• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Math 5.3 Year 10 (1 Viewer)

NavySteven

HSC
Hey guys, i'm currently in math 5.3. I used to be in math 5.2 in year 9 but the math coordinator moved me up judging me by my yearly math test. I'm currently falling behind and i'm trying my best to catch up. I have half yearly in 4 weeks and i'm trying to find a effective way to study all the units that is going to be in the test. Do any of you guys have an effective study plan or a method to improve in math? I'm hoping to do 2 unit mathematics next year.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
Hi! The only tip I can give you regarding the study of mathematics is to attempt as many questions as possible prior to an exam - try looking for challenging questions from: textbooks, past papers and worksheets. In addition - making your weak topics a focal point during studying is crucial as it will help you in mastering problem solving skills and developing alternative and more effective methods before the assessment task. I STRONGLY recommend practical study for mathematics as in my opinion - it is the most effective.
Good luck :)
Dangerouss

spatula232

HSC
Yeah do the Chapter Reviews, they're pretty good for an overall view of things. If there are certain parts you don't understand, try and find the exercises that are on that part and do them. Remember most of all your teacher is there to help, and so is everyone on BOS. Good Luck mate

matchalolz

HSC
you should definitely do lots of questions for practice - especially under exam conditions. First, try to understand all the theory and if you think you've got it, then attempt the chapter reviews. If the questions are too easy, move to the more difficult questions - do this especially if you're short on time, but if not, then doing easier questions and moving up is the best way to consolidate. While i'm doing questions, i also make a list of the really 'trippy' or 'bitchy' (hope you don't mind my language) questions to look over later on, and make little notes to myself, e.g. one mistake i always make is forgetting about how you can end up with a negative result as well as the positive one when you square root something. Take caution of these little mistakes so they don't screw you over in the exam.

also, sort of unrelated but i think puzzle games may help you develop logical thinking and be more aware of little details, maybe do that when you get bored of studying

enoilgam

HSC
Some good ideas discussed above, but you might also want to consider getting a tutor. Maths is arguably the most difficult subject to self-study for and a tutor might be able to give you the direct/instruction which you need in order to get back on track.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)