• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Making notes and doing past papers? (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Hello,

Would you say it is a bit of a waste of time making notes and rather doing past papers?

I mean i though about it, and notes is great in terms of having all your work in one sort of pile and summarised from all your other class notes, text books, etc. However it is quite time consuming even when you begin early like myself.

However past papers do have the advantage of getting used to doing exam styled questions and even practicing additional question from other mediums according to the syllabus.

I don't know if I should continue note taking? Or practicing papers is more effective? Or both?

Thoughts?

HSC
A total misconception is that you write notes to go over when you are near an exam. No, summarizing and making concise notes is what helps you prevail and understand the topic more thoroughly. You could always ho though a textbook, which is so more easier and wordy.

Atar Hater

hardout gangsta
HSC
First make sure you have a solid concept of what's being taught. For some people making/reading notes is the way to go.

Doing past papers is useless otherwise (though again some people can "learn" through doing questions)

loaves

HSC
I definitely found making notes to be helpful (and we do/did similar subjects). Because HSIE subjects tend to be so content heavy, it's good to have a concise set of notes that you can refer to, rather than having to flip through textbooks whenever you need to check something. However doing past papers is obviously super important (although I slacked off and didn't do any...). So basically - both. :)

findx

HSC
Do both. Make your notes weekly then towards the exam, read over and do practice papers.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
There's no point doing questions if you don't know what you're writing about, especially considering all your subjects are humanities/social sciences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)