• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

mac or pc (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Customisation for both platforms is on par with each other.
ehh, macs are pretty picky about RAM, that's why some places sell 'apple specific' ram

if you run out to msy and get 'normal' ram chips then chances are, your mac would crash

-----

but a couple of pc laptops are like that too e.g. my netbook

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
ehh, macs are pretty picky about RAM, that's why some places sell 'apple specific' ram

if you run out to msy and get 'normal' ram chips then chances are, your mac would crash

-----

but a couple of pc laptops are like that too e.g. my netbook
I never had that problem myself (2009 MBP) - But I did hear that Kingston RAM was the best for Mac. No idea why.

My sister's netbook is like that as well, but it was causing all sorts of non-sensical issues, not just crashing lol.

HSC
Uni Grad
PC is best for every-day use, and for the average student that isn't going to be doing so much heavy work, PC is cheaper and better for that use. Just make sure you MAINTAIN the OS. The amount of times I've heard of someone breaking their computer's OS through no maintenance... They expect to just keep piling in more and more, screwing the registry etc. by never uninstalling things properly - never performing the basic CleanUp or defrag or anything. No... Just. No.

"Oh, my computer's getting slow! Oh, I've got so many games I don't play anymore... Never mind, it'll fix itself - now lets go install Crysis!!!!!!!!" - NO.
actually it's called installing linux :)

Not many people actually use a computer to it's full potential,
not many ppl install linux

even if they think they do - they just don't. If you're not going to need to put a Mac through it's paces (which when you do, they tend to perform much better than a Windows based machine) - don't get one. You'll look like a pretentious douchebag.
umm macs are beautifully designed machines and are perfectly suited to non-media applications

I can't get used to not having the Mac TrackPad though. After using it for a while, it's a bitch to go back to a point-click interface without 'gestures'.

Now, give us something to go on. What will you mainly be doing on the computer?

Word processing, Facebook and music? Is that it? Get a PC and save yourself up to or even over $3,000.
there's nothing wrong with word processing, facebook and music. macs aren't designed specifically for professionals, they are aimed at a general target audience

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
actually it's called installing linux :)

not many ppl install linux

umm macs are beautifully designed machines and are perfectly suited to non-media applications

there's nothing wrong with word processing, facebook and music. macs aren't designed specifically for professionals, they are aimed at a general target audience
I should have clarified better lol. FIX!

MBP's I believe should best be used if as a workhorse, media centre etc. MacBooks are better suited for everyday use - but a PC does it cheaper (I agree about build quality etc. of Macs - but truthfully, not many people do and would opt for cheaper). But that's just my opinion :).

HSC
Uni Grad
i'd still say mbp > macbook even for everyday use,

the basic mbp is $200 more than basic macbook but has aluminium unibody (vs plastic), core i5 (vs old core 2 duo), 4gb ram (vs 2gb)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
i'd still say mbp > macbook even for everyday use,

the basic mbp is $200 more than basic macbook but has aluminium unibody (vs plastic), core i5 (vs old core 2 duo), 4gb ram (vs 2gb)
Touche.

Well, personally I can't stand anything with a 13" screen anyway lol.

benji_10

HSC
There's some really good stuff going on for windows laptops right now. A sale was on for Hp and I got a dv6 laptop for ~$1200, but the specs were quite an improvement from mbp. i7, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive, blu-ray and discrete graphics. I guess if you're on a budget then you'd want to get the most out of your money, and windows is the way to go in that case. In Apple's case you're really paying for the glowing apple rather than the actual hardware. The premium is ridiculous, but as others pointed out, it does have great battery and build quality.
If you're a student, you won't need mbp or even a mb. A windows laptop will do, as all you're going to be doing is word processing and the internetz. If you're doing more, then you're not in year 11. Hell, even a netbook would suffice all of a students' needs.

As for recommendations, I'd go for something from Lenovo. They make good laptops with great value to my knowledge, and a lot of products are sub-$1000. They also supplied the netboooks for NSW junior students, and my brother's laptop is still in one piece after 2 years of abuse, so I'd say great build quality as well. Disadvantage is that they look utilitarian.
Hp is like the apple of windows. They look great, and you'll be paying for that as well, but not as much as you will be for apple. I wouldn't have bought mine if it wasn't on sale.

Last edited:

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
There's some really good stuff going on for windows laptops right now. A sale was on for Hp and I got a dv6 laptop for ~$1200, but the specs were quite an improvement from mbp. i7, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive, blu-ray and discrete graphics. I guess if you're on a budget then you'd want to get the most out of your money, and windows is the way to go in that case. In Apple's case you're really paying for the glowing apple rather than the actual hardware. The premium is ridiculous, but as others pointed out, it does have great battery and build quality.
If you're a student, you won't need mbp or even a mb. A windows laptop will do, as all you're going to be doing is word processing and the internetz. If you're doing more, then you're not in year 11. Hell, even a netbook would suffice all of a students' needs.

As for recommendations, I'd go for something from Lenovo. They make good laptops with great value to my knowledge, and a lot of products are sub-$1000. They also supplied the netboooks for NSW junior students, and my brother's laptop is still in one piece after 2 years of abuse, so I'd say great build quality as well. Disadvantage is that they look utilitarian.
Hp is like the apple of windows. They look great, and you'll be paying for that as well, but not as much as you will be for apple. I wouldn't have bought mine if it wasn't on sale.
Netbooks, I don't really like. But people get around with them fine.

Be aware that HP have recently had some issues with their quality control. I think they've handled it, but just be wary.

Toshiba is another great brand that's durable and well packed - NEVER go Sony Vaio if you don't want to pay a lot.

benji_10

HSC
Ahhh yes. Sony Vaio. More apple than hp is. All of them are targeted towards the more 'trendy' crowd and you can expect to pay $1000+ for all of their laptops, with middling specs for most of them. The nicest one I've seen from them was an S-series laptop which cost 2k, but had 256gb ssd in raid0. Talk about fast boot time. Please do yourself a favour and avoid them altogether.
Toshiba is a great brand as well. I have a friend who enjoys his toshiba. And netbooks aren't very useful outside the education scene (high school, uni) as they are too weak to do anything substantial, plus your image as a person who is productive, and thus employable, will probably be killed if you're lugging a netbook around. They are so small, you'll get eye and back problems trying to operate the damn thing. The only advantages of netbooks are price (looking at ~$400) and portability. Battery is a meh, in my experience, and from my brother's whinings.

HSC
Uni Grad
They are so small, you'll get eye and back problems trying to operate the damn thing.
No, pixel density is about the same as any other laptop so you won't have any trouble trying to see things. I don't understand how you could get back problems.

The only advantages of netbooks are price (looking at ~$400) and portability. Battery is a meh, in my experience, and from my brother's whinings.
Battery life is amazing, current generation dual core Intel Atoms have a built in graphics accelerator and the combined chipset idles using only ~5w.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just FYI, the "creator" of UNIX died like 2 days ago

Robert Morris, man who helped develop Unix, dies at 78

We have some somber news to bring you this morning: Robert Morris, the cryptographer who helped create Unix, has died at the age of 78. Morris began his work on the groundbreaking OS back in 1970 at AT&T's Bell Laboratories, where he played a major role in developing Unix's math library, password structure and encryption functions. His cryptographic exploration continued into the late 1970s, when he began writing a paper on an early encryption tool from Germany. But the paper would never see the light of day, thanks to a request from the NSA, which was concerned about potential security ramifications. Instead, the agency brought Morris on board as a computer security expert in 1986. Much of what he did for Uncle Sam remains classified, though he was involved in internet surveillance projects and cyber warfare -- including what might have been America's first cyberattack in 1991, when the US crippled Saddam Hussein's control capabilities during the first Gulf War. Morris stayed with the NSA until 1994, when he retired to New Hampshire. He's survived by his wife, three children and one, massive digital fingerprint.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/01/robert-morris-man-who-helped-develop-unix-dies-at-78/

HSC
Uni Grad
okay i want a new laptop too so thought i'd hijack dis thread

asus u31f - $750

-core i5 2.66 ghz
-4gb ram
-500gb hdd
-13.3", 1366x768

macbook pro - $1400

-core i5 2.3 ghz
-4gb ram
-320gb hdd
-13.3", 1280x800

both are made of aluminium
both have similar battery life
asus has better screen
asus has bigger hdd
asus has faster cpu
asus is thinner and lighter
mbp is sexier

the macbook is clearly the better laptop but i'm not sure if i can justify spending double teh monies

which one should i get?

benji_10

HSC
No contest much? You give 4 advantages over mbp, and the Asus model beats it in every aspect for half the money :p... Except Asus doesn't have a glowing picture of a half eaten fruit up front.

This just serves to prove my point that you are paying a high premium for apple stuff (in this case $750 worth).

In all seriousness, the only advantages mbp holds over the Asus model is the processor, which I think is Sandy Bridge (2415M), while the Asus one is Arrandale (460M). Feel free to verify, but the mbp processor won't show up on the i5 processor lists, only the i5 2410M (which is definitely SB). Sandy Bridge is much faster than any other architecture from Intel. And second advantage is the Thunderbolt interface, which is useful if you're an impatient kinda guy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)