• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

maaths question...dont get it (1 Viewer)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
q5 2004 hsc, part (iii)

Clair is learning to drive. Her first lesson is 30 min long. Her second lesson is 35 min long. each subsequent lesson is 5 min longer than the lesson before.

iii - during which lesson will clair have completed a total of 50hours of driving lesson..?

now me and my book both agree on the answer by decimal, which is:

n = 29.5749.......

But then the book goes:
clare completes 50 hours of lessons during her 30th lesson.

Wouldn't it actually be during her 29th lesson? Wouldn't the decimals just represent the minutes, milliseconds, etc? Then it should be that during her 29th lesson, the actual 50 hours of lessons is achieved, whereas during her 30th, it would have been more than 50 hours, right?

My book also disagrees with me in the app. of .calc. sections of hsc past papers (this book is success one HSC btw)
- the year in which the population will reach 30 million, the answer says 45.433....
then the book goes 'the answer = 46th year'
But wouldn't the population actually have reached 30 million in THAT 45th year?

Yep, just need help on this, don't want to get it wrong in the HSC if it comes up you know. :)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
lol yea thanks m8, sorri bout b4.

take it easy, aye?

live.fast

HSC
N/A
hey, you noe when ur curve sketchin and all, and ya find a point of inflection...i mean f''x = 0, do you have to determine it's type? Or just say 'its a point of inflection' ?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
What you can't get away with is stating an inflexion point is such and such but not proving it is thus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)