• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

maths ex help (1 Viewer)

other_side

HSC
Need advice/ opinions please.

Soo basically I was considering taking up MX1 but dont know if I should because of the workload and difficulty.
at the moment I am doing
3U English
Adv. Maths
bio
Chem
PDHPE
Society and Culture

So IF i picked up MX1 it would take me to 14 units- because I dont really want to drop anything right now because its only day 3 and cant decide which one I would bin. But if I wanted to do ex maths I would need to this week otherwise I would miss out on too much.

The reason I dont pick it in the first place was because I thought it was only for the op 2-3 in the year, but now people that I was beating last year are doing it and today my teacher said people in this class were cabable of doing extension.

So what am I to do?:wavey:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
First of all, a couple of questions:

1. How did you go in your School Cert for Maths? If you were getting 50s or 60s, then obviously MX1 is not for you.

2. Do you enjoy Maths?

Since you said that people you were beating are doing it this year, then that implies that you should give it a go.

Try it, and you can drop down to 2U any time you like. You never know, you could end up loving it!

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think the difficulty gap between 2U and 3U is THAT large. The gap between 3U and 4U, however...
What Carrotsticks said.

other_side

HSC
Yeah I enjoy maths, but I didnt put in much effort outside class last year but still got above average results for the top class, in S.C i got 93.

What do you think about 14 units though? I dont know if it will be too much but if I drop a 2U subject then I will be locked in to Extension

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you got 93, that shows that you are capable of doing Extension 1 Maths.

14 units should be okay.

Think about it this way:

- Tennis players practise with heavy racquets so during matches, the properly light one feels like nothing.

- Runners attach weights to their ankles when they run so during a race, they fly through it.

- Swimmers train with drag suits so during races, they glide through the water with ease.

Are you getting what I'm saying?

findx

HSC
Do it. then decide at the end of yr11 which one to drop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)