• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Medical Science Students! (1 Viewer)

starburt8

HSC
N/A
hey everyone, i intend to study medical science next year, however i am worried with the diffculty of the biology/chem/physics subjects at uni, as i have not done them in yr 12, in yr 11 yes but not yr12.

would i struggle? what kind of material will i need to them for those subjects, if you can be VERY SPECIFIC it will be great!

i intend to try to transfer to med after 1 year!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Mate do something at uni that you would enjoy to maximise your WAM/GPA so that you have a higher probability of transferring. Im doing B.Arts or an LLB-law next year.

1st year med sci is a foundation/learning stage for people who have not done many sciences/mathematics at high school level since their are no prerequisites.

However at UNSW it is assumed that u know mathematics and chemistry with biology as a recommended study. Undertaking bridging courses at unsw for chem and or bio should be sufficient.

sladehk

le random
HSC
i reckon all you need to do is do the hw from med and you shoul dbe alright, nothing you need specifically, mb a lil bit of chem but meh

gracie007

HSC
well i did a med sci unit and i have done bio and chem in year 12, and found it to be a pretty big help. however i have never been good at/ done physics or > general maths so i wouldnt worry about that aspect of things. but u didnt mention maths.
umm just curious, how come u havent studied science at all in year 12 but u wanna do med? i love studying the human body and because of that i love science and therefore studied it. just my take! good luck

K

katie_tully

hey everyone, i intend to study medical science next year, however i am worried with the diffculty of the biology/chem/physics subjects at uni, as i have not done them in yr 12, in yr 11 yes but not yr12.

would i struggle? what kind of material will i need to them for those subjects, if you can be VERY SPECIFIC it will be great!

i intend to try to transfer to med after 1 year!
If you struggle with first year Med Sc subjects I think you're going to struggle with Medicine subjects.
Chemistry yes, lots of chemistry. Biology more so Anatomy and Physiology than anything else. Physics not so much.

If you didn't do any chem in year 12 don't stress *too* much, as first year chem subjects are very similar to yr 12 Chem. They start at the 'atom' stage and then you work your way up to more complex stuff.

aussiechica7

HSC
1st yr uni science subjects r about as difficult as yr 12 it's just that they have so much more work and u do it in such a shorter time. u will struggle a bit without taking it in yr 12, but with a tutor and dedicated study u can kick butt. uni is more relaxed than yr 12 in general, so if u do ur work u should do better than most ppl (and thus have ur marks scaled up).
for med: chem helps biochemistry but there r ppl that take med and have no science background. u pick up what u need 2 know as u go along. physics might b helpful w radio, but that 2, u'll pick up later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)