• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Med Camp @ UNSW (3 Viewers)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Wooz said:
Passion, i cbb arguing anymore :(
Heh, you should have spotted the Bertrand Russell quote in the signature. It suggests a need for something tighter than your average forum argument.

Also, out of interest I suppose, what do you take to be the 'right' reasons for doing medicine?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
medicare, medications and OBGYN

or

$$, drugs and women... *muahahahahah* ... it looks nice on paper but its a lie!!!

jessi90

HSC
Your earlier comments are premised on the following notion: that students of Asian or Subcontinental background are more likely to do medicine solely because of parental pressure, than students of a European background. You are still yet to provide any compelling evidence that this is so, other than a handful of anecdotes. Anecdotes prove nothing, as for every example you give, I could give a splattering of counter-examples. It is particularly important not to rely on anecdotes whenever you make a racially inflammatory remark, because the topic is so sensitive to begin with.

I think it's worth pointing to a distinction here - there is a big difference between doing medicine partly because of parental pressure, and wholly because of parental pressure. I would suggest that probably close to 100% of medical students fit in the former category, in some way or another. It may not mean that the student's parents have insisted that they do the degree, but there are other forms of "parental pressure" - a desire to do one's parents proud, wanting to financially provide for one's parents later in life, repaying one's parents for the sacrifices they have conferred to you etc. More importantly, though, students who fit in the latter category (choose med solely because of parental pressure) do not last very long. Interestingly enough, the drop-out rate from Med school has plummeted since the introduction of the new medical curricula, suggesting that medical schools are now selecting the "right" students (i.e. ones who don't realise that med is not for them and drop out in 1st or 2nd year) - and guess what, the composition of Asians and Subcontinentals has not appreciably changed.

This is a different topic - I assume the Asians/Subcontinentals you were referring to earlier were Australian citizens. Now you're discussing foreign-trained doctors and foreign students, which is another matter. This phenomenon is driven, of course, by a chronic shortage of local doctors, as well as our universities' increasing dependence on private, foreign money, which has deep socioeconomic underpinnings. If this fact irritates you, I'm afraid you have much bigger fish to go fry than a few foreign-trained Muslim doctors holed up in Albury - try taking aim at the world capitalist system instead. Instead of attacking the source of the problem, you are attacking people who are doing nothing more sinister than accepting the invitation of our government to come practise in areas of workplace shortage. Even if their quality of care is inferior to that of locally trained doctors (and I challenge you to provide non-anecdotal evidence of this), it is a slam dunk case that they are better than having no doctors AT ALL in some of these areas, which is the alternative.

I am still bemused by this notion of rural people and others feeling uncomfortable with Muslim doctors. Who cares if they feel uncomfortable? Do you think white parents felt comfortable having their kids go to school with black kids once segregation ended in the deep south of America?

Again, this is a problem related to chronic underfunding and a widespread shortage of doctors in rural areas. Why direct your anger at Asians and "curries", when it's your own government that is at fault for:
a) not doing enough in the past to recruit local doctors, and
b) not screening foreign doctors well enough to ensure they meet adequate standards?

Having said that, pointing to a few anecdotes of bad foreign-trained doctors proves nothing. You'd have to do a statistical analysis to show that their error rate, mortality, morbidity etc is higher than locally trained doctors. Otherwise all you are doing is selectively pointing to examples - I could just as well point to examples of home-bred, white, Anglo-Saxon doctors messing up. Proves nothing.

It's hard to believe that your entire initial post was not directed at Asians/subcontinentals, considering it was elaborating on your initial "I hope your not curry or asian" statement.

Your denials of racism would hold more water if you had said something like, "I hope you're not doing med because your parents forced you to." Instead, you've slurred an entire ethnicity, which I take very personally, since I know countless Asians and "curries" who have worked very, very hard to get into medicine - some slogging through undergraduate degrees, others taking 1, 2, even 3 years off after high school to keep re-trying the UMAT.

Well you don't have to worry about English literacy when it comes to the locally bred Asian/subcontinental cohort, that's for sure. It's hard to imagine English illiterate students getting into any Australian medical school now, considering the interview process most universities require. I also have doubts about your asian anaesthecist reg anecdote - how could someone who barely speaks English pass all his written exams, OSCEs and board certificates?

The point about undergrad vs postgrad med, and motivation to do med, is an interesting one. That's how they do it in the United States, all postgrad. There are several downsides though - for one, postgrad med courses are denser and typically less thorough (especially for students whose undergrad degree was non-science related) since they are 1 or 2 years shorter. 1 or 2 years longer to graduate may not seem like much, but it can make a big difference for women, especially women who start university a bit later in life, and want to have a family etc. I'm not convinced that there aren't better ways to sort out the wheat from the chuff so to speak.
Your earlier comments are premised on the following notion: that students of Asian or Subcontinental background are more likely to do medicine solely because of parental pressure, than students of a European background. You are still yet to provide any compelling evidence that this is so, other than a handful of anecdotes. Anecdotes prove nothing, as for every example you give, I could give a splattering of counter-examples. It is particularly important not to rely on anecdotes whenever you make a racially inflammatory remark, because the topic is so sensitive to begin with.

I think it's worth pointing to a distinction here - there is a big difference between doing medicine partly because of parental pressure, and wholly because of parental pressure. I would suggest that probably close to 100% of medical students fit in the former category, in some way or another. It may not mean that the student's parents have insisted that they do the degree, but there are other forms of "parental pressure" - a desire to do one's parents proud, wanting to financially provide for one's parents later in life, repaying one's parents for the sacrifices they have conferred to you etc. More importantly, though, students who fit in the latter category (choose med solely because of parental pressure) do not last very long. Interestingly enough, the drop-out rate from Med school has plummeted since the introduction of the new medical curricula, suggesting that medical schools are now selecting the "right" students (i.e. ones who don't realise that med is not for them and drop out in 1st or 2nd year) - and guess what, the composition of Asians and Subcontinentals has not appreciably changed.

This is a different topic - I assume the Asians/Subcontinentals you were referring to earlier were Australian citizens. Now you're discussing foreign-trained doctors and foreign students, which is another matter. This phenomenon is driven, of course, by a chronic shortage of local doctors, as well as our universities' increasing dependence on private, foreign money, which has deep socioeconomic underpinnings. If this fact irritates you, I'm afraid you have much bigger fish to go fry than a few foreign-trained Muslim doctors holed up in Albury - try taking aim at the world capitalist system instead. Instead of attacking the source of the problem, you are attacking people who are doing nothing more sinister than accepting the invitation of our government to come practise in areas of workplace shortage. Even if their quality of care is inferior to that of locally trained doctors (and I challenge you to provide non-anecdotal evidence of this), it is a slam dunk case that they are better than having no doctors AT ALL in some of these areas, which is the alternative.

I am still bemused by this notion of rural people and others feeling uncomfortable with Muslim doctors. Who cares if they feel uncomfortable? Do you think white parents felt comfortable having their kids go to school with black kids once segregation ended in the deep south of America?

Again, this is a problem related to chronic underfunding and a widespread shortage of doctors in rural areas. Why direct your anger at Asians and "curries", when it's your own government that is at fault for:
b) not screening foreign doctors well enough to ensure they meet adequate standards?

Having said that, pointing to a few anecdotes of bad foreign-trained doctors proves nothing. You'd have to do a statistical analysis to show that their error rate, mortality, morbidity etc is higher than locally trained doctors. Otherwise all you are doing is selectively pointing to examples - I could just as well point to examples of home-bred, white, Anglo-Saxon doctors messing up. Proves nothing.

It's hard to believe that your entire initial post was not directed at Asians/subcontinentals, considering it was elaborating on your initial "I hope your not curry or asian" statement.

Your denials of racism would hold more water if you had said something like, "I hope you're not doing med because your parents forced you to." Instead, you've slurred an entire ethnicity, which I take very personally, since I know countless Asians and "curries" who have worked very, very hard to get into medicine - some slogging through undergraduate degrees, others taking 1, 2, even 3 years off after high school to keep re-trying the UMAT.

Well you don't have to worry about English literacy when it comes to the locally bred Asian/subcontinental cohort, that's for sure. It's hard to imagine English illiterate students getting into any Australian medical school now, considering the interview process most universities require. I also have doubts about your asian anaesthecist reg anecdote - how could someone who barely speaks English pass all his written exams, OSCEs and board certificates?

The point about undergrad vs postgrad med, and motivation to do med, is an interesting one. That's how they do it in the United States, all postgrad. There are several downsides though - for one, postgrad med courses are denser and typically less thorough (especially for students whose undergrad degree was non-science related) since they are 1 or 2 years shorter. 1 or 2 years longer to graduate may not seem like much, but it can make a big difference for women, especially women who start university a bit later in life, and want to have a family etc. I'm not convinced that there aren't better ways to sort out the wheat from the chuff so to speak.Your earlier comments are premised on the following notion: that students of Asian or Subcontinental background are more likely to do medicine solely because of parental pressure, than students of a European background. You are still yet to provide any compelling evidence that this is so, other than a handful of anecdotes. Anecdotes prove nothing, as for every example you give, I could give a splattering of counter-examples. It is particularly important not to rely on anecdotes whenever you make a racially inflammatory remark, because the topic is so sensitive to begin with.

The point about undergrad vs postgrad med, and motivation to do med, is an interesting one. That's how they do it in the United States, all postgrad. There are several downsides though - for one, postgrad med courses are denser and typically less thorough (especially for students whose undergrad degree was non-science related) since they are 1 or 2 years shorter. 1 or 2 years longer to graduate may not seem like much, but it can make a big difference for women, especially women who start university a bit later in life, and want to have a family etc. I'm not convinced that there aren't better ways to sort out the wheat from the chuff so to speak.Your earlier comments are premised on the following notion: that students of Asian or Subcontinental background are more likely to do medicine solely because of parental pressure, than students of a European background. You are still yet to provide any compelling evidence that this is so, other than a handful of anecdotes. Anecdotes prove nothing, as for every example you give, I could give a splattering of counter-examples. It is particularly important not to rely on anecdotes whenever you make a racially inflammatory remark, because the topic is so sensitive to begin with.

The point about undergrad vs postgrad med, and motivation to do med, is an interesting one. That's how they do it in the United States, all postgrad. There are several downsides though - for one, postgrad med courses are denser and typically less thorough (especially for students whose undergrad degree was non-science related) since they are 1 or 2 years shorter. 1 or 2 years longer to graduate may not seem like much, but it can make a big difference for women, especially women who start university a bit later in life, and want to have a family etc. I'm not convinced that there aren't better ways to sort out the wheat from the chuff so to speak.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
longest post ever.. and so much repetition..

i think its cos aust takes migrants.. and they are smart/hardworking.. u then have their kids.. and they go to med school..
u get ppl tat arent selected.. and u get criminals and other folks.. selection is the key

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
In order to make that above post readable you should try using quote tags. To do so you write:

(quote) enter text of quote here (/quote)

and use square brackets [ ], rather than round parentheses (). It should look like:

enter text of quote here

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
CBB arguing anymore and yeh jessie90 alot of the stuff you said is pretty simillar to ArgueEverything and hard to read, meh. I thought loser would join in by now, lol.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
KFunk said:
Heh, you should have spotted the Bertrand Russell quote in the signature. It suggests a need for something tighter than your average forum argument.

Also, out of interest I suppose, what do you take to be the 'right' reasons for doing medicine?
Yeh, i did spot the quote in Argue's sig block. I wasn't familiar with it and interpreted it wrongly originally and thought it was more or less rather about fate and that i'm up myself for holding sterm beliefs, hmm . But yeh Russell i think advocated individual thought, but yeh he was racist and was forced to retract many quotes of his statements on the inferiority of negro's.

IMO in short: A true desire and passion to help others, from the bottom of your heart and with your own will and not doing medicine to solely 'use up' your uai, fulfill your parents ambitions for you or expections or to just to do it if you can, because it is a life long commitment, and that those who do it for the wrong reasons will regret it. But there will be influences in your will to do medicine, and yeh poindexter, not doing it solefly for pride, sole financial rewards, perving, self-pescribing, etc.

IMO: The thing i hate the most is seeing students dragged to med info sessions and the parents make the kids ask the questions or asks questions and they try to hide behing their parents backs. Also parents escorting kids to the door of the umat test/prep-courses. It's happend alot with my indian friends, who's parents are like nazi's choosing their childrens hsc subjects and uac prefs and yes this is anecdotal but it happens too much and no i'm not being racist here by stating indian's, etc.

Personally, I really want to be a travelling Doctor, i really can't stand working full-on in an hospital environment, i get bored extremely easily, well if im not occupied.

My hopeful desire: Is to transfer into med next year at UWS or anywhere(but yeh UWS coz i'm paying my own way though uni, can't really afford to move interstate but will if i have to), hopefully a CSP place only because I want to be sponsored by the RAAF as a combat doc and train in aeromedical medicine(only coz of alot of first hand exp with them). Thus after my 6 years of service in the Air Force i will have enough exp and a decent CV to join the Royal Flying Doctor Service or another flight retrieval service(Angel flight, Westpac, Careflight) but not CHC. But i wouldn't mind a bonded or MRBS place, i love the bush and don't mind working there either, but yeh the lack of specialisation, family and facilities are a major concern.
But yeh, post-grad med if i fail gettin in next year, and yeh i dont know i might change my undergrad degree, i was really scared and undecertain before, but hopefully i'll get there.

Oh yeh, my fault for highjacking and arguing in the thread, don't post whilst high.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldnt be bothered reading anything above that line.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
markzada said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldnt be bothered reading anything above that line.
meh, you love spammin ey.

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
I love how so many threads pertaining to Medicine turns into a multipage racial debate within the first ten posts.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
TheMelissa said:
I love how so many threads pertaining to Medicine turns into a multipage racial debate within the first ten posts.
this one took one page... and ure asian.. so ur either bemused or offended.. just move on with ure live..

if some ppl argued less online and studied more they would be in medicine too ;)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Wooz said:
oh, yeh do you wana edit a short essay later on for me? (The anti Dr Lisa Lines offer you gave out to every1).
i think u cant say this.. but i could.. just like go... "omg u have 4 degrees from south australia... bogan unis.. thus ure PhD would be lik at most a Certificate III at a NSW TAFE" ... very mean and harsh..

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
this one took one page... and ure asian.. so ur either bemused or offended.. just move on with ure live..
You must surround yourself with emotional degenerates if you think the internet can halt someone's emotional passage through life. Don't take the internet too seriously.

In any case, I think race is irrelevent in the face of sheer stupidity. To whom this concerns, get out more and argue your case for racial selectivity in a pub. :hammer:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Interesting thread.
Most of us are racists, not all, but most of us are racists. Curry and Asians dominate the MBBS because their parents are fucking slugs who push to ensure their sons and daughters have two houses, three cars and 30 wives.
Australia isn't Pakistan, or Asia. Here is where we share, and allow individuals to be free. Not force them into studying for 9 years to only flood our health care system making it sicker than it already is - forced students are likely to dislike what they study, and as a result they will be incompetent graduates. :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)