• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

MKTG 1001 mid-semester exam (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
If you have any questions please discuss them here.
Also, I would like to know how difficult the exam is and what kind of stuff they will ask? Just textbook stuff?
I just don't know how they can get 50 questions from what we've learnt.
And is everything tested including last weeks lecture?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ok guys. This took me ages to do, but feel free to use it to study. This is a very very good summary of Chapters 1, lecture 1 plus extra notes. So it's pretty exhaustive.

Ignore the ditital security screen and click don't show up next time document is opened. I was playing aroudn with security signatures :)

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
From what I can remember, the mid-semester exam was very definition based, and completing sentences...

questions like 'The marketing mix is typically used for:' etc etc

it wasnt too hard last year...

ours was very based on the textbook - not sure if yours will be the same?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I really don't like multiple choice exams. Will there be really stupid answers with obvious correct ones?
Easy to get an HD?
Also, do u still do marketing?

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
The answers get a bit annoying... but they just generally follow the university structure: 2 highly possible answers, 2 definitely nots, and 1 none-of-the-above... (for those who have never done a uni multiple choice before, yes, there are 5 possible answers...)

i think i got a D for it last year, with no study... so it shouldnt be too hard... (the end of semester exam, on the other hand... :p)

and yep, i still do marketing...

current unit: MKTG3001 - Marketing And The Law

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Wow? Marketing and the law? is that a claw unit?

How did u go in the end of sem exam? hard?

Are you finding further marketing units dificult?

Also was market research very maths based?

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah Marketing Law is a combo marketing and claw unit... so students from either major can do it. The only tough thing is competing against the claw students, who know everything about the format, and are much more experienced. But the unit itself is endlessly interesting... and we're starting on advertising next week, which should be really good.

I went fine in the end of semester... managed to maintain my D average... but it was a very dodgy exam. Pretty much was entirely textbook based, with weird questions like "According to [insert name] in Chapter 3 of your textbook, what does the [insert term] mean?" - stuff like that, which was really useless and basically rote learning. I complained heavily about it to the head of the unit... so maybe it'll be changed? :D

So far, no marketing units have been that difficult. Group work gets on your nerves, but you learn to deal with it!

Your first Marketing Research unit involves NO maths at all... its all 'feeling' based. :p The second part does, but not as much as you would expect. :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Awesome :) You're making it sound great. I'm just wondering if there'll be any practical advertising-type stuff. I'd love to develop a product and then design something for it as well.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Also please note that the chapters and notes which we're being tested on are for Ch. 1,2,3,5,7. And all the lecture notes.
The uos outline states that marketing research should have been studied in week 3 but this was not the case.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
That was officially the worst exam I've ever done. EVER. People who didn't study found it easy. They didn't need to think long and hard about the question. However for those (like me) who put in 12+hrs of study there was too much information. I got 2 if not 3 'correct' answers. Rarely were any of them actually correct. They were so damn ambiguous.
I wouldnt be surprised if I got 90% in that test. I also wouldnt be surprised if I got 30%. I don't think multiple choice like this is a fair way of testing knowledge.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
yeah it wasnt exactly an exercise in displaying marketing ability, talent, or even knowledge... it was really just about having a photographic memory

i wouldnt have a clue how i did in this one

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
I reckon i stuffed the test just looked back at a couple of answers and saw that it was wrong :( what's even worse is that it fucks up my engo GWAM since the marketing subject is a core engo unit even though i am going to major in it for commerce..... so both my GWAMS are going to dive :(:(:(

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
yeah it wasnt exactly an exercise in displaying marketing ability, talent, or even knowledge... it was really just about having a photographic memory

Yes. Welcome to marketing exams.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
spin spin sugar said:

i dont think it was a photographic memory test. ive got a photographic memory. i remembered evertyhityng,, bt it was stupid.
sorry 4 poor qwuality. will comment frther tomorrow. am drunk now.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
snakeoils said:
Yes. Welcome to marketing exams.
it's pretty stupid. are they ALL like this? every single subject? is the final exam like this too? gargrhgh.

hey snakeoils, do you know who i could speak to at usyd about marketing/pursuing a marketing major/subject choices etc? theres no way im ever going to pass ecmt so im currently trying to figure out if theres any loopholes, - i'd seriously rather just give up marketing now, i think. even though i love it and want to do it, i'll NEVER pass ecmt and i know it
i didnt know whether to speak to a careers advisor (is there such a thing at usyd?) or a counsellour or the lecturer or what... can u give me any advice about who might be the best person to go to?

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
hey snakeoils, do you know who i could speak to at usyd about marketing/pursuing a marketing major/subject choices etc?
ummmmm... tough question... i'm trying to think...

to be honest, i dont really know... there are some great lecturers you could talk to, if you could ever track them down: Iain Black is one of my favourite guys at the uni...

I think there ARE advisors of some sort around, I've just never used them myself.

I think the name of the man in charge of the entire marketing course is Charles Areni, (or something like that)l... c.areni@econ.usyd.edu.au, i just found out... maybe email him, and he could point you in the right direction?

im guessing you also have Paul as your lecturer this semester? He is a senior lecturer, and could be of some use. As boring as he is. (sorry Paul, no hard feelings).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well. the marks are up. im fucking really pissed off. no. im furious. i got 12.4. That's not even above average. Yet i bet i studied more and knew the material more than 90% of the people there. Here goes my hd. fucking multiple choice. i really hope i will hardly have to deal with 50 mc answers in one exam again

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
If its any consolation, the rest of your assessment tasks from here in should be much more straightforward... do you guys still do the group project, etc?

even if you can't grab an HD, a D that is on the upper scale will certainly help your WAM... so if everything goes okay from here on...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes, its more the shock of losing 8 marks so early on.
And we still do the group proj. Do we get individual marks on it for presentation? Most of my team members are pretty quiet and monotonuous.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
im not sure about the presentation marks... our group was a very strong group, so i never really thought about it...

but some advice for the presentation: it pays to be a little different, and do things with a bit of flair...

for example, we made signs and banners, had colour coded outfits, "sample" products to give to the audience, etc... because our product was aimed at a youth market, so we wanted to do a presentation with energy and vitality.

just make sure the mood of your presentation matches your product.

and as tempting as it is to go first and get a mark upgrade (they usually do that in uni for presentation groups who go in the first week), i always try and go towards the end of the schedule, because if you do something different, it will stand out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)