from 70-something standard english students, passed their exit exams.. in adv? 6 people passed out of 22.

so yes.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
that is so similar to our school!

however, our failed my advanced exam and passed my extension one. but i was testing what works and what doesn't at the time. well since i have failed, i know it does'nt work.

@ melon: i don't think anyone from last year's hsc even got a band 6 in english.

fakingtheday

HSC
Last year for year 12 the highest was 89, she was pretty good at english too. In year 11 i pulled an 87 in year 11 with practically no work. I think its just whether yuo get lucky on the day or not.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
lol... we did particuly well 4 our skool considering we r a maths skool... we got 4 band 6 from maby 45 kids. 1 guy got 98... wow, other were 92, 91 and i dunno the last mark.
this year my teacher thinks we can get 7-8, i dont know how serious she is, but i know that i have improved from a 60z english student (mind u i did no wrk) to a band 5 student possible band 6

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
the other day my adv english teacher told our class that 3/4 of our class wont get above band 3-4... :(

Cab31

HSC
Jeez your teacher is nice! Nah, they are probably just saying that to motivate you. The average mark in Advanced english is around the 80 mark - with most people falling between 70 and 90. So really work hard at it and prove your teacher wrong!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
it is not a natural ability!! i was shithouse in year 9, then in year 10 i was one of the top students for english. in year 11, i was shit again. now i'm good again, but it is a question of how long...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
wrong_turn said:
it is not a natural ability!! i was shithouse in year 9, then in year 10 i was one of the top students for english. in year 11, i was shit again. now i'm good again, but it is a question of how long...
I'm the oposite of u pantz boy...i was topz in yr 9-10 now i am to quote mike moore "Shithouse"

Cab31

HSC
You can improve your english for the HSC because of the post modernistic style of the course. A lot of this course can be superficially learnt - and because we only have 40 minutes to answer the question, you can make your answer appear as though you are knowledgable with superficial ideas of what things like marxism and existentialism are. In actual fact, the board has really screwed themselves up in this regard. But beware of the superficial learning track....if last years Lear question was anything to go by, they are waking up to the disater they have created in this course and requiring you t form your own opinions about texts - the way it used to be!~

IceBreaker

HSC
if you have examine the english syllabus, it does in anyway way state specific knowledge of outcome to be achieved, rather it states the skills outcomes(which I find it complicated to understand) for students to understand how the relationship and opininion of text are represented in different way and how it links with other contexts.,This is what makes it difficult to understand & study english!!. To be honest i put the least effort in english like many other students, hence why students that enjoy english can further independly learn themselves and write great essay as long they clearly express their opinion backed up with evidence.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)