• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

MATH1002/1902 Discussion 2005 (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Zeppelin said:
Awesome. I have some free time then, and I'm meeting up witha friend (my only one so far at this uni). I'd like to meet you to, withoutaface. The more people I know, the better. I am such a loner. >_>
I'll have a scisoc shirt, red backpack, and brown hair that comes down to just above my collar.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Smartass :p

But yeah I can't see how you'd conclusively "Prove graphically" apart from starting with the assumption that the shortest way between two points is a straight line and hence the line with or without an angle in it can't get any shorter than the straight line.

Z

Zeppelin

Let's see... I'll probably be wearing a tawny Billabong shirt with dark blue jeans and a brown Billabong hat and sunnies. I'm not particulaly tall.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
laurie_field said:
Well the above is the only way i can think of to prove that assumption
True, I'll have to ask the tutor on Thursday if we're allowed to assume the triangle inequality.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I'll have a scisoc shirt, red backpack, and brown hair that comes down to just above my collar.
[were u wearing it this mornig as well?] Cuz I think I saw u this morning in my way to maths lect at wallace thtr. There was a guy with scisoc t-shit walking infront of me almost all the way to the lect thtr. But I can't remember the backpack colour and hair colour.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
baaaaahhhh i thought I understood what was going on... but then I downloaded the questions from the net and started reading the text book and now I am way confused..

is it too late to change to life sciences maths????? hahahahahaha. Band E4 (just) in ext1 maths and i have no idea already... doesn't bode well for the rest of the year

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Here's a diagram that I have drawn for |v + u| <= |v| + |u|. If we assume that vector v [line AB] stays in the same position [in actual matter it is not important. because moving vector v does not cause any distortion in the result] and vector u [line BC, BC`] changes direction any way it wants. We can see that u moves in a circle with it's tail attached to point B. It's pretty obvious that the largest sum of these two vectors is the line AC [when they both are parallel and have same direction].

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
LoneShadow said:
[were u wearing it this mornig as well?] Cuz I think I saw u this morning in my way to maths lect at wallace thtr. There was a guy with scisoc t-shit walking infront of me almost all the way to the lect thtr. But I can't remember the backpack colour and hair colour.
Nah yesterday I had something different. 'siff I'd wear a scisoc shirt if there wasn't a free bbq in it for me:D

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Nah yesterday I had something different. 'siff I'd wear a scisoc shirt if there wasn't a free bbq in it for me:D

:D .

antarctic

HSC
withoutaface said:
True, I'll have to ask the tutor on Thursday if we're allowed to assume the triangle inequality.
Hmmm, and to think I assumed that we could assume the triangle inequality... :lol:
[EDIT] Did anyone try questions 11 and 12 in section 1.6 (the ones in smaller font)?
The furthest I got with Q11 was figuring out that one to prove the result would be to show that the position vector of the intersection of the medians is 1/3(a+b+c). Is this the way to go?

Last edited:
Z

Zeppelin

So are we supposed to be working through the tutorial questions? I am incredibly stressed out already... as I have no clue in hell what the hell any of this stuff means. :(

It's our first week, and the lecturers don't give us any information on the things we should be doing to prepare. I hate uni.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
wtf are u doing questions already?
fuk this subject is way too competitive
chill out, its first year uni...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gordo said:
I know, I've only done the piss easy tutorial prep ones.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
gordo said:
hahaha I reckon... people like Zeppelin already freaking out about uni work? :eek: pfft... First week of uni isn't even finished yet. Jeez, you are going to have a major meltdown if you don't stop worrying.
First year is the time to kick back, relax, meet new people, party, drink drink drink, turn up to classes smashed/hungover.... oh yeah and do some uni work :rolleyes:.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
antarctic said:
Hmmm, and to think I assumed that we could assume the triangle inequality... :lol:
[EDIT] Did anyone try questions 11 and 12 in section 1.6 (the ones in smaller font)?
The furthest I got with Q11 was figuring out that one to prove the result would be to show that the position vector of the intersection of the medians is 1/3(a+b+c). Is this the way to go?
My proof for 12 was real dodgy, it was basically that if w=the position vector of P relative to O, and &alpha;u the position vector of Q relative to O, then &beta;v is the position vector of P relative to Q.

If &alpha; is not unique then Q is variable. If Q is variable then the slope and hence direction of &beta;v however, as it is scalar vector multiplications the slope of &beta;v is constant (as it dictates direction) &there4; &alpha; is unique. Similarly for &beta;.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
SmokedSalmon said:
hahaha I reckon... people like Zeppelin already freaking out about uni work? :eek: pfft... First week of uni isn't even finished yet. Jeez, you are going to have a major meltdown if you don't stop worrying.
First year is the time to kick back, relax, meet new people, party, drink drink drink, turn up to classes smashed/hungover.... oh yeah and do some uni work :rolleyes:.
haha
beer before 3 hour aero lab = bad
luckily today it only went for like 20 minutes

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
SmokedSalmon said:
I'll be sure to ask you for advice if I decide I ever want to scrape a Pass at university. :)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I'll be sure to ask you for advice if I decide I ever want to scrape a Pass at university. :)
Still coming to terms with the concept that pass and credit are actually possible, at least for people like you...

As for the tut problems, have only done problems that could be done mentally without committing pen to paper.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)