• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths Ext 1 (1 Viewer)

wmatt223

HSC
Hey guys

i'm currently doing mx1 and am not enjoying it particularly. I'm ranked about average at our school.
Would i be better dropping to Mathematics and potentially achieving a higher rank there, or staying with ext?

Thanks

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
stay with ext because it scales incredibly

i nearly dropped it because i was doing shit but i kept it and it counted toward my atar cos of scaling and without it i may not have gotten an atar over 95, hence may not have even got into my uni course :O

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you're not enjoying Maths Extension 1 - drop it. I also don't see how dropping MX1 will improve ranks in mathematics, unless you'll spend more time studying it.

However, if you want a high ATAR - like meilz said, you may want to consider keeping it as it may help you via scaling. If you want to do mathematics at university, MX1 is almost a pre-requisite of sorts or you may find your HSC Mathematics a far cry from the topics you get into in university maths.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
It depends on a lot of other factors as well. What are your other subjects? How're you doing in them? Is it really that bad that you can't continue no matter what?

Sorry to answer a question with a question but you'd make a better decision factoring in those.

funnytomato

HSC
If you're not enjoying Maths Extension 1 - drop it. I also don't see how dropping MX1 will improve ranks in mathematics, unless you'll spend more time studying it.
+1
even if you keep 3u maths, you should make sure you're confident with 2u material first

jnney

lemon
HSC
How well are you doing in 2u maths?

There is still time for you to get up to scratch for MX1 if you get into it right now. Keep MX1 if you really enjoy it and you're willing to put in a lot of consistency from now on.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What's your school rank? You could be doing average in an upper school therefore it'll most probably help your ATAR, unless you are boss at your other subjects.

What are your other subjects and how are you going in them? What are your ranks/marks in all subjects approximately or off last report? Will dropping MX1 allow you to study for other subjects that need attention?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Keep it, but don't devote too much time and effort to it, just rock upto the exam, and answer as much as you can, you might be surprised with the result.

wmatt223

HSC
Our school ranks about 60 in the state.

i do chem, eco, adv eng, 2 unit SOR and geo aswell. I'm doing fairly well in each of them especially in economics and geography.

thankyou everyone for your replies, you've given me a bit to think about.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You're average in MX1 at a rank 60 school, you will probably do fairly decently in the exam. But focus on your strong subjects of economics and geo-they could help your ATAR a lot if you perform well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)