• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Macquarie Physics? Is it worth its salt? (1 Viewer)

Will Hunting

HSC
Hey guys,

I just grabbed my copy of Macquarie Chem the other day and noticed, inside the cover, that they also have one for Physics in publication. If anyone's had any experience with this one at all, or has anything at all handy to tell me about it, that'd be awesome. So far, the Chem one has brought nothing but smiles to my face :). It'd be a real treat to find that the Physics was just as sweet. Look forward to replies :)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
lol.. yeh the chem Maquarie guide is awesome...

The physics one is also exceptionally good... however i find that it doesn't always cover parts of the syllabus well...(but hey that's just me)... however it's good at times when ur making ur notes on the syllabus dot points... and the module exams are top exams...

and guess what!... i had a term end examination for phys before the holidays (non-assessed).. and because it wasn't assessed i didn't bother going through maquarie.. rather decided that'll i'll go through the questions and module exams before my half yearly...(the assessed exam)

sooo... during the holiday whe i was flicking through maquarie i realised there was something familiar about the module exam... lol and to my surprise it turned out to be the exam i had just done a week ago... It was direct copy and paste...

Im so glad it wasn't assessed.... i only got 74% for the space module...

but yeh... i would reccommend bying the physics one as well... by the way do u have excell?... the module exams there r pritty neat as well....

Will Hunting

HSC
Thanks heaps, champ!

Lol, tough break with missing that practice exam before your term end! Maybe you'll get lucky next time! ;) Still, though, it's pretty dodgy for your teacher to have pulled a cut and paste on you (or, even if it was from another source, for him to not realise it was published in some other book :p)

Good news about the Mac Physics! I'd really like to be able to browse it before I fend over any cash, but, yeah, I'm in Byron, so I'll probably need to order in to have a shot at getting my hands on it *sigh*

Yeah, dude, I use Neville Warren's Excel, too. He's clearly an accomplished teacher of Physics, so I quite enjoy it, but the text, itself, if far too brief, I think, for the depth of understanding required for the course. It's all good though, and I suppose it's better than nothing!

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Will Hunting said:
Thanks heaps, champ!

Lol, tough break with missing that practice exam before your term end! Maybe you'll get lucky next time! ;) Still, though, it's pretty dodgy for your teacher to have pulled a cut and paste on you (or, even if it was from another source, for him to not realise it was published in some other book :p)

Good news about the Mac Physics! I'd really like to be able to browse it before I fend over any cash, but, yeah, I'm in Byron, so I'll probably need to order in to have a shot at getting my hands on it *sigh*

Yeah, dude, I use Neville Warren's Excel, too. He's clearly an accomplished teacher of Physics, so I quite enjoy it, but the text, itself, if far too brief, I think, for the depth of understanding required for the course. It's all good though, and I suppose it's better than nothing!

sorry lol... i meant success... not excell.. my bad...
but i think u should try get the phys one... I don't regret bying it one bit

my teacher got the motors and generators section of my exam from excel lol.. lazy teacher.. (but i can live with it since it wasn't assessed...) got a shocking 68% for that section and lost all my marks on multiple choice (2/8 multiple choice and 100% writing and calculation section)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I've looked at both macquarie and the excel.

I think the Excel is a lot better than the macquarie in terms of explanation but just for physics.

For geography macquarie kicks excel's ass. So I don't think you can rely on the brand name/publishers for quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)