• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

MBBS Admission Criteria (1 Viewer)

nuvue

HSC
Hey guys, right now I'm a first year Civil Engineering student at USYD, and to be honest, it's not something I can see myself doing with my life. I would LOVE to do med, but i knew I was never going to get a high enough ATAR to get straight in anyway.

This is from the UWS website:
Criteria 1 – Academic Rank
Greater Western Sydney applicants - ATAR (or equivalent) of 93.5
Up to 1 semester GPA = 6.0
Between 1 semester and 1 year GPA = 5.7
Between 1 year and 3 years GPA = 5.5
3 years, but incomplete GPA = 5.1
Completed degree GPA = 5.1
http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs

Soooooo, does this mean provided I have a GPA of over 5.7 i would be eligible for a place, even though my atar was only 89.15?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Do you live in the area they class as greater western sydney? Then yes if your GPA was greater than 5.7 you would be considered for a place

You would need to sit UMAT and get a sufficiently high enough score, then get invited for interviews and then pass those interviews to get a place though

nuvue

HSC
Yeah I live in Western Sydney so that's no problem, and I know I'd have to sit UMAT and pass interviews and all that, cheers guys. I'm not sure about how they calculate GPA, especially at USYD where they apparently don't even use the GPA system -.-

I Study Hard

HSC
GPA is
P - 4
C - 5
D - 6
HD - 7
You add up however many credits/distinctions blah blah (using the key above) and then average them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)